DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up with a local electronics store to get my dishnetwork service 16 months ago. They told me that if anything went wrong, to call them and not Dish network.

I want to upgrade one of my boxes to HD. Do I have to go through the retailer? I get the feeling that they're trying to make as much money off me as possible.

·
Icon
522 Posts
You might need more than just a new receiver.

Dish has an "upgrade" program.

You'll have to pay additional for HD channels.

Your local channels might not be in HD.

Dish can give you more info.

Bob

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the impression that this little shop "owned" my receiver, so would DishNetwork take the old out out and swap in a new HD DVR box for me?

I already have a HD only box in my basement, but I have a SD box in the living room that runs two TV's with DVR.

I want to put a new HD DVR box in the living room and keep the other 2 TVs with DVR capability.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
To whom do you send your monthly payment? I assume you get a monthly bill from Dish network and not your local provider?

Reason I ask... there has been more than one report of local "shady" dealers who will setup equipment and then bill you directly for a "hacked" receiver... and you never actually have a Dish network account at all... so if you called Dish network it would alert them to the scam.

NOT saying this is what happened in your case... but just opening the door a crack for the possibility since you say they wanted you to call them and not Dish for any problems.

·
2 Posts
slackeyed said:
I got the impression that this little shop "owned" my receiver, so would DishNetwork take the old out out and swap in a new HD DVR box for me?

I already have a HD only box in my basement, but I have a SD box in the living room that runs two TV's with DVR.

I want to put a new HD DVR box in the living room and keep the other 2 TVs with DVR capability.
From the day you are installed Dish warranties all your equipment. Only in the first 6 months must you deal with your retailer for them to fulfill their contract with Dish. Since you have been a customer for 18 months you can call Dish and do a "Dish'n it Up" upgrade to the HD DVR (622) that you want for $199. That would give you HD and DVR in your living room on TV1 and SD DVR in another room, TV2. You could either keep your dual tuner DVR and have 4 TV'S or you could swap it out for a single tuner DVR for just 3 TV'S. If you are in a lease agreement now you would be sent a box and lable to return any equipment you are replacing at not cost to you to Dish. If you own the equipment you have the option to keep your old equipment or return it to Dish for a credit on your account.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.