DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish Network setup my father's satellite about a year ago and now he wants to move it to the basement and asked me for some help reconnecting the equipment but I'm having a problem.

There are three satellite receivers, one HDTV receiver, one DVR receiver, and one regular receiver (sorry, I don't have model numbers available but I can get them if needed!).

From what I've gathered there are two lines coming from the dish (LNB's?) to the house. One runs to the bedroom where the normal receiver is at, and the other runs to the basement.

HERE IS THE STRANGE PART! Apparantly the satellite line run the basement was connected to the DVR receiver, then the OUTPUT (??) from the receiver was connected (through the walls) to the upstairs HDTV receiver.

Does the DVR receiver have some sort of special satellite-line "pass-through" that allows me to connect a 2nd receiver (eg. the HDTV receiver) to it?

I've tried using the splitters that Dish network gave my father to split the incoming satellite line (so one line would go into each receiver) but that didn't seem to work. I think that's because the splitter was some sort of special splitter than had DC power going to one side of the split and VHF going to the other side.

Sorry for the long post but if anybody could help me out I would greatly appriciate it.

In case you skipped to the bottom, here is a summary:

Does the Dish Network DVR allow me to connect a 2nd satellite receiver up to it or do I need a "special" splitter to split the actual coax line coming from the satellite?

Thanks for any help!

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
If those two dish lines go to a switch (say a DP34), you could feed three receivers, but each receiver needs its own dedicated coax for DBS signals. You can't run three DBS receivers from just two lines from the dish, or use any splitter to feed two DBS receivers from the same coax. Getting the model numbers of the DISH receivers would go a long way toward identifying what is currently active. My >GUESS< would be that the HDTV receiver is only for OTA HD and not for any DISH supplied channels.

There is a special separator that could be thought of as splitting a coax run to two tuners on the same receiver, but it is a very special case to feed a dual tuner receiver. That separator cannot be used to feed two receivers. It would look like http://www.dishstore.net/popup_image.php?pID=159

Chances are, your "splitters" are diplexers. Maybe looking something like http://www.smarthome.com/includes/showimage2005.asp?img=/images/7815big.jpg where an OTA antenna signal is brought into the house to the basement where the satellite signal in that image connects to the DVR's sat input. It could even go to a separator to feed two sat inputs if the DVR is a 522/625 dual tuner. The VHF/UHF signal from a diplexer could be combined with the DVR's RF output and sent on its own cable to the HDTV receiver and HDTV. Such a setup could give the HDTV access to OTA digital channels (HD) and all the SD channels on the DVR downstairs. You could be doing that if the HDTV receiver wasn't even a DISH receiver. I'd look first at the HDTV receiver for model and see what is connected to its satellite input (if it has one).

You don't need anything special - you can't split the line to feed more than 1 receiver. A switch could feed multiple receivers, but they each need their own dedicated coax from the switch to the receiver.

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
CABill said:
If those two dish lines go to a switch (say a DP34), you could feed three receivers, but each receiver needs its own dedicated coax for DBS signals.
You mean feed three satellites to 4 (single tuner) receivers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.