DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have U-Verse, and have had it for a long time, Generally I have been quite happy with the service. However, I was told by an ATT friend of mine, that U-Verse is going away and will be replaced by Direct TV stream.

So...several questions:
1.The one dissatisfaction I have with U-Verse is the poor sound options, IE: 5.1 D only. I have a full home theater with ATMOS, Dolby Sound, and all the other options.
2. Does Stream offer the extended sound options.
3. Does Stream offer 4k when available in a movie? If yes, what level of 4k. (HDR options)
4. Does Stream offer 3D movies if released in 3D? (Like the upcoming Avatar II) (Even if we purchase, rather than rent)
5. Generally speaking, has Stream performed well?
6. Is there any way, Stream provided or aftermarket, to save content on my own DVR, etc. (I don't like the cloud....as my being a retired network service tech, the cloud is a major security risk, contrary to what we are told.
I think that is it for now.....
Thanks for putting up with my questions.

TOK

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,539 Posts
In and of itself, DIRECTV STREAM is an HD video service that typically maxes out a Dolby AC3 (5.1). Depending on your subscription, you may have authentication to other streaming services (like HBO Max) where higher-spec non-linear offerings are available but those don't come through the DIRECTV STREAM app.

26,539 Posts
Here is going whole subforum - DTV streaming - at your disposal
DBSTalk doesn't offer a DIRECTV STREAM sub-forum so that's clearly not an option.

Further, using DIRECTV subscriber jargon ("DTV" was based on a stock market symbol that was vacated years ago) is surely not appropriate when communicating with a professed long-time Uverse subscriber.

· Godfather
2,154 Posts
DBSTalk doesn't offer a DIRECTV STREAM sub-forum so that's clearly not an option.

Further, using DIRECTV subscriber jargon ("DTV" was based on a stock market symbol that was vacated years ago) is surely not appropriate when communicating with a professed long-time Uverse subscriber.
You are complaining about someone using DTV instead of Directv? Seriously, the way you use word salads?

26,539 Posts
You are complaining about someone using DTV instead of Directv?
In the context of a Uverse subscriber, yes I am.

Would you condone using the term MOPAR in the context of a Subaru owner?

· Super Moderator
54,208 Posts
In the context of a Uverse subscriber, yes I am.

Would you condone using the term MOPAR in the context of a Subaru owner?
Are you claiming MOPAR owns Subaru?

UVERSE is provided by DIRECTV.

26,539 Posts
Are you claiming MOPAR owns Subaru?
I made no implication of ownership whatsoever.

I questioned whether it was appropriate to address those who run in Subaru circles using trademarked Chrysler terminology.
UVERSE is provided by DIRECTV.
Are you suggesting that a subscription to U-verse logically implies omniscience with respect to DIRECTV jargon?

Does being a Fiat owner make one familar with Chrysler jargon because both marques are part of the Stellantis group?

The distinction is important given that in the U-verse subscriber community (and others not largely familiar with DIRECTV), "DTV" may more likely be associated with digital TV (aka ATSC) than DIRECTV.

26,539 Posts
There's a 5 page thread of him arguing about the release date of a 39 yr old computer, what do you expect?
Given that you were the other side of that argument and you are still wrong (the IBM PC is 41 years old), what did you expect?

· Icon
4,491 Posts

But you're a professed long-time DISH subscriber, and you appear to be familiar with DIRECTV "jargon". Btw, its actually an abbreviation, not jargon.

26,539 Posts
Any questions?
Your "rallying cry" doesn't make sense given that the IBM PC (model 5150) is not the IBM PC XT (model 5160).

Your attached capture clearly shows that I was speaking in reference to the IBM PC XT and not the IBM PC as you are claiming. It didn't support your argument the other thread and it doesn't support your argument in this one.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Your "rallying cry" doesn't make sense given that the IBM PC (model 5150) is not the IBM PC XT (model 5160).

Your attached capture clearly shows that I was speaking in reference to the IBM PC XT and not the IBM PC as you are claiming. It didn't support your argument the other thread and it doesn't support your argument in this one.
Time for you to take the L and move on.

26,539 Posts
Btw, its actually an abbreviation, not jargon.
According to a popular dictionary of the English language:
Merriam-Webster said:
jargon
1 of 2
noun
jar·gon ˈjär-gən
-ˌgän
: the technical terminology or characteristic idiom of a special activity or group
This includes abbreviations (like RBI in baseball or PAT in football). That is how there can be so many TLAs with different meanings depending on the context.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
According to a popular dictionary of the English language:This includes abbreviations (like RBI in baseball or PAT in football). That is how there can be so many TLAs with different meanings depending on the context.
RBI and PAT aren't abbreviations, they're acronyms. Hint: that's what the A in TLA stands for. And MOPAR is neither, its a portmanteau.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.