DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I currently have a Direct TV DVR R15

It is in my lounge and has NO phone/land line connection, It just does its updates etc through the satellite signal .

I now would like to add another receiver in my daughters room,

When I go to the Direct TV website and add another receiver it says I must have a phone land line connection.

The problem is we do not have a land line

1.So my question is do I really need a land line or could I just get the same model DVR and would it work OK

2. When you add another receiver do they come to you house and run the cables etc and connect it all up or do I have to do that

Thanks in advance

· Registered
4,086 Posts
No, you do not need a phone line. Without the phone line you will just not be able to purchase PPV or have caller ID. So, you will be fine and all of your DVR functions will work.

On your second question. If you are having Directv install it. They will run whatever lines are needed to get it to work.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mhayes70 said:
No, you do not need a phone line. Without the phone line you will just not be able to purchase PPV or have caller ID. So, you will be fine and all of your DVR functions will work.

On your second question. If you are having Directv install it. They will run whatever lines are needed to get it to work.
1.Any PPV or channel change, I currently do over the internet by logging into my account

2. Do they charge for the install if I buy the receiver from them ?? As i guess they will have to install some sort of splitter or something

Thanks for you help

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
enajj said:
2. Do they charge for the install if I buy the receiver from them ?? As i guess they will have to install some sort of splitter or something
Depending on your current setup [ ODU type, number of IRDs ] they might have to install a multiswitch.
If you buy the IRD they might build a Add Outlet order which is $45 AFAIK. Not sure what the current deals are on DVR upgrades. DVR upgrades do come with 24mo contract FYI.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Current set up the cables from the Dish go to a
Zinwell Wide Band 6 x8 MultiSW Part no WB68

and from there go to the existing Receiver

So I guess I could just install the new cabling to this MultiSW and connect them to Out 3 & 4 on the MultiSW as out 1 & 2 are currently being used by the existing setup

Will this work ?

Thanks again

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
enajj said:
I emailed DirectTV and they replied $99.00 Wow its like 15 feet from the MultiSW to the new location, I will just do it myself

Thanks again everyone
Just make sure they will refund any DVR you'd buy yourself. And make sure it is done right or any service call might not be covered under the PP if you have that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.