DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum...love the info.

I'm a long time D* TV customer and am FINALLY getting HD TV...I have an Install scheduled next week. But I would like to run the lines myself...as long as I use the RG-6 cables....Do these install guys mind that much if I do this myself? I have a pretty extensive HT set up, so I not worried about messing up. I'm just gonna replace my current RG-6 line with 4 new ones. 'll just make sure I leave plenty of extra cable at each end for final placement.

thanks

Patrick

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Sure. When my AT-9 was installed, the installer added two lines to the ones I had, running them to where my multiswitch was located. He then replaced the multiswitch with couplers to the four cables running to the receiver locations. If you have an OTA antenna diplexed into your current cabling, you should replace that with dedicated cable(s).

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool...I hope to have most of the connections to my TV, receiver, DVD etc...completed and so all the tech will need to do is set up the dish, connect a few RG-6 cables outside, install the H20 to to my system, contact D* for the HD service (I bought the R15 already from BB and should have that already hooked up) and we are ready to go.

· Legend
125 Posts
pbenson1167 said:
Cool...I hope to have most of the connections to my TV, receiver, DVD etc...completed and so all the tech will need to do is set up the dish, connect a few RG-6 cables outside, install the H20 to to my system, contact D* for the HD service (I bought the R15 already from BB and should have that already hooked up) and we are ready to go.
Thats what I did, had everything set up (even the dish) He came pointed the dish plugged in the cables to the back of my prewired HR20 and activated. Was done in 15-20 min

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
pbenson1167 said:
But I would like to run the lines myself...as long as I use the RG-6 cables....Do these install guys mind that much if I do this myself?
They should be as happy as pigs in slop.

I would suggest that if you don't have the recommended compression fittings and tool that you let them put the ends on the cables.

· DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
When I had the AU9 put up, i had to run more cables (I know had two DVRs plus many regular receivers). He installed a multi-switch for me and gave me lots and lots of dual-coax cable to make the runs with (much easier than running individual lines). He then went into his truck and gave me a huge bag full of compression connectors. I already had the compression tool (like $13 bucks at the local OSH).

If you're installing your own cables, you really should get your own compression tool and compression connectors. They are easier to put on than hex crimp and provide a better connection. When I looked at the store, the hex crimp tool was $2 more than the compression tool. The compression connectors are more expensive than the hex ones, but well worth it. That's why I was so happy he gave me a big bag of them!

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cut off all the original connectors so that is one thing I woul like him to do...put on new ones that go to the dish and to the equipment. All the other optical and component cables...I will have in place.

5 Posts
I'm awiting a R15 install in a couple of weeks. I asked the telephone rep if I could pull my own cable, as this will involve a run to a second story room where I already have conduit run through my attic. I don't want to risk the installer running the cable up the exterior of my house.

The DTv person told me to call the installers, who said absolutely not. I'm going to do it anyway, but I was surprised that they didn't appreciate my offer to help them out.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long is a "longer" run that would require solid copper.?...I'm not sure if I used solid or copper plated steel (currently at work). My longest run (for the R15) was two lines of 40-50 ft.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my install occured as schedule and all seems well so far...The HD looks great...The installer wasn't upset that I ran the cable already (he was done in about 2 hrs) and all he did was set up the 5 LNB dish and connect 3 receivers.

The picture on my HD TV looks great with the H20 receiver...can't wait till the next HD broadcast football game. ESPN HD Sportscenter looked outstanding reviewing the monday night game. Michael Irvin is now even uglier than usual...but thats OK.

Solid coppver vs. copper clad steel thank goodness was not an issue...the wire the installer brought with him was copper clad steel.

Just got to train the wife on the new remote.

Thanks for all the info Guys...much appreciated.

Patrick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.