DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is word for word from Zinwell manual that came with my WB68 on bottom of page 3:

Do not diplex (combine) an off-air signal with a Ka/Ku dish signal, since the Ka-Lo band of 250-750 MHz occupies the same frequency band as the off-air signal and will cause interference.

Just connect your OTA antenna to "off air in" on back of HR20/H20 only. Do not connect OTA antenna to a Zinwell multi switch.

· Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PoitNarf said:
Yes, this has been known for quite some time.
I only posted this because it seems some members think it's okay, and I'm trying to save them the headache later. Some have posted diagrams which suggest connecting OTA directly to a Zinwell multi switch and this contradicts what the manual says.

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
I only posted this because it seems some members think it's okay, and I'm trying to save them the headache later. Some have posted diagrams which suggest connecting OTA directly to a Zinwell multi switch and this contradicts what the manual says.
Assuming you are talking about

No they didn't.

While I think there are potential issues, mainly because the BBC are not weather proofed, which is typically where the BBC would live in that diagram, it is unknown what kind of distance limitation there are coming out of the BBC and lastly I am not sure the diplexer will handle the high end frequency, he is diaplexing after the BBC up converts the frequencies that compete with the OTA frequencies. I have no idea if this would work or not, but he is not diaplexing into the Zinwell multiswitch, which won't work.

With that being said, I wouldn't do it, I would just run a new line for the antenna.

· Icon
550 Posts
btmoore said:
Assuming you are talking about

No they didn't.

While I think there are potential issues, mainly because the BBC are not weather proofed, which is typically where the BBC would live in that diagram, it is unknown what kind of distance limitation there are coming out of the BBC and lastly I am not sure the diplexer will handle the high end frequency, he is diaplexing after the BBC up converts the frequencies that compete with the OTA frequencies. I have no idea if this would work or not, but he is not diaplexing into the Zinwell multiswitch, which won't work.

With that being said, I wouldn't do it, I would just run a new line for the antenna.
All of these issues are the potential gotchas with the diagram proposed. It is something that might be worth looking at however for when people might have constraints on getting a 3rd run of coax in. I would have to say the biggest concern I see is the diplexer itself. Most of this equipment is rated to 2000MHz, and the BBC shifts the Ka-Lo band up to as high as 2150MHz. The distance is also a bit of a concern, but I would have to say anything below 50-60ft is pretty safe, and weatherproofing would be a big concern for anyone entertaining putting this outside (which I would never endorse with the current BBC hardware).

· Godfather
260 Posts
Mine is working fine, but I have 2 non-diplex lines running into the HR20 and the diplex line into an antenna splitter and the sat feed into an old Sony box and everything seems to work fine. The OTA into my tv's, FM receiver and Sony sat box have no issues and a very clear OTA signal. The BBC's are on the lines directly into the HR20.

· Godfather
260 Posts
This is my setup:
Master Bedroom - 2 lines - DirecTivo-SD - no diplex
Computer Room - 1 line - Sony SAT-A60 (I think that is the model number) - no diplex
Living Room - 2 lines - HR20 - no diplex/1 line - Sony SAT-B60 - diplexed

I have a 52" HDTV with the HR20 and a 26" SDTV with the Sony box in the Living Room. So I only have one diplexed feed, that is what the installer said the Zinwell switch would handle.

· Godfather
260 Posts
I have the OTA signal and sat signal combined and use a diplexer to split the sat/ota signal just like I did with my old Sony 2-LNB dish and 3x4 multiswitch, they replaced those items with the AT-9 and Zinwell WB-68. The Sony SAT-B60 is an older SD sat receiver (I have had this one about 6 years) with an OTA input.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
So then basically, from what I am reading from people, is that it is not a good idea to put the D* provided OTA antenna directly into the "Flexport" connection on the WB68, the out to a Diplexer, without having to run a combiner for my 2 HR10-250's, and my H10? Is this correct!?

· Legend
185 Posts
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, but can you diplex cable modem signals with DirecTV HD signals?

Here's my situation. I use Comcast for my high-speed internet. When DirecTV came to install the (SD) dish, the diplexed the signal. So there are two cables that go from the back of the house to the front of the house. One of these cables is diplexed with the cable modem signal, then split so that one end goes to the office, the other end goes to my bedroom.

I will be making the switch to HD in the next few weeks. Will they have to install a third line from the back to the front or can I just continue to use the diplex installation?

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Goobz! said:
So then basically, from what I am reading from people, is that it is not a good idea to put the D* provided OTA antenna directly into the "Flexport" connection on the WB68, the out to a Diplexer, without having to run a combiner for my 2 HR10-250's, and my H10? Is this correct!?
Correct, you can't do this. The flexports are not for OTA, they are for the 95 and 72.5 satellites (international and for the locals in some areas). And for those people who post that they are diplexing successfully with the 5-lnb dish and new receivers (and in some cases the old 5x8 multiswitches) it will NOT WORK when the new DirecTV 10/11 satellites launch in 2007, because they will generate signals which when they come from the dish will be in the same frequency band as OTA. You will need to use the new wide-band multiswitches, and either run a separate RG-6 to the receiver for OTA or relocate the b-band converters and use diplexers as has been posted a number of times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.