DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another of the many reasons I want to switch from TWC is because they show religious programming up until noon on Sundays in my city and they don't have national feed options. That means if i.e. a major sporting event is scheduled in the morning, they are not going to cut-in to the game until noon and they do not repeat the entire game or any part of it missed (it's a good thing football doesn’t start until noon). Will the same thing happen with DirecTV? If I look at the schedule on the DirecTV website for any given Sunday, it shows religious and "paid programming" on NBC, ABC, and FOX for my city up until noon. I see that they also have the national feeds for these stations that show the regular programming. Do those national feeds get blocked if I can get them locally? If they do get blocked, can you sign up for DirecTV without getting local channels and opt for the national feeds only? Thanks.

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's shocking. I don't understand why ABC for instance would even bother to broadcast a soccer game that's exclusive to them for 10:00 a.m. on Sunday knowing that most people across the country will never see it on their local affiliates. I could be wrong about "most", but I lived in many large (a million or more people) cities in my life and I seem to recall them all showing religious and paid programming on major networks on Sunday morning. I thought for sure satellite would be the way to solve all that nonsense.

· Godfather
332 Posts
the vast majority of affiliates do not pre-empt network programming on weekend mornings with anything. It all depends on where you live. Unfortunately it sounds like you probably live in the bible belt.

Denver, LA, Boston, New York, Minnesota, Illinois... I've lived all those places and the local networks rarely (if ever) pre-empt network sports for local programming.

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, you're right. Now that I think of it most of the cities I have lived in are considered very conservative. I assume it's not possible (or illegal) for an installer to hook me up as though I live in another city. Getting local programming and commercials means nothing to me.

P.S. - glad your a Rapids fan too. I lived in Denver (not conservative) for many years and still call it home even though I have now lived in Texas longer. I seem to recall them showing that stuff too on Sunday morning but it has been 12 years since I lived there and my memory could have faded or things may have changed.

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
jyafink said:
Yeah, you're right. Now that I think of it most of the cities I have lived in are considered very conservative. I assume it's not possible (or illegal) for an installer to hook me up as though I live in another city. Getting local programming and commercials means nothing to me.
Problem is locals are on spot beams and you would need to be in the same spot to get them. I believe it's also a violation of DirecTv terms and really not a topic that can/should be discussed here.

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't advocating anything illegal, I'm just a newbie who knows very little about satellite. My thinking was, if I had a legitimate contract with DirecTV, why should they care what city I get my locals from? I'd still be paying them the same amount of money no matter what. Wouldn't they be able to compare my selected city to the city I am actually in, and blackout NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB games to stop me from trying to avoid paying for sports subscriptions? Like I said, I know next to nothing about how all that works.

· Legend
221 Posts
If one of your local affiliates is owned and operated (commonly called O&O), you should be able to get either the west or east coast feed (including HD) of that channel. Here in CT our NBC affiliate is owned and operated by NBC, therefore I was able to call DirecTV and have them add WNBC HD (ch 82) to my account.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.