DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mentor
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming here from being with Time Warner for the last 25 years, and I
will NOT bad mouth them. I was always treated with respect and had wonderful service, but using their dvr's (sa8300) is like you are in the dark ages. To be able to make MY OWN guide with only the channels I want to see is so incredible. having 5 tuners and 1tb of hard drive is beyond my wildest dreams. the hd picture has this intense sharpness that i never had with time warner, I'm not saying they had a bad picture, I just notice this intense sharpness like when I was watching baseball last night. The technology is just so far ahead of cable it really is not funny. Now i will say I don't feel as good when I am talking to directv customer service as I did with time warner, It's just this weird feeling I get like they are always out to get me and I never got that feeling from time warner, BUT maybe it's just in my head. I guess time will tell with that part.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,724 Posts
newb - I hear you and agree with everything you said. Before my dad passed earlier this year, he had Time Warner in Rochester NY. Their customer service was really, really good, but their technology was beyond bad.

I've been with D* since 1997. I've been mad at D* probably once per year for a few days, but that's pretty darn good as far as I'm concerned.

Welcome!

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
Every time I visit my daughter I wonder how she can subscribe to Time Warner.

She always reminds me its free with her rent.

Then I go home and one duh how I can get by with my internet.

Likely the squirls.

Why would anyone call customer service.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"directv newb" said:
. Now i will say I don't feel as good when I am talking to directv customer service as I did with time warner, It's just this weird feeling I get like they are always out to get me and I never got that feeling from time warner, BUT maybe it's just in my head. I guess time will tell with that part.
Do yourself a favor, and at least for tech support stuff that you can wait an hour or so (maybe more if you're posting at 3am), come here first. This site has some of the best guys you can get that can help, or at least point you in the right direction. Use DirecTV for account changes and such unless we can't solve your issue.

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
I've noticed that there are some people that just LOVE Time-Warner and won't even consider another provider. I learned my lesson after having cable for 9 years and finally giving up in 2000.

I was visiting just such a friend not long ago. She had a Scientific-Atlanta DVR from Time-Warner. ($15/month lease fee) I found myself in the living room with it and nobody else around (they were all outside barbequeing!) so I thought I'd see just what a cable DVR had to offer.

Boy, did I find out! Comparing it to DirecTV was like comparing Windows to DOS! It did record shows. It did play back shows. But it was an experience in frustration trying to figure out just how to make it do it. It had the most user-unfriendly GUI I've seen in a long time. Totally unintuitive.

But, she loves it probably because she's never tried anything else. And to quote her "service calls are free and there are no hassles if there is a problem". I have to give it to her on that one having encountered DirecTV's service technicians but between service calls you have to really suffer!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
directv newb said:
I'm coming here from being with Time Warner for the last 25 years, and I will NOT bad mouth them. I was always treated with respect and had wonderful service, but using their dvr's (sa8300) is like you are in the dark ages. To be able to make MY OWN guide with only the channels I want to see is so incredible.
I'm a year into a digital TV/broadband bundle from TWC and the only reason I even considered it is that I have a TiVo HD to use as a DVR. Yeah, it's hard to imagine not being able to edit channels out of the lineup, but I found out that was the case with TWC boxes. As far as Internet goes, they're the only game in town...unfortunately. I've heard rumbling of a fiber roll-out recently, but I heard that four years ago too. Then there's the anti-ad skip patent TWC rolled out recently. :nono2: I haven't canceled DirecTV yet, just suspended, so we'll see what they offer when I call two months from now.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,142 Posts
I use DirecTV for my TV, and Time Warner for my internet...

I just spent three frustrating days trying to get TW to fix my internet connection. Phone calls with long waits, repeated troubleshooting each time I called them, a service call appointment that was missed only to be told that I never had a service call appointment...followed by having to dive 20 miles to pick up the new cable modem I needed from the beginning (which is what I told them in the beginning) unless I wanted to wait until July 6th...

·
AllStar
66 Posts
DTV Installed Tuesday, 34, 23, 25, 25.

TWC TV Fired Wednesday, Still have Internet & Phone.

Had TWC since day one of them taking over CableVision here, they had too many chances from me, to fix a long list of problems, they are good at offering so called freebies to keep you as a customer-->:rolleyes:

So far (Basically one day) of having DTV, I'm a believer, DTV Trumps TWC TV, I watched the Yankees game yesterday and for the first time in years, no Tiling/Blocking/Pixelating going on with the picture.

Definitely a learning curve with DTV, but thanks to this site, I was armed with just enough information to make it understandable for me, now the Wife is complaining like a sinking boat load of Democrats & Republicans blaming each other for the leak, instead of finding a solution to their situation!

HH

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
I have often said one of the most enjoyable days of my life was when I was able to tell TW to take a flying leap. They have terrible customer service and had a habit of screwing up sports blackout restrictions that I have not faced with DirecTV since 2000 when I became a customer.

·
Legend
348 Posts
Raiderguy8 said:
I have often said one of the most enjoyable days of my life was when I was able to tell TW to take a flying leap. They have terrible customer service and had a habit of screwing up sports blackout restrictions that I have not faced with DirecTV since 2000 when I became a customer.
I've had TWC all my life. I have had nothing but positive praise for them and still use TWC for Internet. I changed to Directv about a 2 months ago only because of the Deals i was offered which was significantly lower with added channels a plus. Ironically, and didn't realize it at the time, the Deal ended about 1 hour later (online purchase). Directv has been very good to me (including installation), but i have never had any complaints towards TWC. I guess i'm one of the lucky ones and still use TWC and DirecTV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.