DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question for the day is this

Do you turn your HR20 off @ night or leave it on?

I was under the impression, that even if the HR20 is off it is still operational as far as recording and such goes. This morning I discovered the yellow record light was on and the unit was off, so I thought I would turn it on and see if it screwed up the recording.

This recording is one my lovely wife has been trying to get and today was not a good day.

The first time she tried to record "Sierra" we got video but no audio. Today it was working correctly and both the audio and video worked up until the time which I turned the HR20 on. The video only with no audio.

Man this thing is buggy and will hopefully get fixed.

Does anyone else have to explain to their wife why this unit is worth keeping?

Have a Great and SAFE New Years......

HDfreddy

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
HDfreddy said:
Nah, my wife got her own dedicated plasma to go along with the DVR...so she's willing to deal with its issues and growing pains (even though she does prefer the Tivo interface).

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
Off at night.

And my wife doesn't watch nearly as much tv as me. When I accidentally deleted a show she watches before she could watch it, I bittorreted it, burned it to a DVD and said, here's your show :)

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. It makes sense to me to leave it on, we always leave our Tivo's on. I have 2 of them and they both are awesome and flawless.

The HR is getting their, just not quite their yet.

My wife has a 62" DLP Mits and if I am nice, I get to watch it......:hurah:

HDfreddy

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I was putting it in standby because even the power light is too bright, never mind the light ring. Since the last round of BSB's I've changed to leaving it on all the time. We'll see if it makes any difference.

· Legend
191 Posts
off, or standby, when not in use. decreases the wear and tear on the hard drives since they dont buffer in standby. 3x hdvr2, 1xhr20.

· Mentor
49 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Well, the only way to actually turn it "off" is to unplug it.

DVRs are made to be on 24x7. Even when you put it in standby it's still on, doing all it's stuff, it just cuts the video/audio outputs.
I really wish that it would shut off the audio output over the optical connection. I have the optical output connected using a splitter/combiner with my HR10-250 tivo. When I put the tivo in standby it shuts down output to the optical audio. When ever I want to watch the tivo I have to get up and pull the connection from the HR20 out because it will not shut off.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
HDfreddy said:
My question for the day is this

Do you turn your HR20 off @ night or leave it on?

I was under the impression, that even if the HR20 is off it is still operational as far as recording and such goes. This morning I discovered the yellow record light was on and the unit was off, so I thought I would turn it on and see if it screwed up the recording.

This recording is one my lovely wife has been trying to get and today was not a good day.

The first time she tried to record "Sierra" we got video but no audio. Today it was working correctly and both the audio and video worked up until the time which I turned the HR20 on. The video only with no audio.

Man this thing is buggy and will hopefully get fixed.

Have a Great and SAFE New Years......

HDfreddy
Leave it on 24 X 7.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I am almost 99.9% sure they buffer in standby.

kaz said:
off, or standby, when not in use. decreases the wear and tear on the hard drives since they dont buffer in standby. 3x hdvr2, 1xhr20.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I leave mine on 24x7. Always do with the T* units too.

· ke6cdn
424 Posts
On standby over night and so far so good.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Never put tivos in standby, only put the HR20 in the bedroom to "off" at night. The HT DVRs feed into a channelmax modulator so they can be seen from anyroom and therefore need to be on all the time.

BTW, the HR20 does not buffer after being "off" for more than 10 minutes. (Rumor has it Tivo does the same, but I've never put it into standby...)

Cheers,
Tom

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
kaz said:
Actually I though they buffered in standby. Anyway, I prefer to keep the drives running...more wear on them from spinning down and then back up than just going 24x7 (at least that's my belief :) ).

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
bwaldron said:
Actually I though they buffered in standby. Anyway, I prefer to keep the drives running...more wear on them from spinning down and then back up than just going 24x7 (at least that's my belief :) ).
That's pretty much a proven fact. There is less wear and issues with leaving a hard drive always spinning vs. spinning up and down. One reason why I never shut down my computer either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.