DBSTalk Forum banner

What receivers are sluggish with the new HDUI?

• HR20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HR21

Votes: 274 45.7%
  • HR22

Votes: 156 26.0%
  • HR23

Votes: 145 24.2%
  • HR24

Votes: 64 10.7%
  • H21

Votes: 123 20.5%
  • H23

Votes: 16 2.7%
  • H24

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • H25

Votes: 22 3.7%
  • R22

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • Working as expected, no complaints.

Votes: 19 3.2%
1 - 20 of 360 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
3 HR24s.

Once in the guide or other list, speed is wonderful. Very quick and enjoyable.

However, getting to the guide and other lists is sluggish, as is pulling up QuickTune. Also, when deleting a show from the recorded list, it is very slow.

Overall, one step forward, one step backward. Not slow enough to want to throw the remote as it was on my HR21 of years gone by, but definitely an irritant.

Personally for all the cosmetics that the HDGUI brought to the table, they could have left me the old guide. Same functionality but quicker in almost all respects. I realize that it seems the older units got quicker. But for me, with all HR24s, this was not an upgrade - sidegrade at best.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
I have 2 HR20's and 1 HR21. I don't now that sluggish is necessarily the best way to describe them, but they're not quick.

Things like scrolling the guide are quicker than they were with the old UI.

Things like entering a channel number are as sluggish as they've ever been. If I key in a channel number, it sometimes takes 15-20 seconds to change the channel and have the next one viewable. I often have to key in channel numbers multiple times because it hasn't recognized one of the numbers.

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
My HR20, HR23 and H23 are no more sluggish than before on regular functions and faster in the Guide. WHDVR through an unsupported network works the same and is pretty responsive, seemingly as responsive as other people's systems on DECA and SWiM.

· Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
lparsons21 said:
3 HR24s.

Once in the guide or other list, speed is wonderful. Very quick and enjoyable.

However, getting to the guide and other lists is sluggish, as is pulling up QuickTune. Also, when deleting a show from the recorded list, it is very slow.

Overall, one step forward, one step backward. Not slow enough to want to throw the remote as it was on my HR21 of years gone by, but definitely an irritant.

Personally for all the cosmetics that the HDGUI brought to the table, they could have left me the old guide. Same functionality but quicker in almost all respects. I realize that it seems the older units got quicker. But for me, with all HR24s, this was not an upgrade - sidegrade at best.
Ditto for me - I'd be happy to go back to the old GUI to get the speed back.

· This is only a test...
219 Posts
I have 2 HR24's and 3 R22's. The HR24's overall are quicker than the R22's but the performance on either type of unit is not as good as I had been expecting BUT still better than the old GUI.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
HR22-100's are fairly sluggish when first starting from standby. Took several seconds like 10 or more to see the list popup after pressing the button. It did improve with time.

· Legend
185 Posts
I feel like my HR23 is about the same on most all function except the guide and playlist movement which is much, much better than before. The H23 is faster all the way around, especially the guide, playlist is probably about the same but that's because it's coming from the DVRs across the network. The HR24 is as speedy as it was, maybe some additional speed in the guide and playlist. No complaints, still quite happy.

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
It often feels like it takes longer for the Guide and List to show, but once there, are very fast.

Ironically, in trying to put a number on that, both are very fast on my H25 this morning!

· Icon
1,083 Posts
What I have found with my HR20 is that the FIRST button push has a long response. For example if I hit Guide it might take 5 seconds to come up. Every Guide button push after that is pretty snappy. If it sits too long it will go back to slow, but then it speeds up again. It is as if the HR20 goes to sleep.

My HR23 is another story. It was slow before the HDGUI and is still slow. Had to resort to turning scrolling effects off. (Wife hates that they are off)

· Icon
669 Posts
Both of my HR21s are still slow in pulling up menus or seeing the box respond to direct channel entry. Once you are in the guide or playing list the receiver is very fast. Overall it is better than the old GUI but not the big improvement that was talked about here at DBSTalk.

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
HR24 generally working fine except for intermittent screen saver kicking in.

· Hall Of Fame
3,317 Posts
It works great on my HR24, but my HR21 is pretty much as slow as it was with the old blue GUI.

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
BobStokesbary said:
My experience parallels that of lparsons21 with our HR24s. It also seems MRV is slower for programs recorded on the bedroom DVR and played on the front room DVR. All in all I'm not sure I gained anything on this upgrade.
Yeah, pulling up a show recorded on the remote DVR is much slower than it was when I had the old GUI. Interestingly, it was faster after I had the new one a couple days, then started slowing down.

And no, none of the DVRs have more than 40% of their space being used. Tried restarting all of it, including the CCK, no difference. Just very slow to start the show from a remote DVR.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
While the Guide is fast, the overall response from my Remote is like an old dog on my HR21-100 in comparison to my other Receivers.

1 - 20 of 360 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.