DBSTalk Forum banner

DO YOU TYPICALLY SCHEDULE "BACK-UP" RECORDINGS? YOU CAN MAKE MULTIPLE CHOICES.

• No (or for Multi-Room Viewing only)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I sometimes record the same show on 2 or more HR2x's.

Votes: 95 40.1%
  • I sometimes record the same show on an HR2x and a DirecTiVo (SD or HD).

Votes: 77 32.5%
  • I sometimes record the same show both HD on an HR2x and SD on another DirecTV DVR (non-TiVo).

Votes: 59 24.9%
  • I sometimes record the same show, both SAT and OTA on the same DVR.

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • I sometimes record the same show, both SAT and OTA on different DVRs.

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • I sometimes record the same show on an HR2x and a non-DirecTV DVR (HD or SD).

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • I sometimes record the same show on an HR2x and a PC.

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Other. Explained below.

Votes: 5 2.1%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if you typically schedule add'l recordings of shows you don't want to miss on another HR2x, DirecTiVo, or other recording device in the home (DVR or PC)... or even OTA to avoid rain or snow fade issues?

I know many folks will record the same show on different boxes to give them multi-room viewing flexibility, but this poll is intended to find out if you mainly do it for "insurance" purposes.

TIA for your comments and votes.

/steve

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
I have two HR2x's on my main setup and they both have the same series links so just about everything records twice.

I have the series links in the opposite order so I am able to record up to 4 shows at one time and don't have to worry about conflicts.

· Godfather
542 Posts
Yes, for "must see's", I record them on a 2nd DVR usually on an OTA input (just in case!) ;)

· MRVing
3,781 Posts
I voted for two of the responses because I record some shows on both HR20-700s and also on the PC, but those would of course be HD OTA. .

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David MacLeod said:
Steve, may want to edit the NO in the poll to reflect being used as mrv. looks like people are saying they use multiple ones even though the statements say its not for insurance.
Thanks. Good suggestion. And thanks to the MODS for changing it. :) /steve

· Godfather
294 Posts
Local network shows get recorded on two units, one HR21 SAT (because of the AM21 issues) and HR10-250 OTA because that is the only way for locals. HR10-250 is for "insurance purposes only". My Denon A/V receiver has multi room HD output and SD output. All but two receivers run thru the Denon creating MRV in sorts.

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
I've only ever done it for multi-room viewing.

Never needed/worried about insurance.

Mike

· Legend
261 Posts
I end up deleting a lot of stuff on my SD Tivo in the BR, but it is nice to have the redundancy, especially if you are depending on HD OTA. Occasionally, the OTA will be unwatchable in very windy weather. I probably "dual record" 40 to 50% of the time.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Yes I do. I mirror recordings on my HR20 and HR21, however at different priorities so a show may not record on both depending.

However, I've been doing this for years after I lost an entire season of Buffy due to my DirecTivo crashing. After replacing I got a second DirecTivo and having that 2nd one saved my bacon more then once due to issues with one or the other DirecTivo. I continue that practice today and always have 2 DVRs mirroring important shows because you just never know when a hard drive or what not will fail.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.