DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've had the HR20 for some time now and after some initial teething issues, it's working pretty well now.

However, one thing in particular is annoying me. For recordings of most primetime shows on the local channels it is cutting off the end of the preview for next week's show. eg. Lost, Desperate Housewives, ER all do the same thing. It cuts off about 5-10 seconds at the end. My old Tivo never did this. It always got all of the preview. I know I can change the season pass for an extra minute as a workaround but I shouldn't really have to do this.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Chickendonut

· Registered
12,607 Posts
You can thank the TV Networks for this. It's all about how they schedule shows to stop and start at goofy times, like 10:01pm instead of 10:00pm. Most likely if you compared your DirecTivo and HR20 DVR on the same recordings, they would end at the same time. I'm using both an HR20 and HR10-250 DirecTivo and often have this same problem.

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Yep. That's the fault of the networks starting and ending programs "off" the usual, exact hour and half-our boundaries. I have this problem often on Spike (cuts off the last ten - twentcy seconds of CSI reruns), but never have it on SciFi recordings of Battlestar Galactica. I understand some DVRs have implemented "soft" padding (starting a few seconds early, stopping a few seconds late) if there's no other need for the tuner right away; that would be an excellent feature to add to the HR20.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
litzdog911 said:
"Soft padding" would be a great feature. That's how my MediaCenter PC works .... if nothing is schedule to record right after the current recording, then it runs an extra couple of minutes.
I like the soft padding idea. I'm constantly getting hit with not being able to view the previews of next week's show.

· Godfather
340 Posts
Vinny said:
I like the soft padding idea. I'm constantly getting hit with not being able to view the previews of next week's show.
I don't really care. But it pisses the wife off. She gets about half of the previews and it cuts off. Then I get the look.:ramblinon

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Twosted said:
I don't really care. But it pisses the wife off. She gets about half of the previews and it cuts off. Then I get the look.:ramblinon
I hate that look!

· Legend
181 Posts
mtnagel said:
Same here. Wife loves previews. I couldn't care less.
We both dive for the remote when the previews come on ("next week on Criminal Minds .....") - I think it is like skipping forward when reading a book to see what is happening in the next chapter.

I like the idea of soft padding at the end and beginning, and if you are recording back to back shows on the same channel why couldn't it soft pad both of them, so you would have the same data at the end of show 1 and at the beginning of show 2?

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
Andrew_J_M said:
I like the idea of soft padding at the end and beginning, and if you are recording back to back shows on the same channel why couldn't it soft pad both of them, so you would have the same data at the end of show 1 and at the beginning of show 2?
Awesome idea!

· Icon
797 Posts
Endpad plus was a hack that did soft padding for TiVo's. What a SWEET feature that was to have. I can't imagine why DVR makers don't include that. It worked flawlessly.

Xaa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.