DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone watch this Saturday night? I didn't even know it was airing until I noticed that PrimEvil was airing at 8pm instead of 9pm. I'm guessing this was one of the special episodes of Doctor Who that is airing before the next official season. The Guide stated that the original air date was 03/29/2009, but I definitely don't remember seeing it back then. Were they just re-airing it now as a ramp up to the next special episode "Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead"?

As for the show, it had a good concept, but fell a little flat. There did not seem to be a lot of character development as they seemed to throw things at you pretty quickly. My wife also made the comment about how bad the show was. I told her it was supposed to be campy (as all Doctor Who shows are), but thinking about it, I think it was a little off the deep-end this time.

I also noticed that the info in the guide listed Catherine Tate as one of the actors in the show, although she is not in this episode. Also, I liked how they managed to show every Doctor during the little playback of the The Doctor's history.

- Merg

· Registered
14,213 Posts
Saturday night was the U.S. Premiere - I had it on my Summer TV List! :)

Like you said, it was a bit flat. There were some scenes that made no sense at all and several of the supporting cast (except for the lead antagonist) were really not very interesting.

Despite that, it was still new "Doctor", so I enjoyed it anyway. :)

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
I don't know the date, but it should have originally aired this past December in the UK, since it was the Christmas special... but I too noticed the weird March date on the EPG.

I also noticed that they often have the EPG wrong for who is starring... Last year the credits sometimes had "Freema Agyman" even in episodes she wasn't a part of... so it seems like someone at Tribune keeps copy/pasting old info into the EPG for Doctor Who!

It was a little odd, as an episode... but some of them are so I chalk it up to that mostly. In theory, we also might have been missing a few minutes due to cutting for time contraints. I think this episode should have been a 58 minute one roughly, but I doubt that fit into the 75 timeslot allotted with all the commercial time.

It had some good moments though, lots of references to other bits and the scene of all the past Doctors was kind of neat.

· Icon
748 Posts
Darn, I missed it. I didn't watch Primeval until Sunday. I tried searching for a repeat of it but couldn't find any showings. If someone sees when it will be re-shown please put it in this thread so I can record it. Thanks in advance.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if it is going to be rebroadcast unless they do it right before the next Doctor Who episode/mini-movie, which I believe is scheduled for July 20th. It's strange that I keep seeing ads for that one, yet did not see one for this past one. As I had accidentally deleted my Doctor Who SL, I truely got lucky in seeing that it was on since I watch Primevil.

- Merg

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
It probably didn't record it because it wasn't an episode, it was a special.

· Hall Of Fame
2,008 Posts
The Next Doctor was the British Chrismas Dr Who special for xmas 2008. All Doctor who XMas specials are light hearted and Campy. I did like the Guy who played the other Doctor, he was pretty good.

· Godfather
521 Posts
I especially liked his TARDIS. What did he call that again?

The cybermen were pretty careless with their memory archives. The Cyberman King seemed a little clunky. Steel plates and gears rather than whatever the actual cybermen use to move.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Church AV Guy said:
The cybermen were pretty careless with their memory archives. The Cyberman King seemed a little clunky. Steel plates and gears rather than whatever the actual cybermen use to move.
I'm guessing that the idea is that since they were in the 1800's, the Cyberman King was made according to the materials and technology around at the at time. Just a guess...

- Merg

· Godfather
521 Posts
The Merg said:
I'm guessing that the idea is that since they were in the 1800's, the Cyberman King was made according to the materials and technology around at the at time. Just a guess...

- Merg
Of course that occurred to me, but the cybermen themselves did not appear to be so "limited" by the time that they were in. Just a comment, not really a criticism, or at least, not meant to be. Lucky they didn't end up in 250BC. What would the cyber king have been made of THEN?:D

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Church AV Guy said:
Of course that occurred to me, but the cybermen themselves did not appear to be so "limited" by the time that they were in. Just a comment, not really a criticism, or at least, not meant to be. Lucky they didn't end up in 250BC. What would the cyber king have been made of THEN?:D
Actually, they were... If you notice, there wasn't an army of newly built cybermen... rather, there were the cybermen that fell through time AND their obvious attempts to make cyber-apes or cyber-dogs or whatever those things were.

I didn't see any evidence of trying to make full-conversion humans...

Although, with that said... One would think they could more easily make other cybermen than a huge godzilla-like cyberking with the available old-school tech!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.