DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to download some past episodes of Californication from Showtime On Demand. Both SD and HD versions are available. It is taking about 30 minutes to download the SD version (30-minute program). Any guesses as to how long an HD download would take?

· RIP
6,203 Posts
ansky said:
I want to download some past episodes of Californication from Showtime On Demand. Both SD and HD versions are available. It is taking about 30 minutes to download the SD version (30-minute program). Any guesses as to how long an HD download would take?
Very hard to guess with just the information you're giving, but I'd take a rough guess at 90 - 120 minutes. But...even given all the information about your connection and speed any estimate is just a guess as we can't know what other traffic you have on your network, what the routing will be like, other network traffic on your ISP and any factors limiting the bandwidth DirecTV's host has available.

Why not try one and see? :)

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
I have basic DSL service @768K download and DOD is very slow for me, and it slows down the rest of the use also as would be expected. The few times that I have used it, I do it overnight.

· Icon
614 Posts
I have 12 mbps download. Speed tests show that I can get actual download speeds of 10mbps. The last thing I downloaded that I timed was a 5 minute Olympic event and it took about 12 minutes. When I upgraded from 7mbps service the downloads for DOD did not speed up. I think it is limited on D* side to about 4mbps.

· Icon
804 Posts
MountainMan10 said:
I have 12 mbps download. Speed tests show that I can get actual download speeds of 10mbps. The last thing I downloaded that I timed was a 5 minute Olympic event and it took about 12 minutes. When I upgraded from 7mbps service the downloads for DOD did not speed up. I think it is limited on D* side to about 4mbps.
The uploads do seem to be limited to about 4-5 Mbps from the DirecTV side. I see this with my cable connection and a 12 Mbps pipe. You can have FIOS and a 45 Mbps pipe, the best you are going to get is 4-5 Mbps. There was a thread about this somewhere in the DOD forum, which is really where this post should reside.

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
Wisegoat said:
The uploads do seem to be limited to about 4-5 Mbps from the DirecTV side. I see this with my cable connection and a 12 Mbps pipe. You can have FIOS and a 45 Mbps pipe, the best you are going to get is 4-5 Mbps. There was a thread about this somewhere in the DOD forum, which is really where this post should reside.
With the number of ISPs out there and the networks between endpoints, it would be hard to make that statement without definitive documentation from someone at DirecTV.

At this point, it is only reasonable to assume that someone with the same ISP in the same local area can expect to hit the same ceiling of throughput. You could easily have no throttling at the ISP level or from DirecTV and still have a network between them be a bottleneck. It could even be a bottleneck in the upstream connection sending response packets at the local network level. The number of variables adds up quickly.

I know I was able to download the Bucket List 1080p24 VOD in about 2.5-3 hours at 10Mbps.

· MRVing
3,781 Posts
I was able to download The Bucket List 1080p24 VOD in 2:20 at 12Mbps (advertised speed, sometimes you get more or less), but I'm sure speed was limited by the VOD server more than the internet connection.

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
dettxw said:
I was able to download The Bucket List 1080p24 VOD in 2:20 at 12Mbps (advertised speed, sometimes you get more or less), but I'm sure speed was limited by the VOD server more than the internet connection.
How are you sure? How are you sure there was no bottleneck between the server and you? Just because your ISP didn't throttle it, doesn't mean DirecTV did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.