DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I have both. Now, with the 501 search feature, the only advantage the Dishplayer has is being able to see the guide info without hitting an additional key.

My family also like the Dishplayer better then the 501 but it is only due to the nicer looking guide. (they dont have to do all the 32768 resets, I do)

I now wonder if Dish will offer an exchange of Dishplayers for 501's for the few people left that didn't jump to TIVO?

·
Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
I have both a 501 and a Dishplayer. Now that we have a search feature on the 501, the only thing I miss from the Dishplayer is being able to use a keyboard for entering text for the searches.

I got the 501 free through the Club Dish promotion last fall. When I received it, I gave my old 4700 to a friend and connected my standalone TiVo to the Dishplayer. Since I'm rarely recording anything on the Dishplayer, it's been pretty trouble-free. The only problem I've experienced is finding the Dishplayer in its screensaver mode from a corrupted download or from the TiVo trying to record a suggestion at 3:00 a.m. Yes, the Dishplayer is a pretty good PVR as long as you don't try to record with it.

·
AllStar
95 Posts
I had two dishplayers and one 501 but just recently sold the 2 dishplayers to buy another 501. With the addition of on screen Caller ID and the search feature I don't miss the dishplayer. One thing that people don't seem to know is that the dishplayer PTR functions didn't work on the CD channels where the 501 has the ability to record, pause & ect any of the CD music channels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.