1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you in the Detroit Market?

Do you care if we get OTA?

Why?

The only thing I can think of that might be nice is the secondary PBS channel. Other than that, Doesn't D* have it covered?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Are you in the Detroit Market?

Do you care if we get OTA?

Why?

The only thing I can think of that might be nice is the secondary PBS channel. Other than that, Doesn't D* have it covered?
Advantages of OTA-HD over your MPEG-4/HD-Locals:

1. PQ (Picture Quality). The Gold Standard of PQ is OTA-HD and is likely to remain so for quite some time. Your MPEG-4/HD-Locals from D* are transcoded from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4...there is loss. Available bandwidth on D* is limited, so all HD on the satellites is bit-starved (further degradation). HD as delivered via D* is at best HD-Lite compared to OTA-HD, in most cases.

2. Immunity from signal loss: OTA-HD (unless you are in a fringe area) is much less vulnerable to signal loss from precipitation.

3. Sub Channels and PBS (I don't think PBS-HD is carried yet by D*). There is wonderful programming on PBS, and the video quality is stunning.

The expense of adding OTA-HD to your current setup is minimal. A good antenna for local OTA-HD is the U-75 from Radio Shack. It is only about 25 bucks. It has a 40" long boom and a corner reflector, so it has a small footprint, but very good gain.

Go to antennaweb.org, plug in your zip code and see what kind of antenna and where it needs to be located in order to receive your locals via OTA-HD. You might find you don't need an outside antenna, or you might be able to put the U-75 in your attic. Some people do well (if within 15 to 20 miles of a good transmitting site), with nothing more than a Sliver Sensor (do a google for it), mounted a few feet from the TV itself.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
hasan said:
Advantages of OTA-HD over your MPEG-4/HD-Locals:

1. PQ (Picture Quality). The Gold Standard of PQ is OTA-HD and is likely to remain so for quite some time. Your MPEG-4/HD-Locals from D* are transcoded from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4...there is loss. Available bandwidth on D* is limited, so all HD on the satellites is bit-starved (further degradation). HD as delivered via D* is at best HD-Lite compared to OTA-HD, in most cases.

2. Immunity from signal loss: OTA-HD (unless you are in a fringe area) is much less vulnerable to signal loss from precipitation.

3. Sub Channels and PBS (I don't think PBS-HD is carried yet by D*). There is wonderful programming on PBS, and the video quality is stunning.

The expense of adding OTA-HD to your current setup is minimal. A good antenna for local OTA-HD is the U-75 from Radio Shack. It is only about 25 bucks. It has a 40" long boom and a corner reflector, so it has a small footprint, but very good gain.

Go to antennaweb.org, plug in your zip code and see what kind of antenna and where it needs to be located in order to receive your locals via OTA-HD. You might find you don't need an outside antenna, or you might be able to put the U-75 in your attic. Some people do well (if within 15 to 20 miles of a good transmitting site), with nothing more than a Sliver Sensor (do a google for it), mounted a few feet from the TV itself.
Nice re-use of a post! :D

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
I am in Detroit, and I don't care about OTA. The PQ on our MPEG4 locals is great, and you can fit a whole lot more MPEG4 on the DVR than OTA MPEG2. The only two channels DirecTV doesn't carry are 50 (CW, worthless) and 56 (PBS HD, don't care about it). If OTA never came, I wouldn't shed a tear.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeremy W said:
I am in Detroit, and I don't care about OTA. The PQ on our MPEG4 locals is great, and you can fit a whole lot more MPEG4 on the DVR than OTA MPEG2. The only two channels DirecTV doesn't carry are 50 (CW, worthless) and 56 (PBS HD, don't care about it). If OTA never came, I wouldn't shed a tear.
I think I am siding with you on this one. I think it would be nice to have PBS in HD, but you don't miss what you never had.

Before I had the HR20, I had OTA hooked up through a Radio Shack antenna that I just had sitting outside on the deck. I can't see much of a difference. Maybe a small difference, but not enough to notice without looking real close.

I have never and probably never will watch anything on CW either.

As far as weather - we've had alot of snow recently, and I haven't had so much as a drop out on any of my shows. I've had rain fade once since install in early October, and it was minimal.

I'm looking forward to other features on the coming updates. I can't wait until we can start bugging Earl about when we are getting Dual Live Buffers.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
I'm in the Dallas area and could care less about OTA, like you Detroiters. We just lack CW & PBS. The only CW show I watch is Everybody Hates Chris, and I can LMAO at 1 SD show.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.