DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of the contractors for DirectTV techs not knowing what they are doing. I woke up this morning and sure enough my signal is out again. I went on the roof to check the dish, and its loose, you can jiggle it and it moves in and out of the brick it’s mounted into. I have had 4 service calls in less then a month. One of the calls was because the dish pulled right out of the wall and was lying on the floor. The dish luckily fell onto the roof and not the other way and into the driveway where it could have killed someone.

How the f*ck can a company run a business like this? I called them yesterday and they said they only use one installer in NYC call Halstead Communications, who seems to have no idea how to mount the new KaKU. DirecTV said they have no one else they can send to do it. I’m at the point where I want to just call a professional installer who knows what they are doing and I'll try to get DirectTV to reimburse me for the install. Does anyone have any experience with a professional installer in NYC who has mounted the new KaKu dish ?

Thanks

·
Icon
968 Posts
a google search gave me a handful of results.... not sure how reputable they are. you could always call robert at Value Electronics and set something up. i hope i have a better experience with halsted... they are doing my install in a couple weeks.

·
Banned
614 Posts
byron said:
a google search gave me a handful of results.... not sure how reputable they are. you could always call robert at Value Electronics and set something up. i hope i have a better experience with halsted... they are doing my install in a couple weeks.
Halsted installed my AT-9, switch (Zinwell), three outlets. Installation went fine, the only complaint is the dish was not peaked. It took me three hours to peak the dish myself after the installer left. The batteries on his acutrac were not charged, so the installer used the receiver to peak it. DirecTV doesn't recommend peaking/aligning without a Ka type meter like the Birddog.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Halsted installed my AT-9, switch (Zinwell), three outlets. Installation went fine, the only complaint is the dish was not peaked. It took me three hours to peak the dish myself after the installer left. The batteries on his acutrac were not charged, so the installer used the receiver to peak it. DirecTV doesn't recommend peaking/aligning without a Ka type meter like the Birddog.
The instructions that came with my AT9 dish said - Aligning the dish using a receiver is not acceptable or something similar. It's pretty funny in the same instructions at each step it would say - Set the signal meter to blah, blah, blah or alternately use the receiver and set it to blah, blah, blah. I peaked mine using the receiver and everything has been fine since I did it a month ago. I'm getting high signal strength readings on everything.

How did you peak the dish ? Do you have a signal meter ? If you had a meter why did it take you 3 hours ?
I carefully went thru the instructions using a receiver and it only took me about an hour to peak it.

·
Banned
614 Posts
glennb said:
The instructions that came with my AT9 dish said - Aligning the dish using a receiver is not acceptable or something similar. It's pretty funny in the same instructions at each step it would say - Set the signal meter to blah, blah, blah or alternately use the receiver and set it to blah, blah, blah. I peaked mine using the receiver and everything has been fine since I did it a month ago. I'm getting high signal strength readings on everything.

How did you peak the dish ? Do you have a signal meter ? If you had a meter why did it take you 3 hours ?
I carefully went thru the instructions using a receiver and it only took me about an hour to peak it.
I have the original box and manual that came with the AT-9. My readings are excellent now. It takes some time to align/peak without a meter. I mentioned the Birddog because it can see the new Ka band. Some DIY enthusiasts might like to know what meter can get the latest, that's why I mentioned it. I took my time aligning it, and have high 90's on all 5 satellites.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.