DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to say it does on the DirecTV website but the auto-generated customer service email response they sent me says something like "you can access your call log history via the menu functions". I just wanted to confirm that you do actually see the call on the TV screen when the phone rings (the call log history access would be nice too).

Also, will caller ID show up on all their receivers or just the HD ones?

I am one hair's width away from switching from TWC so I'll be posting a lot of questions in the near future. If DirecTV doesn't have it, the caller ID function is one of the few good things about TWC I'd miss by switching. Thanks.

· AllStar
50 Posts
Yes it shows up on the screen, if you want it that way. It is not just the HD receivers. All the caller id capable receivers do this

· Godfather
434 Posts
I will show up on the tv screen. You have to have notification turned on in the menu. I know it works on the HR-20 and 21. I don't know what if any non-HD receivers the feature is built into.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Yes, you see the caller ID on the screen, for both SD and HD receivers.

· Godfather
286 Posts
I am sure you will hear it from others -- but yes, you can see Caller ID on your screen with the phone rings only if you have the phone line connected to the receiver and you have the option of Caller ID on your phone line. You can see who is calling on all TV sets as long as the associated receiver is connected to the phone line.

Added -- Is the Caller ID reliable? No! For some reason not every call appears on the screen. Does DirecTV have a caller history? Yes. However, I have not found out a way to delete the caller history, except call-by-call.

· Hall Of Fame
2,044 Posts
elbyj said:
I am sure you will hear it from others -- but yes, you can see Caller ID on your screen with the phone rings only if you have the phone line connected to the receiver and you have the option of Caller ID on your phone line. You can see who is calling on all TV sets as long as the associated receiver is connected to the phone line.

Added -- Is the Caller ID reliable? No! For some reason not every call appears on the screen. Does DirecTV have a caller history? Yes. However, I have not found out a way to delete the caller history, except call-by-call.
It always works for me...

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I'm sure that everyone's experience is different but provided that they are subscribed to Caller ID service and their wiring is fairly clean, most people will have few problems with Caller ID.

· Godfather
410 Posts
It works about a 1/3 of the time for me and I have checked and double-checked my wiring.

Caller-ID works fine on all of the phone attached to the same phone line. There is something about the HR-20 receivers that makes the caller-ID work only some of the time.

It seems since I added the Multi-switch things have gotten worse. Yes the dish is grounded properly through the multi-switch to the main fuse panel in the house.

· AllStar
89 Posts
I have found that sometimes the Caller ID has been mysteriously turned off. I am not sure if a power disruption and reboot sets it back to off in the menu or what. But the only times it has not shown for me is when it was turned off in the menu.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
I'm sure that everyone's experience is different but provided that they are subscribed to Caller ID service and their wiring is fairly clean, most people will have few problems with Caller ID.
I got CID turned on many months ago to test the firmware (local phone company is great about not charging me for it). In all this time, I've missed very few calls. If I were to guess, I think I've seen two calls that came in that did not trigger the HR20-700 to display on the screen (nor did they show up in the list). Both of these did show up on my CID phone. Considering however, that I have gotten hundreds and hundreds of phone calls during this same period and they did show up, I don't think there is anything wrong with CID on my HR20-700.

I have not done backwards testing (seeing if every call on the HR20-700 shows up on the phone with CID). I'm not that much into CID. Once the testing is done, I'm turning CID off...it's about as interesting as watching paint dry here.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Overall, mine works 75% of the time.

No, I'm not sure that it is not noise on the phone line, or some other anomaly, that is causing the problem. But at the same time, the phones get the number 99% of the time.

· Godfather
345 Posts
My caller id works fine. Never had any trouble. D* has had this feature for a long time. I had a D* RCA receiver back in the late 90s that had the caller id feature. I will say that I like how it was implemented on the old RCA better than on any receiver I've had since then. The RCA receiver allowed you to delete your entire caller id history at once instead of having to delete them one at a time.

· Banned
2,179 Posts
I have to tell this story on myself. I hadn't ever had Caller ID before. So I finally got around to getting it not knowing it would show up on the TV Screen. The phone rang and the Caller ID information popped up on the screen and I was so surprised I almost fell in the floor :lol: But seriously I think it is a great service once I got over my shock :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.