DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· AllStar
95 Posts
"ejhuzy" said:
Ve been with DTV SINCE 1997. I'm about to turn off my land line because the only calls I get on it are solicitors. But does DTV still require receivers be hooked to a land line?
I have never had a phone line or internet connected to my receivers and its fine. You just can order PPV through your remote.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Technically, your receivers need to be connected to a landline, however, DirecTV appears to be pretty lenient now about it. If your receivers are connected to the Internet, you shouldn't have an issue. The biggest thing is that DirecTV uses the phone line to make sure that all receivers on your account are located at the same residence. While not having a phone or the Internet connected does not seem to be an issue, without that connection DirecTV can technically charge you for the full programming package on each of your receivers.

- Merg

· 1*
9,917 Posts
"wahooq" said:
no phone/internet connection required.....you can NOT however order through your remote without one of those connections
You can, however, the receiver will not be able to "call" home until there is a connection. That's how some people end up paying for PPV movies years after they were ordered when they send back their receiver and access card.

- Merg

· Registered
3,752 Posts
The Merg said:
Technically, your receivers need to be connected to a landline, however, DirecTV appears to be pretty lenient now about it. If your receivers are connected to the Internet, you shouldn't have an issue. The biggest thing is that DirecTV uses the phone line to make sure that all receivers on your account are located at the same residence. While not having a phone or the Internet connected does not seem to be an issue, without that connection DirecTV can technically charge you for the full programming package on each of your receivers.

- Merg
Internet connection serves the same purpose doesn't it (With other obvious benefits)?

· Registered
930 Posts
You can, however, the receiver will not be able to "call" home until there is a connection. That's how some people end up paying for PPV movies years after they were ordered when they send back their receiver and access card.
true enouogh...the hd level rcvrs are also programme4d to tell when there is and isnt a connection now and give an error message

9 Posts
ejhuzy said:
Ok, so no phone required mostly. What about if I add equipment? Will that be a problem? Or what if I had a phone line with VoIP?
Adding equipment will not require you to have a phone line. Depending on your a equipment if you are considering VoIP you may just be better served by an straight up internet connection.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
ejhuzy said:
Ok, so no phone required mostly. What about if I add equipment? Will that be a problem? Or what if I had a phone line with VoIP?
We dropped our land line service and got an OOMA. That worked with the HRs quite well. Then we dropped the OOMA and just use cell phones. You don't need the land line.

Rich

· Legend
159 Posts
Another "no phone line" DirecTV customer for years now with multiple DVRs and no issues. The only thing you'll see related to an "error" for not having a phone line is when you run a System Test, you'll get a message about not finding a dial tone or phone line attached.

· Hall Of Fame
2,785 Posts
The Merg said:

- Merg
You don't even technically have to have a landline anymore. They dropped the requirement out of the terms and conditions (at least the last time I checked).

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
At one point didn't installers get less for installs if it wasn't plugged into a land line? If so, is this still the case? Obviously it's not really our concern as customers but I'm hoping the policy has changed, particularly when they are connected via Internet.

· Icon
1,567 Posts
I have had DirecTV since 1998, and have never had more than two receivers connected to a phone line. A few months ago, I disconnected all of the receivers from the phone line, because one of the receivers was causing interference with my DSL service. I do have two of my four receivers connected to the internet, but I only ever order PPV from one of those.

When I added an additional receiver and replaced an old receiver, I was asked if the receiver was connected to the phone line. When I replied "no", I was told that if I did not have a phone line connection, I could not get caller ID or order PPV from the remote. When I replied that the receivers were connected to the internet, I was told "ok, then you can order from the remote, but you still will not get caller ID on the TV". Does anyone really care about the caller ID feature? I do not need the TV to tell me who is calling every time the phone rings.

· AllStar
105 Posts
I've had DirecTV since 2001 and haven't had a phone line since 2000. Back then, I'd bring my reciever to a friends because it needed a phone line for setup, but it didn't need one after that. You get a message everyday saying you needed to connect to a phone line, but I just ignored it.

I don't think any of that is going on these days. When I got my current receiver, I had no phone line during setup. Also don't get the daily messages.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.