DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Nope, MLB games on the national feed of WGN are not blacked out on any service provider, Dish, DirecTV or cable, just like Braves games on TBS aren’t blacked out. Now, if I remember correctly, the national feed of WGN doesn't show as many games as the local WGN-TV 9.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,192 Posts
A few years ago, FSN Ohio decided to play hardball with Charlie over half the Cleveland Indians schedule. We all know what happens when a provider challenges el cheepo. That season - and that season alone - WGN was indeed blacked out for me whenever the Indians and SOX played.

·
Mentor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not talking about regional blackouts. I live in SC. Someone told me that E* blacks out the Cubs games on WGN so they can put them in the MLBEI package. When I had D* I was able to watch the games on WGN. I didn't have MLBEI.

·
Godfather
292 Posts
You will not see any blackouts of games shown on WGN, TBS, WPIX or any other "superstation". This is even if they are showing a game involving your "home team". Superstations are not subject to the regular baseball blackout rules. Those antiqated rules are suppossedly going to be revised this offseason to bring them into the 21st century. It's about time, if you ask me.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
bruin95 said:
You will not see any blackouts of games shown on WGN, TBS, WPIX or any other "superstation". This is even if they are showing a game involving your "home team". Superstations are not subject to the regular baseball blackout rules. Those antiqated rules are suppossedly going to be revised this offseason to bring them into the 21st century. It's about time, if you ask me.
I am in the NY dma, TBS games are blacked out when they play Phillies and both NY teams. I have never seen any Cubs/White Sox games blacked out here.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,356 Posts
well, considering Cubs and Sox games aren't around until April and neither one of them was good enough to get to the Playoffs, you won't have to worry about it for a few months, but to answer you question, though this year, no, Cubs games nor Sox games were blacked out but a lot fewer were shown than in previous years

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Superstations are subject to blackouts. The Red Sox on WSBK, recent events, were blacked out outside the Boston Market in theory because "NESN owned the national rights".

TBS is not a Superstation and the Braves on TBS are blacked out here when they are playing the Phillies.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
JohnH said:
The Red Sox on WSBK, recent events, were blacked out outside the Boston Market in theory because "NESN owned the national rights".
I didn't want to bring it up because it's moot and muddies the explanation. A few years ago, when the Red Sox returned to WSBK for once a week, NESN worked out an unusual deal. For those games, in the Boston market only, WSBK would broadcast the game and NESN would run alternate programming. But for the rest of its New England coverage area, NESN would continue to show all of the games, and if WSBK were available, it would be blacked out.

We Superstation viewers were understandably lumped in with not-in-Boston group, and we were blacked out of Red Sox games.

But as I said, it's all moot. WSBK didn't broadcast any Red Sox games to anyone this season, and for any future deals, yaneverknow. So it's accurate to say that Superstation games don't get blacked out except when they're playing someone from your neighborhood.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Speaking of sports - anyword on HD regional sports channels?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
FTA Michael, it is not a moot point as all of the areas blacked out were Superstation areas and the rules have not changed.

It is important to note the blackouts are not automatic. They must be requested by someone who owns territorial rights for the particular area to be blacked out.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
John - are you confident that they will be added though?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Dish Cubfan said:
John - are you confident that they will be added though?
Yes, in some form. There are serious problems with providing NHL Center Ice HD and NBA League Pass HD from these as the channels are separated on 2 different satellites, neither of which can be received nationwide.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,057 Posts
Should be noted that TBS is going to be losing a lot of national Braves games starting next year (or the year after, cant remember off hand). This is not for those who get WTBS which will continue to show games regionally. This is due the fact that TBS wants the ability to show some playoff games and the agreement which they have came to means less National games and the addition of playoffs...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,057 Posts
Here, found the information It is a Wiki article so take it for whats its worth, but I pretty much believe it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBS_(TV_network)#Baseball

Baseball
Coverage of the formerly-Ted Turner-owned Atlanta Braves Major League Baseball team is perhaps TBS's signature program. Turner once famously tried to get Andy Messersmith to use his jersey, which was #17, to promote TBS in its early years. The back of the jeresy read, "CHANNEL 17." Major League Baseball immediately stopped it because team jerseys are not supposed to have ads other than that of the jersey manufacturer.

At the 2006 MLB All-Star Game, it was announced that TBS will begin carrying a package that includes all major league teams. It will premiere in two phases, as follows:

Starting in 2007, TBS will carry all Division Series games and one of the two League Championship Series, taking them from Fox and ESPN. In addition, TBS will carry the announcements of the All-Star teams and any possible games to determine division winners and wild card teams. Those have also been carried on ESPN.
The following year (2008), TBS will begin airing games every Sunday of the regular season for 26 weeks in all. No team may appear on the telecasts more than 13 times.
During the 2007 transitional year, TBS will air 70 regular-season Braves games. In 2008 and thereafter, only 45 games will be shown, and none of them will air outside of the Braves' six-state market area (Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee). Games will still be available in the Atlanta market on the separate WTBS channel, which will presumably also carry the games in Canada.[2]

There has been a petition created to keep the games available nationwide on TBS, presumably by an out-of-market fan who will not be able to see the games when the TBS contract takes effect.[3]

·
Godfather
292 Posts
I have no idea why all you guys are/were getting blacked out of games on TBS, WGN, etc. I have NEVER seen a blackout in my area on those channels, whether games involved teams from my home market (5 of them in total) or not. This whole thing is rather confusing.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Same here. Five teams also claim my area, Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays, Pirates and Indians. I never recall having WGN or TBS getting blacked out when the Braves or one of the Chicago teams played any of my 'home' teams when I had satellite. My area of the cable franchise doesn't get WGN but I noticed no blackouts on Braves games.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,057 Posts
One more Wiki article on this matter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB#MLB_blackout_policy

MLB blackout policy
Major League Baseball has several blackout rules. Games are blacked out based on two criteria:

A local broadcaster has priority to televise games from the team in their market over national broadcasters. For example, TBS shows many Atlanta Braves games nationally and internationally in Canada. Fox Sports Net (FSN) also shows many games in other areas. If the Braves play a team that FSN or another local broadcaster shows, the local station has the rights for their own local market, TBS will be blacked out for the duration of the game for everyone in the zip code of the market of the team playing against the Braves. A market that has a local team playing in a weekday ESPN or ESPN2 game and is shown on a local station will see ESPNEWS, another game scheduled on ESPN or ESPN2 at the same time (if ESPN or ESPN2 operates a regional coverage broadcasting and operates a game choice), or will be subject to an alternative programming feed.
FOX has certain rights for afternoon MLB games on Saturdays, and ESPN has the same rights for night games on Sundays. Broadcasters cannot show games of in-market teams regardless of if the game is home or away if the game of the local team has a certain start time (usually there are no other games scheduled at these times). This is to make people watch the out of market game on ESPN or FOX. The reasoning is that since people will not be able to watch their favorite team, they may be willing to settle for some baseball, even if it involves teams they are not as excited about. This results in higher ratings for the national broadcaster by pulling baseball fans away from watching their own team.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.