DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just bought a Sammy HL-S6187 HDTV....I called DTV to upgrade me to the HD Package. This Sammy supports HDMI input and I know the H20 has HDMI output. Before the tech comes over and switches out my satellite and receiver...I'd like to know whether I'll be supplied with an HDMI cable or not so that in the case of it not coming supplied already with the install....I run out and get one off ebay or something for a low price, having it ready for when the tech is here next Saturday (12/9).

Does it?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
The tech is supposedly required to use HDMI if your TV supports it, though there will not be an HDMI cable in the box. This requirement is routinely ignored or denied by techs, who honestly may not know about it. The only reason many of us here know it is because the D* installation videos you can sometimes record state that they are to do it.

Be that as it may, my HL-S5688 looks fantastic on component and HDMI connections have been known to be the cause of some folks' problems with the HR20.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LameLefty said:
The tech is supposedly required to use HDMI if your TV supports it, though there will not be an HDMI cable in the box. This requirement is routinely ignored or denied by techs, who honestly may not know about it. The only reason many of us here know it is because the D* installation videos you can sometimes record state that they are to do it.

Be that as it may, my HL-S5688 looks fantastic on component and HDMI connections have been known to be the cause of some folks' problems with the HR20.
I came to ask here and confirm after having spoke to a DTV rep on whether it did or not. She said that after having talked to some specialized people, assured me that an HDMI does come with it. She made me aware of the problem regarding HDMI recently and that it could have issues until they're resolved via software updates.

The resason I come here was well....because it was a she and quite frankly....I've had MANY upon MANY cases where the ladies act like they know...but they don't. I'm not trying to be sexist or anything. It's just that I'd hate to be mis-informed and figured you tech gurus would give me a better answer.

I know the box in which the H20 comes in doesn't come with an HDMI cable, but does DTV furnish it? You did answer saying they are supposed to. But...I need a definitive answer, one you may not have since you're not the one installing my set. :D I realize that.

Man...I'm going to get with them and have that tech make sure to bring that HDMI with him.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I just bought an H20 at Circuit City last weekend. There was no HDMI cable.

Two months ago, when I had my HR20 installed, I had to supply my own HDMI cable. Most installers are independent contractors with D* and their policies vary.

Having said that, I don"t think I could tell the difference between HDMI and component, after switching from one to the other when moving the TV to the bedroom. Maybe in a direct A/B comparison.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay....I just got with the local installers, D* themselves and had them confirm that in fact the HDMI cable is included in the installation. They went ahead and made a note for the installer to bring one and furnish it with my setting.

Good stuff.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JasonVW said:
Get an HDMI cable from www.newegg.com

I have 2 of thier $8 cables and they work GREAT

No reason to spend more money than that!
If I need one in the future...I'll be sure to go there. Amazing what Monster charges for theirs. :nono:

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ask them guys (D*) what H20 receiver I'm getting....and they say it's just an H20. Not H20-100, or H20-200-600, nothing. Just an H20. What gives? Is that correct?:confused:

·
Cool Member
44 Posts
My H20 did not come with an HDMI in the box, but the installer supplied one.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lenjack said:
My H20 did not come with an HDMI in the box, but the installer supplied one.
D* told me that the HDMI cable didn't come with the H20. They told me however that they'd supply one and even put it on the installers work order to supply it and didn't. :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.