DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Right now, there is no functionality with the connection outside the home network.

It does do a "ping" of sorts to see if it can see the Internet, but that is it.
It is not listening for any calls, and it is not pushing anything out to the Internet.

· Icon
2,326 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Right now, there is no functionality with the connection outside the home network.

It does do a "ping" of sorts to see if it can see the Internet, but that is it.
It is not listening for any calls, and it is not pushing anything out to the Internet.
That's where I have my "issue" when trying to set that up, I get an IP on my router, and it sees my network, but it errors on the internet connection. My machine is NOT Viiv compatable, and using a USRobotics wireless router.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Steveknj said:
That's where I have my "issue" when trying to set that up, I get an IP on my router, and it sees my network, but it errors on the internet connection. My machine is NOT Viiv compatable, and using a USRobotics wireless router.
I wouldn't worry about it for now... unless it is stopping you from using the home networking.

It is possible you have a firewall in your NAT-Router that isn't allowing the "ping" to go out.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
slaz55 said:
???? What does that have to do with the HR20 and how it talks to the Internet

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
slaz55 said:
Just a company that does things right! Not like D*
Ahh... And we will leave it at that...

· Legend
126 Posts
With all do respect Earl the question was about conductivity with the Internet. The HR20 is miles away from that right now and there are other ways to connect wirelessly. I own a Mac and feel shut out with any networking features or functionality and please don't tell me that I'm only 2% of the users. It should be functional for all or don't add the feature. AppleTv in fact will connect to the internet and your computer already which the HR20 claims will happen. Sorry if it offended anyone.

· Icon
2,326 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I wouldn't worry about it for now... unless it is stopping you from using the home networking.

It is possible you have a firewall in your NAT-Router that isn't allowing the "ping" to go out.
Well the errors are not allowing me to enable the network connectivity, at least that is what it looks like. I'll check my router to see if the ping is enabled.

· Godfather
371 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

My problem is that I do not have an internet connection. So the process errors when
tries to look (ping) for the internet. (I use EVDO for my internet).
DTV needs to address this. Not everyone has a internet connection.

I refuse pay pay Com**st a dime for their products.
And there is no DSL in my area.

:confused: :mad: :(

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
BobV said:
My problem is that I do not have an internet connection. So the process errors when
tries to look (ping) for the internet. (I use EVDO for my internet).
DTV needs to address this. Not everyone has a internet connection.

I refuse pay pay Com**st a dime for their products.
And there is no DSL in my area.

:confused: :mad: :(
How are they supposed to address it?
To adopt EVDO into the system?

Unless EVDO "technology" comes out with some sort of router based solution, to allow standard RJ-45 connections......

Don't count on it changing... anytime soon... if ever.
It would be a very small nitch market, with so many variables.

For now, there are no indications they are going to support USB based Wireless Nics, so I can't remotely dream they are going to have a native EVDO support.

I can't think of any devices, other then a few laptop's and the Cell Phones themselves, that support EVDO native.

Your're right... not everyone has Internet connections... but a lot of their future features, are going to rely on that Internet connection.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Slaz... Let me say that I don't like the ViiV thing either, and there are 2 reasons I could think of that they did it (either or both).

#1 DirecTV and Intel have some money changing hands for this ability
#2 DirecTV isn't under the gun to have to make some sort of home grown software that they will now have to support.

Now I WILL tell you that the being a MAC user you MUST understand that you only do represent 2%. You can't expect a company like DTV to make something work for the 2%. I am sorry if you don't like it, but that is BUSINESS.

I am not the biggest DTV fan based on some of their choices, however this isn't about DTV per say as much as it is just about business in general.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Just to give you an example about business that I am talking about.:

The original Apple iPods had only a Firewire connection which was predominately used by Apple. What was the iPod market share back then?

Apple saw this and added the USB compatibility. NOW what is their market share?

This is all about smart business.

-----

Edit:

My brother has read this thread and doesn't feel that my analogy is 100% correct, so I will post another example just in case you feel the same way.

Apple currently has iTunes software for Windows and Apple, however they have NO iTunes for Linux.

WHY NOT??? In your words:

It should be functional for all or don't add the feature

Linux makes up a small population that use their product, and it would cost more to make it work for Linux then they stand to make.

· Legend
126 Posts
Milkman it's not about being only 2% it about functionality, my money is as green as yours. I think there is a poll here about mac users and HR20's and there was a pretty healthy amount of Mac users. I've been a D* subcriber for 7 years and love the features the HR20 brings with it but at this moment it's just not a great product. Also this is D* cornerstone multimedia product and it should be ready for prime time it should support most systems if it's going to claim to be a multimedia device. I'm not complaining about the HD.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
slaz55 said:
Milkman it's not about being only 2% it about functionality, my money is as green as yours. I think there is a poll here about mac users and HR20's and there was a pretty healthy amount of Mac users. I've been a D* subcriber for 7 years and love the features the HR20 brings with it but at this moment it's just not a great product. Also this is D* cornerstone multimedia product and it should be ready for prime time it should support most systems if it's going to claim to be a multimedia device. I'm not complaining about the HD.
Ok Slaz - lets be realistic.

The Poll is HERE, on a FORUM. Forums (especially forums like this) have participation by a VERY small population of GENERAL computer users. GENERAL computer users use Windows. It is that simple.

Again, this isn't about your money. This is about ALL MAC users money. DTV has probably come to the conclusion (rightfully so IMO) that it will cost more money to make this work with MAC then we will get for selling this device / subscriptions.

I DO agree that the unit isn't the best it could be. It has potential, but right now I am not overly happy with it either.

· Icon
777 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Unless EVDO "technology" comes out with some sort of router based solution, to allow standard RJ-45 connections......
There is an EVDO-based router. We have sites using it as a MPLS backup, and a couple of sites use it as their primary connection until copper/fiber is brought to the area.

· Godfather
371 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
How are they supposed to address it?
To adopt EVDO into the system?

Don't count on it changing... anytime soon... if ever.
It would be a very small nitch market, with so many variables.

For now, there are no indications they are going to support USB based Wireless Nics, so I can't remotely dream they are going to have a native EVDO support.

I can't think of any devices, other then a few laptop's and the Cell Phones themselves, that support EVDO native.

Your're right... not everyone has Internet connections... but a lot of their future features, are going to rely on that Internet connection.
I just want to network my HR20 without the internet.:confused:

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
BobV said:
I just want to network my HR20 without the internet.:confused:
You should be able to.
The internet connection doesn't have anything to do with the home networking piece.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.