DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hughes DVR from a few years back that I use, that connects via S-Video.

Will Standard Definition programming look better on an HR20 as opposed to my Hughes DVR? I realize it's Component or HDMI input, but I wasn't sure if it actually will make a difference in satellite programming.. I tried searching this guys, but no luck, please forgive my "noobness".

and if it does look better, how much better are we talking? as I realize most channels are still in SD for now..

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
mewario said:
Will Standard Definition programming look better on an HR20 as opposed to my Hughes DVR?
SD will likely appear worse if you're using a full-fledged High Definition display.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
I think so. I used to have a Hughes HDVR2 SD Tivo, and the HR20 definately looks crisper than the Hughes did.

I also had my DVR hooked up with S-Video, and my HR20 is hooked up via component.

·
Icon
714 Posts
Jomanscool2 said:
I think so. I used to have a Hughes HDVR2 SD Tivo, and the HR20 definately looks crisper than the Hughes did.

I also had my DVR hooked up with S-Video, and my HR20 is hooked up via component.
I agree. I used to have the same SD Tivo through S video. I switched to HR10 through component video. I am using HR20 with the same component video. The HR20 produces slightly better SD quality than HR10. Both HR10 and HR20 have better SD quality than my Hughes branded SD Tivo.

In my opinion, the difference is not much. I doubt it is worth the effort. I suspect you will find other advantages from HR20 more interesting than the SD quality improvement.

I have a separate set up involving a newer Samsung DLP 720p. This TV has an image enhancing function that some HD enthusiastics don't like. This function, however, works great for enhancing SD pictures. I use this set up for SD programs as much as possibe.

The bottom line is, I doubt the SD quality improvement will justify such move. I think you get better results from other means.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Really all depends on your setup. My HR20 SD quality is indeed better (slightly but better) then either of my DirecTivo's on the same HDTV. It was reported widely when the HR20 came out that many saw a PQ improvement on the SD channels.

But YMMV as every tv set is different so you never know until you try it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I would also agree that the SD is better on the HR20.

When I first watched the Stargates this year, I was wondering if SCI-FI had drastically upgraded their PQ...

·
Godfather
554 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I would also agree that the SD is better on the HR20.

When I first watched the Stargates this year, I was wondering if SCI-FI had drastically upgraded their PQ...
STARGATE ROCKS O'NEILL COME BACK

·
Godfather
554 Posts
mewario said:
I have a Hughes DVR from a few years back that I use, that connects via S-Video.

Will Standard Definition programming look better on an HR20 as opposed to my Hughes DVR? I realize it's Component or HDMI input, but I wasn't sure if it actually will make a difference in satellite programming.. I tried searching this guys, but no luck, please forgive my "noobness".

and if it does look better, how much better are we talking? as I realize most channels are still in SD for now..
SD on HR20 component,native off ,stretch,1080i looks great

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
mridan said:
SD on HR20 component,native off ,stretch,1080i looks great
Comparing it to my Dish Network DVR, SD picture quality looks pretty darn good. Have no prior DTV equipment to compare to. :)

·
Godfather
267 Posts
The HR20 blows away our old HR10 when it comes to picture quality. The overall bugginess of the unit goes without saying though.... ;)

·
Mentor
46 Posts
mewario said:

It will be better mainly because with the HR20 you will be viewing through the component or DVI and that is much better than the S-Video. A friend of mine had the R15 hooked to his NEW plasma thru S-Video (backorder on the HR20) and I took my extra H20 over there to see the Greenbay/Seattle game Monday night... and even the menu screens were clearer...

·
AllStar
75 Posts
"SoundTeck" said:
It will be better mainly because with the HR20 you will be viewing through the component or DVI and that is much better than the S-Video. A friend of mine had the R15 hooked to his NEW plasma thru S-Video (backorder on the HR20) and I took my extra H20 over there to see the Greenbay/Seattle game Monday night... and even the menu screens were clearer...
I went from component cables on the HR10 to component cables on the HR20 and the difference is definitely noticeable. It's actually the best SD picture I've ever gotten on my TV, blows away my old cable signal.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
My SD looks noticeably better on the HR20, but as others have said I believe that has just as much or more to do with the fact that I'm using component cables instead of S-Video now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.