DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just got DirecTV w/free installation for 4 receivers. One of the four was a dual tuner DVR. The installer only ran a single cable to each receiver including the DVR. He installed a 3x4 multiswitch. Wouldn't standard installation for this settup included two cables to the DVR and a multiswitch large enough for the 5 tuners? The installer told him that he would only get one tunner and wanted to charge extra for getting the second dvr tuner working. I would of expected that they would get all four receivers fully working including the two tuners in the dvr.

· Legend
162 Posts
They should have put in a 4x8 multiswitch atleast. As far as the 2nd line for the DVR, I tell them it's free to run it through an outside wall, or $60 for an inside wall fish. Or if it's not possible or feasible for the 2nd line, they can just use the 1 line.
But the tech and customer need to discuss this beforehand.

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
But know that whent the recorders came out no one said here is more money for the extra cable and time. Even though the phone connection is listed a plug into an an existing outlet installers are expected to run new interior phone lines. The Ka/Ku dish requires a $500.00 meter and is larger than previous eq but is installed for the same rate.

So sure......have a free line. The way it is often done is for the first guy to "not have a recorder on the truck" . Then a second "upgrade" can be issued to get a second guy to run the second line and switch the boxes for thirty bucks........sometimes while also installing the Ka/Ku dish.

None of this is the customer's fault but is how it works.

Joe

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
joe diamond said:
But know that whent the recorders came out no one said here is more money for the extra cable and time.

Joe
I hear you. But it takes me just as much time to run a single wire as to run a dual wire. And the box of wire is the same too. :confused:

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
Mertzen said:
I hear you. But it takes me just as much time to run a single wire as to run a dual wire. And the box of wire is the same too. :confused:
I agree,

It isn't always an issue. There are occasional "out of the box" installations where all cable and ODUs are already in place. I just find it doesn't balance out, especially in the high end installs.

The net result is what is called a contract under duress. One party says take it or leave it. While the oppressed party (the tech) eventually leaves it, there is that pissed off period where the customer suffers. The tech knows he is not making enough to continue.

Things like skipping the second line are just a symptom of the passive resistance this specification creep produces. Unions call it working to rule.
Less sophisticated techs just screw up until they are fired, quit or get back charged into poverty.

Joe

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like they should of used a larger multiswitch and ran the 2nd cable. In this installation, all cables run under the house in the crawl space (in at a screened crawspace vent near the dish) and then straight up through the floor where each receiver is. He was already under there running the other cables. It would of been easy to run a second cable. Actually, to the DVR, he used the existing rg59 that ran down through the floor into the craw space and down there tied into a new run of rg6. I know your not supposed to use rg59 but for a short distance is it ok? He said it only mattered for HD!

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
JeffL said:
I know your not supposed to use rg59 but for a short distance is it ok? He said it only mattered for HD!
RG59 might work for days or years even for SD. If you do get someone out there they should get you RG6 for all runs.

· Legend
109 Posts
There are too many questions unanswered to simply say, "yes, he should have ran the second line". Honestly, we are contractors, and has Joe said, it *should* be at a contractors digression. If he is paying for his own drop/cable, then I personally believe he should have a right to collect a little from you. Otherwise, he was being lazy.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
thespaceghost said:
There are too many questions unanswered to simply say, "yes, he should have ran the second line". Honestly, we are contractors, and has Joe said, it *should* be at a contractors digression. If he is paying for his own drop/cable, then I personally believe he should have a right to collect a little from you. Otherwise, he was being lazy.
Unfortunately you are wrong. Dual lines to DVR IRDs is part of a standard installation and hence you have to do it. Free of charge. :nono2:

· Legend
162 Posts
I recall someone on here saying RG59 will work for HD too, it's just not approved by DirecTV and therefore will fail a QC.
As for the DVR 2nd line, it's always an issue and never seems to have an answer.
Also, sometimes the workorder has a line item for the 2nd line and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's there but it gets deleted. Regardless, the customer could care less about that and why should they.
My understanding is if it's possible to run the 2nd line (sometimes it's just not), running it around the house and into the room is free. If they want a wall fish, you can charge for it.
But if they complain you probably have to do it for free either way.
I've also been told that the first wall fish is free, and you can charge for additional ones.
So the bottom line is the information is confusing for the tech and the customer, and it depends on whether the tech is paying for his wire or not.
To make things worse, the customer usually never knows that he needs a 2nd line, and when they were called by a D* sales person with an upgrade offer, why would they want to pay extra for it.
AND if they have DISH Network DVR's with just 1 line forget it.
I think Im rambling off subject now..

· Legend
109 Posts
Running a second line is part of the standard installation, but there are issues where the second line goes beyond that standard installation. For example, wall fishes or if a customer is exceeding the 125' of cable run. As a sub, I must pay for all my materials. If I was inhouse and/or had my drop provided, I'd run dual lines to every room ... doesn't make a difference to me.

There is no free wall fish from me. I am liable if I damage your wall. People who want wall fishes are usually the ones who want their house looking nice. I can't blame them...and If i damage their wall because i missed a hole or whatever reason, they will want it fixed.

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
thespaceghost said:
Running a second line is part of the standard installation, but there are issues where the second line goes beyond that standard installation. For example, wall fishes or if a customer is exceeding the 125' of cable run. As a sub, I must pay for all my materials. If I was inhouse and/or had my drop provided, I'd run dual lines to every room ... doesn't make a difference to me.

There is no free wall fish from me. I am liable if I damage your wall. People who want wall fishes are usually the ones who want their house looking nice. I can't blame them...and If i damage their wall because i missed a hole or whatever reason, they will want it fixed.
See?

That is what I mean.........I have found an F fitting that costs $.09 and work great with an internal O ring and silicone. While the DTV spec says compression fitting........if I am to produce a result the fitting I choose is going to be it unless there is a failure. AND none of the fulfillment or HSP subs will produce a contract with a specification to "bid" the work.
When the recorders came out I got screwed on a few installs because they (DTV ) would not activate recorders (Tivo) without a phone line. Now the HSPs want to back charge tech for failure to connect to non existent land line phones.

The list goes on...........I fix HSP jobs for $60.00 per hour & do phone work for the same rate. The phone rings enough.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.