DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having so many problems since my install in October (and even before then), I was finally satisfied that D* told me I would be getting several credits to my account. They said I would get a credit for the full amount of the receivers I paid for (R15 and HR20), a credit for the install ($250, altho I don't know if it would be the full amount), a credit for the HD package for 12 months, and a credit for SuperFan. After not seeing these appear in my account activity online, I called and spoke to someone, who proceeded to tell me the only credits they could see were 2 $100 credits for "hardware" (assuming they mean the receivers, altho this is definitely not the "full amount" I was told). After insisting this was not what was represented to me, they said there was nothing more they could do beyond a $5/mo credit for 6 months. $30?! WTF!

Anyways, after getting nowhere, I said I would call back this week after my replacement HR20 arrived, so I knew everything was working before I explored my options any further. In the meantime, the HR20 I already had started working spontaneously a couple days later, before the new one arrived. So I just kept this one and sent back the replacement I was shipped.

Now what I'm wondering, is how can I go about getting these service credits which I was already promised, and I think I deserve after the ridiculous hassle these last 2 months have been? Can I talk to Retention even if I am a new customer? Isn't there some kind of 30 day window that I have to tell them to screw off and I am going back to Comcast? Is that the way to go?

If anyone has any suggestions as far as what I actually need to say, please lay it on me. I don't really have any experience in the complaint department, as I've always had hassle free service from Comcast (unfortunately their service was subpar, even tho there were no problems, thats why I switched).

Anyways, highly frustrated, any info is helpful, thanks.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
aphoward said:
After having so many problems since my install in October (and even before then), I was finally satisfied that D* told me I would be getting several credits to my account. They said I would get a credit for the full amount of the receivers I paid for (R15 and HR20), a credit for the install ($250, altho I don't know if it would be the full amount), a credit for the HD package for 12 months, and a credit for SuperFan. After not seeing these appear in my account activity online, I called and spoke to someone, who proceeded to tell me the only credits they could see were 2 $100 credits for "hardware" (assuming they mean the receivers, altho this is definitely not the "full amount" I was told). After insisting this was not what was represented to me, they said there was nothing more they could do beyond a $5/mo credit for 6 months. $30?! WTF!

Anyways, after getting nowhere, I said I would call back this week after my replacement HR20 arrived, so I knew everything was working before I explored my options any further. In the meantime, the HR20 I already had started working spontaneously a couple days later, before the new one arrived. So I just kept this one and sent back the replacement I was shipped.

Now what I'm wondering, is how can I go about getting these service credits which I was already promised, and I think I deserve after the ridiculous hassle these last 2 months have been? Can I talk to Retention even if I am a new customer? Isn't there some kind of 30 day window that I have to tell them to screw off and I am going back to Comcast? Is that the way to go?

If anyone has any suggestions as far as what I actually need to say, please lay it on me. I don't really have any experience in the complaint department, as I've always had hassle free service from Comcast (unfortunately their service was subpar, even tho there were no problems, thats why I switched).

Anyways, highly frustrated, any info is helpful, thanks.
Used to be a simple call to retention, and you could probably work it out (if you spoke nicely and got a good CSR). Now, it seems D* has turned off that easy, quick access (there is a thread on here about having to have a pin number or something to that effect). I had the same deal as yours, for the most part (no R15), and there is still a 6-month $20 a month credit due me starting in Feb. I was going to make sure it "stuck," but right now, I am not sure how to access retention. Someone here will supply an answer.

· Icon
770 Posts
When I talked to CR and hammered out my HR20 deal, I was told I would get a $200 credit in addition to monthly credits once the HR20 was activated. The CR rep said that she was making a note in my record and she read it back to me. She also gave me her name and her CSR ID number. Since the installer did the activation call, I never spoke to anyone when it was activated. A month later, I got the bill and there was no credits. I then remembered that I been told to call and speak to CR and after activation and tell them the HR20 was activated and ask that my credits be applied, so I called. The rep that I spoke to read the notes in my account and immediately applied the credits.

Bottom line: make sure that the CSR puts a note in your record and have them read it back to you. Ask for the CSR's name and ID number and write it down to refer to later if you're not getting what you were promised.

· Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I just call and ask to speak to Retention, is that good enough? I've talked to close to 20 different people since this whole fiasco with install happened, and it is growing irritating. Is it even an option for me to threaten to leave? Don't they have that 30 day policy? I don't want to leave, but I figure the threat might be good enough....

So frustrating, I guess not getting someone's name was a huge mistake. I might just try and email them to see if I can get someone a bit more helpful.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
I would try calling the regular number and ask to speak to Retention - haven't been through the whole voice activated crapola yet, so I don't know if that will work. If it doesn't, just tell whichever CSR you are connected to that you want to speak to someone in Retention. Be polite through the whole process. If they ask why, briefly explain the credits you were promised and that you did not get them.

If whoever made you those credit promises did not put any of that in writing in your account, it may be a tough sell to actually get them. Your best bet, though, is with the Retention people as they are probably the only ones that could do something for you to that extent. The fact that you are a new subscriber should not mean that you can't talk to Retention.

As for the 30 day policy, I think there was a promo that included that, but I don't know that it was ever part of D*s policy. I don't know enough about it to speak to that issue with any certainty.

Good luck!

· Banned
614 Posts
aphoward said:
If I just call and ask to speak to Retention, is that good enough? I've talked to close to 20 different people since this whole fiasco with install happened, and it is growing irritating. Is it even an option for me to threaten to leave? Don't they have that 30 day policy? I don't want to leave, but I figure the threat might be good enough....

So frustrating, I guess not getting someone's name was a huge mistake. I might just try and email them to see if I can get someone a bit more helpful.
You can cancel if you wish still, without penalty. Comcast is Okay. Right now most markets with Comcast have about 19 HD channels. Comcast also has HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz in HD. Also you get about 100 free indemand movies per month with Comcast. That's why they charge a little more for services versus satellite. The cost for DVR per month is the same, and you don't have to buy equipment. Make sure the cable running from the telephone pole to your home is RG6 and not RG59. Most older houses have the older RG59. You can request the cable company to update the cable and it will provide more bandwidth. Signal quality is stronger with RG6 as opposed to RG59. I have Comcast for phone and internet (bundle $69) and they updated my cable to my house at no charge from RG59 to RG6. Usually you can tell if the cable has two wires from the pole to your house. If it does then it's likely RG59. Trust me the signal will be much better.

Good luck.

· Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cybrsurfer said:
You can cancel if you wish still, without penalty. Comcast is Okay. Right now most markets with Comcast have about 19 HD channels. Comcast also has HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz in HD. Also you get about 100 free indemand movies per month with Comcast. That's why they charge a little more for services versus satellite. The cost for DVR per month is the same, and you don't have to buy equipment. Make sure the cable running from the telephone pole to your home is RG6 and not RG59. Most older houses have the older RG59. You can request the cable company to update the cable and it will provide more bandwidth. Signal quality is stronger with RG6 as opposed to RG59. I have Comcast for phone and internet (bundle $69) and they updated my cable to my house at no charge from RG59 to RG6. Usually you can tell if the cable has two wires from the pole to your house. If it does then it's likely RG59. Trust me the signal will be much better.

Good luck.
I've had Comcast previously at my apartment I moved out of and at my parent's house (in Chicagoland we have changed cable providers like 8 times in the 17 years we have lived here), so I am quite familiar with them. We are living in a brand new condo/townhouse, so the cable is def RG6, checked that already. Comcast already provides our internet, because there is no high-speed choice even close in this area. But if I had a choice, I would be done with them for good. Their service is highly unreliable, picture quality is mediocre at best, and their DVR hardware is absolutely horrible. Plus the price is high, lol.

All in all, you would never get me to switch back to Comcast, but I just want these issues with D* taken care of....

· Banned
614 Posts
aphoward said:
I've had Comcast previously at my apartment I moved out of and at my parent's house (in Chicagoland we have changed cable providers like 8 times in the 17 years we have lived here), so I am quite familiar with them. We are living in a brand new condo/townhouse, so the cable is def RG6, checked that already. Comcast already provides our internet, because there is no high-speed choice even close in this area. But if I had a choice, I would be done with them for good. Their service is highly unreliable, picture quality is mediocre at best, and their DVR hardware is absolutely horrible. Plus the price is high, lol.

All in all, you would never get me to switch back to Comcast, but I just want these issues with D* taken care of....
Do you have Verizon in Chicago? Maybe you could get Fiber Optic TV which cost less then Satellite and Cable. Get your TV, Internet & phone in a bundle. No equipment to buy. Movie channels for 4 majors are only $11.95 per month! This is not an introductory cost, it's the regular cost!

· Banned
614 Posts
YES... DirecTV Retention will give deals to new customers.

· Banned
90 Posts
The number was changed, but contrary to what is being posted by the employee shills, there is a new 800 number for retention, I *****ed and insisted I would not settle for a "PIN" and they gave it too me and I tested it and it works but I don't want to contribute to it being changed again as I have too many problems, so I won;t give it out, if you're an A list customer, call and get it, that should not be too hard.

1 Posts
I have gone through 4 calls to retention (going through the verbal routine of Tier 1, then Tier 2, finally retention each time). My installation of the HR-20 was not pretty, and each call got me promises which were not delivered, followed by apologies and more promises that were not delivered, etcetera.

My point is that somewhere down the line, the subscriber must decide if the PQ and package you subscribe to is satisfactory enough to warrant NOT having to spend the hours on the phone trying to make the deal perfect. This is certainly not just the case with D*. Any service you order these days requires follow up by you, the consumer to actually get what you pay for. Tragic, yes?

I love my HR-20, glitches and all. This forum has provided me with a wealth of information regarding its use, and Mr. E.B. is to be commended for his continued appraisal of the technology. Now, if someone can point me to a cross reference of I.R. codes that will make my Akai LCD work with the H20 remote in the other room, I'll be OHC.

· Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI, I sent a HUGE email complaint to D*, and received a reply in like 2 hours that said they would have a Retention rep contact ME via phone within 2 business days. It's about time I don't have to sit on the hold system waiting for someone. Now we shall see if they can follow through with what I was promised.

· Banned
614 Posts
800-695-9251
800-600-8977

:sure:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.