DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a D customer, have been for several years. Originally mine was a simple self-install but since then for upgrades, relocations, etc. I have been present when the Ironwood guys came and I observed how they worked. This week, I am in another part of the country visiting my son and today was his scheduled D installation. The installer came (not Ironwood), first commented that he forgot his compass, never took out any signal meter, ladder, etc. and essentially said the only possible dish location was on the lower front corner roof of the garage end of the house, which was not an asthetically suitable location. Maybe the guy was good enough to "eyeball" it but I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to have a site survey or get another installer to check it. My son is currently receiving XM radio thru even heavier foilage.

This particular installer did not seem very interested in doing the install and that resulted in a very disappointed would-be D customer and I would assume D would not be pleased either. Does this sound right?

Thanks for any responses!

· Registered
8,671 Posts
andy2356 said:
I am a D customer, have been for several years. Originally mine was a simple self-install but since then for upgrades, relocations, etc. I have been present when the Ironwood guys came and I observed how they worked. This week, I am in another part of the country visiting my son and today was his scheduled D installation. The installer came (not Ironwood), first commented that he forgot his compass, never took out any signal meter, ladder, etc. and essentially said the only possible dish location was on the lower front corner roof of the garage end of the house, which was not an asthetically suitable location. Maybe the guy was good enough to "eyeball" it but I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to have a site survey or get another installer to check it. My son is currently receiving XM radio thru even heavier foilage.

This particular installer did not seem very interested in doing the install and that resulted in a very disappointed would-be D customer and I would assume D would not be pleased either. Does this sound right?

Thanks for any responses!
XM will go thru quite a lot.. Directv isn't very tolerent of trees..

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
houskamp said:
XM will go thru quite a lot.. Directv isn't very tolerent of trees..
My question was really regarding whether or not to accept as gospel an "eyeball" opinion versus testing or site survey to determine dish location. If www.dishpointer.com is accurate at all, it appears to us that he should be able to receive the D satellites.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
You need to be checking DishPointer from 99 degrees through to 119 degrees (and, actually, add at least 2 degress on each side). If anything along that 24 degree slice of the sky is blocked, the dish can't go there. You can use the elevation settings that DP gives you to get an idea if the signal will shoot over the trees or not. Use the lowest elevation setting (i.e., whichever sat has the lowest elevation from your area) for your survey.

There can be NO branches, leaves, or anything like that in the LOS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.