DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Icon/Supporter
592 Posts
I'm not sure whether I got the same thing.
It was a gift from my dear wife.

It helps to minimize the problem with melting snow,
since the snow can't stick to the dish, and tends to
melt and slide off the cover more quickly.

It protects your LNBFs from the weather, which can
be a good thing.

I don't think it does much of anything in terms of
signal strength during rainy conditions, except that
a wet cover might absorb more of the signal.

So my take is, use it for snow, use it for looks, but
if rain fade is your biggest problem, this isn't likely
to be your solution.

Get a bigger dish, make sure the pointing is "perfect",
weatherproof your components, use RG11, then maybe
consider a cover.

What I think would be better than a fabric cover
would be a watertight "shed" made of plexiglas,
with a steep snow roof on top. I'll make one of
those for our dish, just as soon as I find some
time and money, after my retirement someday.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
The best thing that it works for is to make money for those selling it. It will have no effect at all on rainfade, unless of course you get the super duper model that reaches all the way above the clouds. :D When you consider that the clouds could be 40,000+ feet high, the approx 2' of protection provided by this thing won't help at all. I am also unconvinced about snow protection also unless you have a very high look angle and the snow catches in the dish. I never used one in Minnesnowta and had minimal problems. For some reason I have never had snow problems since I moved to Florida either. :lol:

·
Icon/Supporter
873 Posts
I have one of those!

It's not meant to reduce rain fade, it's supposed to prevent snow and ice from accumulating on the dish. It works because I've never experienced snow fade or had to go on the roof to remove snow or ice from it.

Mine was given to me free by the dealer when we got Dish Network installed, so I don't know what the price ranges are.

·
DishRetailer.com Administrator/Supporter
107 Posts
Nothing you put on the dish can ever reduce a blackout condition. You can put something near the dish to reflect the snow, but unless you have something to cover the 25,000 mile long path from the dish to the satellite, this is the only thing you can do. Just have your dish signal peaked as much as possible is the biggest thing you can do to help it not happen as quick. Also, the bigger the dish, the more stamina it will have in the storms. I personally have a Starband dish and using it for my Dish Net signals only. Because it is bigger, and has more of a reflectivity space, blackout or rain fade does not happen near as quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.