DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Godfather
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the middle of some work yesterday, and I get a call from Directv. Nice lady says she has a very special offer for me, because I have been such a good customer for so long, yada,yada.

She proceeds to tell me I can get all four premium movie services and all their channels for $11/mth for as long as I keep them. Now in all fairness, my attention was elsewhere and she may have said the four Showtime channels, but I don't think so. However, I know for a fact I then said "Are you telling me I can get HBO, Cinemax, and all the other premium movie channels for $11/mth?", and she most definitely said "Yes", and it is on tape somewhere.

Still being pretty skeptical, I probably asked her what the catch was at three more times. :lol: Finally, I figured WTH it is only $11 to see if they are really that generous.

Forgot all about it last night, and when I just checked......you guessed it, it was only the Showtime package. I was going to call and give them hell for deceiving me, and tell them to refund the $11. However, I just decided to let the $11 be my penance for being stupid enough to even begin to think there was any chance that offer was true. :lol: I'll just kill it in 30 days.

One other thing that I thought of was how special this offer was. I have the Sport's Pack, so this second premium would have only cost about $11 if I had just ordered it myself.:lol:

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
mom always said "if it is too good to be true, is because most likely is not true"

·
Hall Of Fame
2,763 Posts
Probably some 3rd part sales outfit that gets a commission from Directv for selling you packages. I've been with Directv almost since their beginning and have never received a sales call from them.

·
Cool Member
30 Posts
A few years ago one of their reps called and said that since I had so many movie channels, if I just went ahead and got them all in whatever package it would actually save me $3/month. I said yes.

What they failed to tell me was that my free HD DVR service, part of an older package offered a few years ago, wouldn't be part of their new package. So while technically correct, the package was $3 cheaper, my overall bill went up by $7 or more per month since I would now have to pay for the previously free HD DVR service. I called back later and they said there was nothing they could do because the older package was no longer offered.

I am convinced they were deliberately doing these cold calls in an attempt to push people off the old plans.

I found the whole thing extremely deceptive. I've never forgotten about it. I'm still with them because it suits me for now, but I have absolutely no loyalty to their brand....

·
Icon
1,660 Posts
joed32 said:
Probably some 3rd part sales outfit that gets a commission from Directv for selling you packages. I've been with Directv almost since their beginning and have never received a sales call from them.
I may be wrong but I am pretty certain that once a customer DirecTV does not allow "3rd party sales outfit's" to call their customers to present upgrade offers or new packages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.