DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum area.

I have a DirecTv HR20 DVR, Samsung HLS5687 HDTV, Sony DG800 receiver

I'm confused about the Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound.

While watching HD broadcasts such as NFL football on DirecTv Sunday Ticket. My surround sound receiver reads "Dolby Digital 3/2.1"

Is 3/2.1 the same as 5.1 Dolby Surround?

Thanks in advance for your response!

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Tiger Tony said:

While watching HD broadcasts such as NFL football on DirecTv Sunday Ticket. My surround sound receiver reads "Dolby Digital 3/2.1"

Your in business You have Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
3/2.1 is just another way of saying 5.1. Meaning 3 channels in the front, 2 in the rear and the subwoofer. My Philips receiver displays 5.1 audio the same way as well.

How do you like the DG800? I ordered a one from a guy I know at a nice discount last week, it arrived at the shop yesterday, I'm planning on picking it up sometime this week.

·
Godfather
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve Mehs said:
3/2.1 is just another way of saying 5.1. Meaning 3 channels in the front, 2 in the rear and the subwoofer. My Philips receiver displays 5.1 audio the same way as well.

How do you like the DG800? I ordered a one from a guy I know at a nice discount last week, it arrived at the shop yesterday, I'm planning on picking it up sometime this week.
Thanks for the explanation. The Sony DG800 is working great for me, it's filling all my needs. Sounds great with my Boston Accustic speakers. The menu was hard to figure out, but now that I'm used to it it's not that bad. The auto-calibration was simple. I don't have a lot of experience with auto equipment, but I think I made a good choice.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Tiger Tony said:

I have the HR-20 DVR and in order to get Dobly 5.1 you have to use the "Digital Audio Out" and connect that to the "Digital Audio In" on your receiver. I have a Sony STR-DE995 AMP. My owners manual says "Connect the digital output jacks of your DVD player and satellite tuner (etc) to the receiver's digitital input jacks to bring the multi channel sourround sound of a movie theather into your home. To fully enjoy multi channel sourround sound (5.1 channel), five speakers. When channel is sending 5.1 the amp indicates there is 5.1 sound by a big bright blue light on the front.

Suggest you check out your owners mannual again. See if your amp has any "Digital Audio" connections. This is actually a fiber optic connection. You can get it at Radio Shack. A lot cheaper than Best Buy or Circuit City.

Check your HR-20 Users Guide page 71.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Suggest you check out your owners mannual again. See if your amp has any "Digital Audio" connections. This is actually a fiber optic connection.
Digital audio doesn't have to be optical (toslink), it can be coax of HDMI and yes the DG800 can do Dolby Digital (a $400 HTR should). The 800 has 3 Toslink inputs, 2 digital coax inputs and 2 HDMI inputs. Again 3/2.1 is Dolby Digital 5.1, there is nothing to check. You can have a quarter or two dimes and a nickel, and you still have 25 cents.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Doesn't even have to be digital to be 5.1 either!

My DVD player (in addition to digital optical and digital coax) has 5.1 channel analog output as well... so I could connect to my stereo receiver that way and have 5.1 from my DVD player.

I am not aware of any Dish, DirecTV, or cable receivers that have/support 5.1 analog output though.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Analog 5.1 is supposed to be one of the best sounding formats around, if the media you are playing is formatted for that. Pure untouched 5.1 sound, not processed digital.

My current Philips home theater receiver and the Sony both support 5.1 analog, my old Philips DVD Player did, but my new Sony HD Upconvert does not. I now have an SACD changer, but have not purchased an SACD to try it out. I've browsed through the hi rez audio sections at stores, pretty much the Footloose soundtrack is the only thing that I would ever consider buying since it has that one Melloncamp song.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Steve Mehs said:
Digital audio doesn't have to be optical (toslink), it can be coax of HDMI and yes the DG800 can do Dolby Digital (a $400 HTR should). The 800 has 3 Toslink inputs, 2 digital coax inputs and 2 HDMI inputs. Again 3/2.1 is Dolby Digital 5.1, there is nothing to check. You can have a quarter or two dimes and a nickel, and you still have 25 cents.
Check out the "Tips and Tricks" on this website. Even says you have to turn on 5.1 on the HR-20 and use the optic output for 5.1. Also in the owers manual. 3/2.1 is not true 5.1 You want digital 5.1 not analog. When DirecTV is broadcasting 5.1 it is digital not analog. I disagree with what you are saying. Visit www.dolby.com for a breakdown.

Dolby Digital is an audio format that delivers 5.1 channels of sound. In the home, the 5.1 channels are played back through a home theater system, with six speakers placed around the room to envelop listeners in sound and draw them into the center of the action. Dolby Digital provides listeners with better definition, improved atmospherics, and deep, resonating bass frequencies from all kinds of films, TV shows, live music, and sporting events.

Dolby Digital (AC-3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dolby Digital is a 5.1-channel surround sound format, and is the standard for DVD-Video. Dolby Digital features up to five discrete (independent) channels (front center, front left, front right, surround left, surround right; giving it the "5" designation) of full frequency sound (with respect to the range of human hearing, which ideally ranges from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz), plus a sixth channel for low frequency effects (LFE). The LFE signal is usually reserved for the subwoofer speaker(s), or those speakers capable of reproducing low frequency ranges. The low frequency effects channel gives Dolby Digital the ".1" designation. The ".1" signifies that the sixth channel is not full frequency, as it contains only deep bass frequencies (3 Hz to 120 Hz).

Dolby Digital is a lossy audio encoding scheme that supports up to 5.1 channels of discrete audio. In actuality, a Dolby Digital soundtrack may be composed of less than 5.1 channels. For example, Dolby Digital 1.0 is mono audio (single track of audio information), while Dolby Digital 2.0 is stereo (in which Dolby Surround or Dolby Surround Pro-Logic can be encoded). Dolby Digital 4.0 have discrete audio signals for the center, left, and right channels, plus a mono audio signal that is common for the surround channels. Dolby Digital 5.0 is like Dolby Digital 5.1, but lacks a discrete audio signal for the low frequency effects channel. Dolby Digital encodes these multi-channel soundtracks at either the 448 kbit/sec or 384 kbit/sec data rates.

Keep in mind that "Dolby Digital" does not necessarily equate to "Dolby Digital 5.1". "Dolby Digital" generically refers to the encoding scheme as discussed in the paragraph above. Only when it says "Dolby Digital 5.1" explicitly can you be sure that the soundtrack consists of 5.1 discrete channels.

To take advantage of Dolby Digital surround sound, you must have either:
(1) Dolby Digital decoder in the DVD player and a "Dolby Digital ready" receiver or pre-amplifier, or
(2) Dolby Digital receiver or pre-amplifier and use the DVD player's digital audio output.
(This option is generally better since it allows the DVD player to pass the raw digital audio signal to the receiver or
pre-amplifier, which theoretically is less subject to interference and degradation.)

DTS Digital Surround is a competing format that also supports up to "5.1" discrete channels.

Also see: Surround Sound Formats page for a full explanation, THX Surround EX, DTS Digital Surround
Additional Information and References: Dolby Digital home page

·
Banned
11,498 Posts

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Thanks I should be getting it this week sometime, finally. I work with his wife and his wife just had their second baby on Tuesday so between that and Christmas he hasn't been to the shop in a few days. You know how long I've wanted this thing :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.