DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
btmoore said:
The HR20, sometimes moves the rear channels to the front and drops the front, I have seen this on 2 different Dolby Digital decoder systems vendors (Sony and Philips) and I have seen it only happen on MPEG4 Streams from my local NBC and CBS feeds. I use component video and toslink/spdif for audio.

I have experienced this a few times and until last night I thought it might be a local encoding problem or a D* reencoding problem.

Last night I decided to watch my thrus night recording of ER and it started off playing the rear audio out the front channels and the front channels were missing, e.g. no voices just the background soundtrack that normally would come out the rear channels are now coming from the front channels.

We are lying in bed just bummed that it looks like we are going to miss this episode because the audio was messed up. Just to see if the non Dolby track was there I went into the setup menu and turned off Dolby Digital, and the audio track started playing normally. Ok well it isn't DD but, we can at least watch the show now. Then I said to myself, this POS has been a buggy nightmare let me turn the DD back on and see if the problem is still there with the DD sound track. I turned it back on and the audio was fine in full DD, I rewound it to the beginning of ER and the original DD soundtrack was fine, fronts in the front and rears in the rear.

The problem was not a local NBC encoding problem it was how the HR20 was miss handling the DD stream. I know other have experienced DD problems, try turning it of and on in your settings menu to see if it fixes your problem.

DirecTV, please fix your code.
It could just as well be the ENCODE side of the MPEG-4 from your HD Locals. I wouldn't be so quick to put it on the HR20. Local MPEG-4 providers are having a real tough time in a lot of markets getting things straight.

I've seen the same thing in local HD OTA for over a year ...they really don't have their act straight yet. I'm betting this has nothing to do with the HR20 at all.

(There's plenty to blame it for, this just may not be one of 'dem things)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.