DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the hr20-700 and have hdmi going to my sony kds55a2000 for video and am using fiber optic output to my Denon avr 3802 for audio. When I change channels between the HD channels (ESPN is the worst) I get a loud buzzing noise while the hr20 attempts to bring up the picture which takes 3-5 seconds. When I talked to advanced tech support at directv, he thought the hdmi output might be creating backfeed on audio and suggested I swap to component for video. When I changed to component for video, the audio problem stayed the same and the video scrambled between channels instead of staying black like it does with hdmi. I am on my third hr20-700 and all have had the same problem with audio. I have reset the receiver and the problem persists. Does anyone have this problem or know a fix. When I turn DD off I do not get the buzzing noise but I would like to use my DD receiver.

· Registered
5,451 Posts
kpage said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the hr20-700 and have hdmi going to my sony kds55a2000 for video and am using fiber optic output to my Denon avr 3802 for audio. When I change channels between the HD channels (ESPN is the worst) I get a loud buzzing noise while the hr20 attempts to bring up the picture which takes 3-5 seconds. When I talked to advanced tech support at directv, he thought the hdmi output might be creating backfeed on audio and suggested I swap to component for video. When I changed to component for video, the audio problem stayed the same and the video scrambled between channels instead of staying black like it does with hdmi. I am on my third hr20-700 and all have had the same problem with audio. I have reset the receiver and the problem persists. Does anyone have this problem or know a fix. When I turn DD off I do not get the buzzing noise but I would like to use my DD receiver.
I have heard of others getting pops and other noise when using the DD. The resolution was for the user to set the DD settings on the audio equipment. I do not recall some of the selections that were suggested, but I do recall it needed to be set on the audio equipment. Maybe DD=auto or something like that. Play around with it and try different settings.

Edit
Wow, I didn't even see how old this was...

6 Posts
I am having this exact same problem too. I'm currently running component video and optical coax. I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi as my receiver. I'm pretty sure I have the settings on the receiver correct, as I've never had an issue like this with a number of other components.

Any more ideas on how to resolve this or other places I could look for more information?

3 Posts
I just got an HR20-100 installed, and I also have a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi receiver, and I am having the exact same problems with buzzing and screeching when I switch to a DD channel. Like Paul, I never had this problem with any previous Directv/Tivo receiver. Any updates?

· Registered
5,530 Posts
eric84blair said:
I just got an HR20-100 installed, and I also have a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi receiver, and I am having the exact same problems with buzzing and screeching when I switch to a DD channel. Like Paul, I never had this problem with any previous Directv/Tivo receiver. Any updates?
There have been many reports of problems with this receiver and DD 5.1, including problems connecting to the HR10-250 and with some Time Warner cable boxes.
Some people report the noise that you are hearing, others can't get the receiver to "sync" on DD 5.1 at all. Speculation is that the receiver does not like to start receiving a DD 5.1 signal in the middle of the "frame", many receivers mute for a fraction of a second until they sync on the next audio frame but the Pioneer seems not to do that. You may hear the same sort of sound when a station goes from DD 5.1 to PCM stereo (for local commercials) also. Many of the local stations have started to use DD 2.0 for stereo and this eliminates the transition.
I remember seeing a couple of posts talking about getting rid of the problem by changing the audio setting on the Pioneer input, but I'm not sure what options you have available.

9 Posts
I think it is the HR20. I am on my second HR20-700 with the 'digital audio stream' pop/crackle. The refurbished unit is doing better than the original. Note my Onkyo TX-SR600 A/V receiver filters the snap/crackle. My Sony TV speakers get massacred by the snaps and pops and so I have to listen through the Onkyo if I want to listen to any digital audio stream from OTA or MPEG2 72 through 79 HD channels. MPEG-4 locals do not have the problem with the refurb receiver; the original had a problem on everything except DTV SD broadcasts.

I was told by tech that came out that DTV support told him that they are trying to fix it by firmware/software, but they are not publicly acknowledging the problem. They will keep swapping HR-20's until the problem goes away.

Good luck

--Chuck

· Godfather
317 Posts
kpage said:

My Denon AVR has an input called "Auto" that automatically selects DD when needed. For clarity, I have to leave the audio input set to "auto" as opposed to selecting DD, DTS, ProLogic, etc. Hope this helps.

· AllStar
116 Posts
Paul Arnette said:
I am having this exact same problem too. I'm currently running component video and optical coax. I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi as my receiver. I'm pretty sure I have the settings on the receiver correct, as I've never had an issue like this with a number of other components.

Any more ideas on how to resolve this or other places I could look for more information?
optical coax? I thought the digital audio options were digital coax (looks like standard coax with RCA ends) or optical through toslink (fiber optic cable).

· Legend
245 Posts
chksmithcis said:
I think it is the HR20. I am on my second HR20-700 with the 'digital audio stream' pop/crackle. The refurbished unit is doing better than the original. Note my Onkyo TX-SR600 A/V receiver filters the snap/crackle. My Sony TV speakers get massacred by the snaps and pops and so I have to listen through the Onkyo if I want to listen to any digital audio stream from OTA or MPEG2 72 through 79 HD channels. MPEG-4 locals do not have the problem with the refurb receiver; the original had a problem on everything except DTV SD broadcasts.

I was told by tech that came out that DTV support told him that they are trying to fix it by firmware/software, but they are not publicly acknowledging the problem. They will keep swapping HR-20's until the problem goes away.

Good luck

--Chuck
Does anybody know whether or not this got fixed?

jdg

· Registered
24,401 Posts
This is the thread that won't die, eh? Yeah, I have gotten that before, and I think I heard it once last week, but I rarely hear it anymore. I can't recall any time other than the once last week for the last couple months at least... (I too have a denon receiver)

· Legend
245 Posts
inkahauts said:
This is the thread that won't die, eh? Yeah, I have gotten that before, and I think I heard it once last week, but I rarely hear it anymore. I can't recall any time other than the once last week for the last couple months at least... (I too have a denon receiver)
Thanks for the feedback. Let me clarify:

On the HR10, the problem resulted in a LOUD POP that gives concern about damage to speakers. Is the HR20 DD buzz issue on the same level? Or is it just an annoyance, with no worries about equipment damage?

jdg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.