DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Legend
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok which is it: On or Off? I've read posts saying you have to turn it off (on the HR20) for it to work and others say it has to be on. I've have mine turned on and my Denon receiver displays "Dolby Digital" when watching something that is supposed to be in DD (like HD) and reverts back to "Dolby Prologic II" when it's not (like SD). Does this mean my HR20 works correctly? :confused:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
YankeeFan said:
Ok which is it: On or Off? I've read posts saying you have to turn it off (on the HR20) for it to work and others say it has to be on. I've have mine turned on and my Denon receiver displays "Dolby Digital" when watching something that is supposed to be in DD (like HD) and reverts back to "Dolby Prologic II" when it's not (like SD). Does this mean my HR20 works correctly? :confused:
Yes it sounds like your HR20 is working correctly. Others (like myself) need to turn it off to have DD on, go figure. Trust what your decoder is telling you. Keep an eye on it, if for some reason you don't see DD on something that is suppose to be DD you may have to turn it off on your HR20.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
btmoore said:
Yes it sounds like your HR20 is working correctly. Others (like myself) need to turn it off to have DD on, go figure. Trust what your decoder is telling you. Keep an eye on it, if for some reason you don't see DD on something that is suppose to be DD you may have to turn it off on your HR20.
btmoore is correct. For some users, myself included, it needs to be turned "off" in order for DD to be activated. It seems that something in the last update triggered the bug, but no one seems to have an answer. I've just gotten use to it, even though that's not the way it is designed to work.

·
Icon
730 Posts
And don't worry about your Denon saying prologic IIx on SD programs, as they generally do not transmit a DD signal. Keep an eye on your guide data, it will tell you when a program is broadcasting DD.

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Trust the Denon to correctly display what it is receiving.
When I am watching football on CBS I can always tell when CBS is going to go to "Jim Brown in the Studio" for a highlight from another game, because 2-5 seconds before the announcer says that, the audio changes from DD to non DD. I Just think it is strange that CBS does that. Also after the highlight is shown it takes 2-5 seconds to switch back to DD.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Here is what I had to do. I have the Denon AVR-3806.

I set the the DD to on and the Reciever was saying Stereo, so what I did was turn the DD off and reset the HR20 and then turned it on and nothing. So what I did was set the DD on and reset the HR20 and bam Dolby Digital.

Try that. Let me know.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
With my system, Dolby Digital needs to be off on the HR20 to receive true 5.1 surround. What is even more irritating is that some of the hi-def channels like Universal HD can't figure how to broadcast their surround sound. The other day I watched Dantes Peak and it was in 2 channel stereo. Then I watched Dragonheart and it was in full 5.1 surround. Really weird.

·
8 Posts
I have the hr20-700 and have hdmi going to my sony kds55a2000 for video and am using fiber optic output to my Denon avr 3802 for audio. When I change channels between the HD channels (ESPN is the worst) I get a loud buzzing noise while the hr20 attempts to bring up the picture which takes 3-5 seconds. When I talked to advanced tech support at directv, he thought the hdmi output might be creating backfeed on audio and suggested I swap to component for video. When I changed to component for video, the audio problem stayed the same and the video scrambled between channels instead of staying black like it does with hdmi. I am on my third hr20-700 and all have had the same problem with audio. I have reset the receiver and the problem persists. Does anyone have this problem or know a fix. When I turn DD off I do not get the buzzing noise but I would like to use my DD receiver.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Sounds like a problem with your Denon and how it handles a break in the DD stream. I don't have any audio problems with my Yamaha receiver, also connected via optical. Switching to and between 5.1, 2.0 and PCM sources is seamless.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Got the new update 0xEB last night, still have the Dolby Digital reversed. Had to switch back and forth a few times to get my Yamaha receiver to Auto Detect the Dolby signal again. Set to Off now and working. Minor issue for me, but something to deal with on every reset..

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Just an update, with the new software, Dolby Digital had to be turned on to get Dolby Digital. We will see if it stays this way, but for now it is correct, at least on this HR20.

·
12,182 Posts
btmoore said:
Just an update, with the new software, Dolby Digital had to be turned on to get Dolby Digital. We will see if it stays this way, but for now it is correct, at least on this HR20.
I think the sound architecture of the HR20 is a toggle between available modes (e.g., PCM or DD) rather than discrete states. The reason I think that is because for the first couple weeks my DD was set to "On" in the HR20 and that's what I was getting through my receiver. I recorded some HD episodes of The X-Files off TNT HD (I think) and one of them had terrible audio dropouts so I started messing around with the audio settings of the HR20 to try to get sound back. By the time I realized it was the recording itself not the HR20 (the dropouts started at the same times and ended at the same times when I'd FF or RW through parts of the show), I'd managed to get the settings reversed. I had DD set to On but was only receiving PCM audio. Setting it back to "Off" brought back DD, without resetting the HR20.

I think the error occurs at times when there is NO audio stream and you tell it to change modes - it loses the state value of what it SHOULD be versus what it's actually outputting. That's not to say it's the only time the bug shows up, but that's how it showed up for me. I imagine I'll turn DD to "Off" tonight before going to bed, in anticipation of an update and reboot overnight. Should be a simple matter of turning it back "On" tomorrow afternoon to get the HR20 back in synch with what it thinks it's outputting versus what it actually is outputting.

Simple bug, but annoying nonetheless. Too bad it apparently wasn't quashed in the new 0xEB software.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
LameLefty said:
I think the sound architecture of the HR20 is a toggle between available modes (e.g., PCM or DD) rather than discrete states.

Simple bug, but annoying nonetheless. Too bad it apparently wasn't quashed in the new 0xEB software.
I agree, for the life of me, why someone would design software this way is beyond me. It is like exception handling and data validation is a foreign idea or an afterthought. You would think, gui the would call the appropriate function to turn things on or off and check the return condition to see if it is successful. It is like they decided to create a function to turn a coin with the assumption that they have a known starting state vs calling a function get heads or get tails. If some how that coin gets flipped with out you knowing about it your function is now reversed, that is some crazy ass software design.

·
12,182 Posts
It is like they decided to create a function to turn a coin with the assumption that they have a known starting state vs calling a function get heads or get tails.
That's exactly right. The GUI apparently just says "Change state" when you click from one to the other instead of telling the decoder WHICH way to decode the audio between the available choices.

If some how that coin gets flipped with out you knowing about it your function is now reversed, that is some crazy ass software design.
And I think that's EXACTLY what happened while I was watching the X-Files. I was busy fiddling back and forth between PCM and DD trying to get audio out of a data stream (MPEG2, by the way) that apparently didn't contain any, and while I messed around with the GUI, there was no behind-the-scenes checking going on to ensure that the decoder and output routines were, in fact, doing what they were being told to do. I guess in the absence of ANY audio data, whatever return-function routine there is doesn't seem to know what to report back to the GUI so it just lets you merrily click away without actually doing anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.