DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On some channels when I try to play audio through my Onkyo Dolby Digital receiver, I hear subtle distortion (like a chirping noise) in the left and right channels. Bravo and Nickelodeon are 2 channels I have noticed this on.

Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone have an explanation or resolution?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had this problem too. I have a Pioneer VSX-D508. I know the problem lies in the 501. I turned it on the other day and it was really bad. a loud squeeling chirping sound. I turned off the 501 and then back on again and it was fine.

also I had recorded Da Terminator. When I was listening to the movie it was crackling. Too bad I really like that movie and was set to record on my vhs but not with that crackling. I wonder if anybody else has had this problem.:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't noticed chirping... I have a Sony reciever, and the only issue I have noticed is a faint static on ATL NBC commercials from the rear... sounds like prologic doesn't quite know what to do with some of the audio... but this only happens on commercials.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you using the optical cable or analog? I have an optical cable ordered and I'm wondering if perhaps it helps this situation or makes any difference?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thing you said that. I have optical hookup, and you say you are getting distortion with analog. I guess it's a signal problem from the sat. I won't worry about it then. It should clear up. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed my optical cable today but there is still distortion on some channels. I hear them when I put my ear up very close to my tweeters on some channels. Nick, TBS are 2 of them. SOME channels are clear so I assume it is some kind of anamoly associated with the way those channel's signals are processed through the DISH system. I WOULD feel reassured however, if others could verify they hear it. I first noticed it on a friend's system so I know it is not my digital Onkyo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should clarify that this distortion is on some channels only when listening in Pro Logic 2 mode. It is NOT present in simple stereo mode.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just found this information on the dish web site which may explain some of what I'm experiencing:

"Verify you are on a Dolby Digital channel. The channels that are being offered in the Dolby Digital format are 300, 303, 318, 319, 350, 351, 9428, 9430, 9440 and the PPV channels noted with a "DD" next to its title."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know what your hearing. The processor in the HT receiver cut's down the sound from the midrange and sends it to the center channel causing a distortion when listening up close. This is normal. I think some receivers process it better than others. What I was talking about was I had some crackling going on during recording. Which is not normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.