DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the hr20-700 and have hdmi going to my sony kds55a2000 for video and am using fiber optic output to my Denon avr 3802 for audio. When I change channels between the HD channels (ESPN is the worst) I get a loud buzzing noise while the hr20 attempts to bring up the picture which takes 3-5 seconds. When I talked to advanced tech support at directv, he thought the hdmi output might be creating backfeed on audio and suggested I swap to component for video. When I changed to component for video, the audio problem stayed the same and the video scrambled between channels instead of staying black like it does with hdmi. I am on my third hr20-700 and all have had the same problem with audio. I have reset the receiver and the problem persists. Does anyone have this problem or know a fix. When I turn DD off I do not get the buzzing noise but I would like to use my DD receiver.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
kpage said:
I have the hr20-700 and have hdmi going to my sony kds55a2000 for video and am using fiber optic output to my Denon avr 3802 for audio. When I change channels between the HD channels (ESPN is the worst) I get a loud buzzing noise while the hr20 attempts to bring up the picture which takes 3-5 seconds. When I talked to advanced tech support at directv, he thought the hdmi output might be creating backfeed on audio and suggested I swap to component for video. When I changed to component for video, the audio problem stayed the same and the video scrambled between channels instead of staying black like it does with hdmi. I am on my third hr20-700 and all have had the same problem with audio. I have reset the receiver and the problem persists. Does anyone have this problem or know a fix. When I turn DD off I do not get the buzzing noise but I would like to use my DD receiver.
If you have Native ON in the HR20, turn it off and see if the problem goes away.

Menu > Help & Settings > Setup > Display ...then set Native to OFF.

·
Legend
192 Posts
What resolutions do you have the HR20 set to output at and are you using Native mode set to on? I recommend trying to hard-code to 1080i or 720p (depending on the native resolution of your screen) and turn off Native Mode and see if that helps. In HDMI, the audio clock is synced off of the video bit rate, so when changing from one resolution to another, it's possible your receiver is taking some time to sync to the new clock and is interpreting what is coming down the wire as garbage.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried it with native on and off. I set the the resolution to 1080i with native off and the channel changes faster but still have the buzzing sound when switching between HD channels. The worst one is ESPN HD, but have experienced it on local 2 HD, ESPN2 HD, and Discovery HD.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
I have a Question about DD. I am connected to my Sony surround reciever by optical cable. If I turn DD OFF and have my receiver in Auto Detect mode then the light indicating 5.1 sound will come on. With DD ON this doesn't happen. Does this mean that when DD is ON that the HR20 is doing the decoding and I am still getting 5.1 sound, and when DD is OFF that the Receiver is decoding the raw stream to give me 5.1 sound?

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The settings on the hr20 get reversed. Your Sony is right. I have found if I set my Hr20 to DD on and the surround amp does not detect DD I can reset the HR 20 by hitting the red button and when it boots back up the DD on/off is correct but if I start changing it again it will get reversed again so I leave it alone.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Thank you kpage. So if the blue reciever light is on there is no need to reboot. How do you know if you are receiving an MP4 stream? Is there an indicator or info button somewhere?

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The blue light does not indicate if you are recieving in DD. Other people have said Discovery HD always brodcast's in DD. I have found that every time I tune to that channel it is in DD.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
kpage said:
The blue light does not indicate if you are recieving in DD. Other people have said Discovery HD always brodcast's in DD. I have found that every time I tune to that channel it is in DD.
I meant the blue light on the Sony 5.1 receiver not the HR20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.