DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the HR20 for a couple of days and haven't seen anything with Dolby Digital or 5.1 sound. Are there specific shows or movies or channels that provide DD or DD5.1? My Harman Kardon receiver is showing its not getting Dolby from the HR20. I have the HR20 enabled for Dolby output.

Any info is appreciated. thanks.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
311 Posts
Check DirecTV channels 76, 78 and 79. These have Dolby Digital 5.1 turned on nearly 100% of the time. You need to subscribe to the HD package to get these.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phil T said:
I had the same issue right after install. It fixed itself after last Wednesday's software download.

You may want to make sure you have oxD8.

A reboot might be in order: http://67.19.74.172/showthread.php?t=66599
A reboot cured it! The manual said that shows with DD5.1 will say so in the program info. I don't see the DD logo in these program info screens.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
indy300 said:
A reboot cured it! The manual said that shows with DD5.1 will say so in the program info. I don't see the DD logo in these program info screens.
The guide data isn't that good in the 10 years I have been with DirecTV. ;) In any case, as mentioned, the only thing in DD 5.1 are the HD channels most of the time, a PPV here and there, and perhaps the main premium movie feed from time to time. Your local HD station may be 5.1, it all depends on a) does the channel broadcast it and b) is the program in question even in 5.1.

That's it. Everything is else is just stereo.

·
Legend
189 Posts
With both of my boxes, when I first set them up, I turned Dolby on, but neither audio receiver was playing in 5.1. What I had to do in both cases was, go back into the HR20 setup, turn Dolby off, then back on. Then it worked.

Not sure if this matters, but I am using optical on both of my boxes.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Also your A/V receiver should probably be setup to "autodetect" the type of audio stream coming in over the optical. I have mine set that if it's 5.1 it decodes that, if it's just the PCM stream (which is what is sent over opitcal if 5.1 is not available) then decode that to Pro Logic. If you don't you may get all types of weird audio if it's not actually 5.1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.