DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wed evening I Got home and wanted to watch TV. I tried to watch some recordings but would not work all recordings were black, no fast forward and reboot did not help. when I unpluged and repluged it came up and could not find sats. so I took upstairs where another hr20 is and pluged it there same result but the other worked. so I decided to leave it alone all night and try tonight. tried again and it wass till messed up. so I took off the B converters and forced another download of the software and all was better after that. so I dont know if its the b converters or the software download that helped but it is working as of right now. D has one on its way to me but at least Ill have mine working and I Can watch my programs.
thanks to earl and the others who have given us such good tips and trick along the way. Thanks to those who beta test our stuff and try to get it all working right. I have had little to no issues with 2 recorders with the last 2 updates this was the first Ive had. oh well at least its working and maybe worth a try

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
You didn't happen to note, what version you had Wednesday night before shutting it down and going upstairs did yah?

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
You didn't happen to note, what version you had Wednesday night before shutting it down and going upstairs did yah?
Is this a red herring, or could those B converters be an issue. Seems like a longshot. I know we don't need them yet. Should we remove them as a precaution? And later, when we need them for whatever reason, will they cause a problem.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
tstarn said:
Is this a red herring, or could those B converters be an issue. Seems like a longshot. I know we don't need them yet. Should we remove them as a precaution? And later, when we need them for whatever reason, will they cause a problem.
We have been recommending for a long time, as one of the trouble shooting steps is to pull the BBC's

Right now they are not needed. But just like any other piece of hardware, they can fail and cause an issue.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
We have been recommending for a long time, as one of the trouble shooting steps is to pull the BBC's

Right now they are not needed. But just like any other piece of hardware, they can fail and cause an issue.
I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Sorry, but what is a BBC and where would I find it?

You can answer after you stop laughing.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Vinny said:

It is that little bar of soap attached to the back of your HR20 (there are two, on on each connection), if you have them at all. They came with the box. They are filters of some sort for later use with new sats. Very untechnical explanation, but if you have them, you will know. If the wires from your dish go right into your box, then no BBCs.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
tstarn said:
It is that little bar of soap attached to the back of your HR20 (there are two, on on each connection), if you have them at all. They came with the box. They are filters of some sort for later use with new sats. Very untechnical explanation, but if you have them, you will know. If the wires from your dish go right into your box, then no BBCs.
Thanks....I got them and I've been pretty much stable.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Vinny said:
Thanks....I got them and I've been pretty much stable.
Sounds like Earl is saying the fewer HD attachments, the better right now. But if you are stable, status quo is good.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Yes. I'm definitely from the school...."if it ain't broke; don't fix it."

·
Legend
139 Posts
tstarn said:
They are filters of some sort for later use with new sats.
They are not really a filter, but a converter, hence the name, "B-Band Converter" (BBC).
They will convert an "unusable" frequency signal into one that is "usable" or recognizable to the receiver.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
kvitense said:
They are not really a filter, but a converter, hence the name, "B-Band Converter" (BBC).
They will convert an "unusable" frequency signal into one that is "usable" or recognizable to the receiver.
Whatever, I took them off and so far, no repeat lockups or issues. Have no idea if that's the difference, just a desperation attempt for some stability. Completely unscientific, of course. But if Earl says get rid of them, why not?

·
AllStar
65 Posts
Vinny said:

Are these converters different than a "multi-switch"...laugh all you want, I don't know difference between a multi switch and a converter. After reading some stuff here before my install, I wanted to make sure to get the Zinwell WB68 multi swith I kept reading about. I looked in my box and saw these converters, but they were Zinwell Uxx...can't remember exactly, but I started to worry because the weren't the WB68's I was hoping for.

Am I talking about two different things? Just for the record, I only have one DVR. Am i right in thinking I only need a multi swith if I have another recorder. I do have another Directv receiver in a bedroom that still works.

-Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
The Broad Band Converter (BBC) and a multiswitch, are two different things, and have nothing to do with each other.

You only need a multiswitch if you have a total of more than 4 receivers/tuners that need to be connected. You can have a DVR plus two non-DVR recievers, or two DVR's, or no DVR and 4 recievers, etc., without needing a multiswitch.

Carl

·
AllStar
65 Posts
carl6 said:
The Broad Band Converter (BBC) and a multiswitch, are two different things, and have nothing to do with each other.

You only need a multiswitch if you have a total of more than 4 receivers/tuners that need to be connected. You can have a DVR plus two non-DVR recievers, or two DVR's, or no DVR and 4 recievers, etc., without needing a multiswitch.

Carl
Thanks, I appreciate you clearing that up for me.

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
I had the same problem with the BBC's. I had initially self installed my HR20 and did not do the BBC's but Directv insisted that I put those on when they delivered a new H20 replace my old Toshiba HD receiver. Of course, the next morning, my unit crashed and when I tried to reset it, I couldn't get anything from the satellite until I took those guys off. One interesting thing was that my TV (Philips 50PF7320A/37) TV started having problems such as green hue to my screen and distortions in the picture such as the picture being off centered. I had the same problem with my Xbox 360 so it was likely a TV problem - both connected via component. I was about to give up and turn in my TV to the shop but I decided to try the HDMI output from my DVR - it didn't work (have never got it to work) but it seemed to "shock" my TV back into working. Any thoughts on this? Did the BBC mess up my TV?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.