DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I bought a new LCD TV and upgraded to VIP622. Install went OK from Dish. When I got home I noticed the installers used the AV out instead of the HDMI. I bought an HDMI cable and life was good for a day or two. The sound would cut out sometimes and the whole signal cuts out completely now several times a day.
If you wiggle the connector you can get the picture to come back. I thought it might be the cable so I swapped ends. The problem is still at the receiver. I called Dish and I am steaming mad because the tech said, “.. we are having issues with the HDMI connector and we recommend you use the AV connector until the problem is resolved.” He wouldn’t even acknowledge an obvious hardware problem on top of a known firmware problem. This is a brand new receiver! Dish lied to me by telling me they had the best picture quality, and was 100% digital.

I spoke with Dish again yesterday. They agreed to the false advertising and said they’ll let me try another receiver at no cost. Any thoughts? Am I alone with this problem? I can’t believe Dish is telling me to go analog with this setup.:mad:

Tim

·
Godfather/Supporter
1,436 Posts
No your not alone. Lots of us have been in the same boat, just do a search on 622 and HDMI problems. Send it back get a replacement. Its a hardware issue but they'll tell you its a software issue.

Oh and welcome to DBSTalk.com! :welcome_s

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
When you say you are using the AV connector are you using the RCA connection? That would be very bad for the PQ. What you should be using is the Component connection. That still gives you a digital connection rather than analog and, on most TVs, will provide about the same picture quality as HDMI. You will have to use the RCA, or TOS link, for audio but don't use the yellow video connector.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,970 Posts
Hunter Green said:
There are only two kinds of 622s: the ones whose HDMI port has failed, and the ones whose HDMI ports are going to fail. Mine lasted about two months.
Well, knock on wood but I've had mine since April and HDMI has been solid from day one. :)

·
Godfather/Supporter
1,436 Posts
Component is an analog connection but a good one still. It should be used as a short term stop gap fix until he gets a replacement 622.

ChuckA said:
When you say you are using the AV connector are you using the RCA connection? That would be very bad for the PQ. What you should be using is the Component connection. That still gives you a digital connection rather than analog and, on most TVs, will provide about the same picture quality as HDMI. You will have to use the RCA, or TOS link, for audio but don't use the yellow video connector.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ChuckA said:
When you say you are using the AV connector are you using the RCA connection? That would be very bad for the PQ. What you should be using in the Component connection. That still gives you a digital connection rather than analog and, on most TVs, will provide about the same picture quality as HDMI. You will have to use the RCA, or TOS link, for audio but don't use the yellow video connector.
Yes, Dish installed the RCA. It was terrible. I thought the Component out was the R-G-B analog signals. I'll give it a try if the new HDMI dosen't work. If I notice a difference and the HDMI still dosen't work, I'm going to have Dish take everything back for a full refund and use Charters PVR. I'll also contact consumer groups and our attourney generals office for Dish's misrepresentation if I don't get satisfaction. Thanks for the info.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
I mis-spoke on the Component being digital, not enough coffee yet this morning. What I was intending to say is that Component can carry HD like HDMI. It will give you a much better picture than the RCA video connection. Lots of folks run Component only. Some say their TV gets a better PQ on Component than on HDMI. I have both connected to my TV and can't really tell any difference between the two other than the audio over HDMI.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Hunter Green said:
There are only two kinds of 622s: the ones whose HDMI port has failed, and the ones whose HDMI ports are going to fail. Mine lasted about two months.
Not an accurate statement. Many users HDMI ports have worked since day one without a hitch. I've been using the HDMI port on mine since February without an issue.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of problems with the HDMI ports on some receivers, but to say ALL will fail is a gross overstatement.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Rob Glasser said:
Not an accurate statement. Many users HDMI ports have worked since day one without a hitch. I've been using the HDMI port on mine since February without an issue.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of problems with the HDMI ports on some receivers, but to say ALL will fail is a gross overstatement.
I thought "day one" was in April, 6 months ago. I don't see how you can say they won't fail when they have only been out 6 months.

·
Legend
236 Posts
Had my install a couple of weeks ago. Installer looked at me quizzically when I asked about HDMI issues.....said he didn't have any with his installs and made the connection without thinking twice. Glad mine works 'cause the component connections to my TV are used up. BTW, it's kinda silly to hook up an HDTV with the composite connection....what the h*ll were they thinking. One more BTW, I don't see much of any difference between component and HDMI....I think the quality is very close and wouldn't mind either.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Has anyone compared the later revisions to the older ones? Have they changed the design on the HDMI internally?

My 622 is in a cabinet with a solid back, so ever time I have to get to the back of the unit, I am going to put stress on the HDMI when I turn the receiver. If they don't re-engineer this, it will probably always go bad on me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.