DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish Network or its affiliated companies applied to control web address ending in .dish, .blockbuster, .hughes, and .sling. Dish Network owns Blockbuster video rental and streaming company. The latter two top-level domains would correspond to the Hughes Communications subsidiary of sister company EchoStar, and to its Sling Media technology.

But Dish also got inventive, applying for top-level domains that would mean it could control web addresses ending in .movie, .phone, .locker, .data, .dot, .stream, .dvr, .latino and .ott (which corresponds with "over-the-top," a reference to Internet-delivered television).

And then it also applied for .direct and .dtv.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/boosters_bits/2012/06/dish-network-lays-claim-to.html

'dems fightin' words! :D

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Hahahahahahah love it

·
Legend
103 Posts
They applied, but it doesn't mean they will get them. They have to negotiate with whomever else applies for the same TLD, and if no agreements can be reached, the TLD goes up for auction.

Look how many TLDs Amazon and Google are in competition for.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts
Didn't I hear it's $125,000 to bid and it costs $25,000 per year per address? - keeps the mom & pop stuff outside.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it true that ICANN can decide that the gTLD should not be awarded to anyone and simply not award it?

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim5506 said:
Didn't I hear it's $125,000 to bid
$185,000

Stuart Sweet said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it true that ICANN can decide that the gTLD should not be awarded to anyone and simply not award it?
If no one else made a request, the domain should be approved. There appears to be a challenge underway though according to this article: http://www.redriverradio.org/post/icanns-call-new-domain-names-brings-criticism-and-357-million.

Anybody know who Daniel Schindler of Half Trail, LLC is and why he would request .direct? Would he be able to outlast Dish?

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dish has competition for" movie," including from the Motion Picture Domain Registry, and for Direct, but from Half Trail LLC, not DirecTV, or at least not directly.
and there are mechanisms in place to block name poachers through a trademark blocking list and arbitration mechanisms.
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/485891-Media_Companies_Attempt_to_Master_New_Domains.php

Maybe they can decline a request if there's a trademark issue, but is either .direct or .dtv a valid trademark?

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Daniel Schindler is with Donuts.co, which has applied for hundreds of the new TLDs, using hundreds of different LLCs to do it.

WSJ had an article about him today or yesterday. The company is VC-funded and has something like $6 mil into this so far.

Keith

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Given that DTV is the stock symbol for DIRECTV there may be cause to reject the application. I am not certain of the mechanism but it is possible.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
If DirecTV can latch onto a generic term to make people think of their company, why can't Dish also use it in areas not related to stocks?

DTV = digital television

·
Super Moderator
53,496 Posts
.direct without the v isn't DirecTV. It could be mattress.direct or droid.direct. A good TLD for any direct marketing company. DirecTV should not get to own .direct arbitrarily.

The subdomains that DISH does not want to use for themselves (dish.direct would be a good in house domain) they could sell to others and make some money.

.dtv could be digital television, it does not have to be a stock symbol. We tend to think of the satellite companies first. I'll admit that there are not a lot of alternative users for "DTV" with DirecTV and digital TV being the highest hits when searching for those three letters.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
"James Long" said:
.direct without the v isn't DirecTV. It could be mattress.direct or droid.direct. A good TLD for any direct marketing company. DirecTV should not get to own .direct arbitrarily.

The subdomains that DISH does not want to use for themselves (dish.direct would be a good in house domain) they could sell to others and make some money.

.dtv could be digital television, it does not have to be a stock symbol. We tend to think of the satellite companies first. I'll admit that there are not a lot of alternative users for "DTV" with DirecTV and digital TV being the highest hits when searching for those three letters.
And .dish could be for a housewares company, right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.