DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know IF the 7100/7200 Dishplayers are technically capable of Caller ID on-creen display? If yes, is there any reason to beleive the software WILL ever be introduced to allow such a "neat-o, keen, cool" feature to be enabled?

Thanks

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Yes, I am pretty sure they ARE capable of it. I am even more sure however, that the software to support it will never be released.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
I pretty sure the DishPlayers do not have the Caller ID hardware, I think it was on a chat quite a while ago.

RodP

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
CallerID hardware? What hardware is needed? It uses a 56k softmodem! In the unlikely event the modem can't do it a firmware flash could fix that and the software could easily be written to display it. I don't think there is any hardware needed.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
Ic annot say that I know the answer definitively. But I too remember a Charlie Chat reference to hardware limitations. Having said that memories can be faulty and the references can be subject to interpretation.

I would ask DISH this but I am skeptical that you would get a real response.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
As a former WebTV/Dishplayer Beta Tester (Called Previewer) I can tell you that the Dishplayer CAN do Caller ID.

They told us once they were working on adding it to a future version.

I know some people have took a hex editor to a Dishplayer Hard drive to find some Caller ID strings listed.

I think the caller ID may have been hampered as at the time Dish was in a lawsuit with the patent holder to on screen caller ID.

I guess its a case of getting it finished off.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Caller ID shuld not really be a burden, the work is done by the modem (which needs a different init string then the one its using now. The modem then sends an ASCII string which in turn is displayed by the Dishplayer.

Its not that hard is it? Oh yeah Mike I forgot we ARE talking about the Dishplayer :D

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
They told us once they were working on adding it to a future version.
I thought it was kind of odd that the 5000 had it and the 7100 came out later and did not. Since the DishPlayer was connected to Web Tv, I believed it wasn't in the building plans. I am using a 5000 showroom unit on AUX mode from the DishPlayer(IBM 40 gig) to use the caller ID and to catch the retailer chats at home. I would love to see the DP get these new features, but I think the 721 is going to change my loyalty. I sold a lot of DP's, I sure would like to hear from a :) customer.

Later Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.