DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from DP34 to DP44 when I added DishNetwork's HDTV package.

Because Dish's HD package do not have some of the local HD channels availables here in Southern California, I decided to put up a OTA antenna and use a diplexer to chare one of the coax line from my roof to the DP44.

I think I did the installation correctly in pointing the OTA antenna and placing the 2 diplexers at the right places, because both my Vip211 (HD) and DP311 receiver can still get the programming from the satellite that is sharing the coax line with the OTA antenna.

However, I cannot get any signal from the OTA antanna through the ANT side of the diplexer.

I am looking assistance on diagnosing the problem. After doing some research on the web, I know one possible cause is that I am using non-approved diplexer (cheap RCA) instaed of the approved ones for DP44 (Holland DPD2).

I want to know if others on this board know of other similar experiences and possible solutions.

Thanks for any help,

Pat

P.S., I am pretty sure I am pointing the OTA antenna in the right direction for HD because I live on the foothill right below the HD transmission tower (I can even see the towers on the rare non-smoggy southern California days).

I can pick HD programming with an cheapo indoor antenna but my DP44 is located in a wiring closet with too much interferences, that's why I installed the OTA antenna.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,856 Posts
You can't feed the OTA antenna through the DPP44. You need to install a diplexer downstream of the DPP44 for each line that needs an OTA feed and then again at the receiver to split it back out.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am use 2 diplexers, one on my roof to combine the OTA antenna and satellite signals, and another diplexer just before DR44 to split the signal with the Sat port of the diplexer connect to DP44.

·
Icon
546 Posts
patlintwo said:
I am use 2 diplexers, one on my roof to combine the OTA antenna and satellite signals, and another diplexer just before DR44 to split the signal with the Sat port of the diplexer connect to DP44.
You'll need a 2nd set of diplexers after the DP44 and behind each rcvr. One diplexer outside, a 2nd before the DP44. ANT from the 2nd diplexer directly to the ANT of the 3rd diplexer or via splitter to 3rd. Fourth diplexer behind each rcvr. SAT input from the 2nd diplexer into the DP44. OUT TO RCVR ports from the DP44 into SAT port of the 3rd diplexer(s). You may need a signal booster for your OTA before the 3rd diplexer since you're splitting it so much.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all of your input.

I found information that the only approved diplxer for DishNetowrk's DP44 is Holland Electronics's DPD2. (I used the off-the-shelf RCA diplexer.)

When I called Holland, I was told it's because DP44 is amplified and sends power out and can fry other brands' diplexer, and Holland's diplexer DPD2 is specifically designed to withstand that.

Can you guys tell me if this make sense. (I check the Dish Netowork document and am sure I coneect everything correctly).

Thanks.

·
Icon
546 Posts
patlintwo said:
Thanks guys for all of your input.

I found information that the only approved diplxer for DishNetowrk's DP44 is Holland Electronics's DPD2. (I used the off-the-shelf RCA diplexer.)

When I called Holland, I was told it's because DP44 is amplified and sends power out and can fry other brands' diplexer, and Holland's diplexer DPD2 is specifically designed to withstand that.

Can you guys tell me if this make sense. (I check the Dish Netowork document and am sure I coneect everything correctly).

Thanks.
RCA diplexers are not reliable in my experience. However Eagle Aspens, Skywalkers, ASKA's and Perfect Vision's have proved reliable. Holland's work well, but cost two/three times as much. I've diplexed numerous DP44's on the power insertion line and have never had a callback on account of a fried diplexer. Trust me, Holland has a financial stake in remaining the only Dish approved diplexer.

·
Legend
204 Posts
Well I have had the cheapo RCAs for quite a while now and no issues. I had it both with the dpp34 and now the dpp44. I had the dpp34 for about 3 years and the 44 since feb. and I have yet to have any problems so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.