DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting DSL its to be installed next week. I am considering networking 2 computers. Is there a length limitation to ethernet cables?

I am SO GLAD version is offering DSL, I truly want NOTHING to do with cable.....Espically AT&T

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Hey Bob,

100 meters is about as long as you want to go. Obviously the shorter the better.

When you network the computers, you might want to invest in a router rather than a simple hub. Routers are much better for connecting 2 or more computers to 1 DSL connection. The Linksys router works well http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20 and has a built in firewall. Also make sure you have 100BaseT network cards in your computers. The transfer rates are MUCH quicker.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
And there is also wireless. Where that Linksys DSL Router Chris mentioned is around $74 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SB92 , the same one with Wireless Access Point Built in http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ARK3 will cost you $134 and will allow you to not worry so much about cabling.

Pros: If you have a notebook, you can move it around from room to room and always stay connected.

Cons: Your Wireless Network speed will be about 11 Megabits (Farther away yo go from the Wireless Access Ppint the slower the speed) While cable wired these days will get you around 100Megabits, But if all you care is about Internet Access, your DSL connection will probably be closer to .144 Megabits to 2 Megabits, at physically at most 10Megabits. So Wireless dosen't hurt you. If you do alot of transfer of files between your machines the speed will be much slower with wireless. Also you need to make sure you setup your wireless network to not use the default encryption key, because any neighbor may inadvertantely join your network when they boot up (Think about UHF Dishnetwork remotes all set to 1 within 30 feet of each other, set them to different #s and life is better) From Linksys it says "Range of operation of up to 150 meters indoors, up to 500 meters outdoors". But when you are at the limits your will be connecting alot slower the 11Megabits.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
Bob, I am really enjoying my cable modem. :D But that is beside the point. And I don't have ATT.
Anyway, as Chris said the limit is 100 meters. If you are looking for the best solution, the router is the best choice. If you are looking at the cheapest solution, if you are only connecting two computers, you don't need a router or a hub. All you need is at least one network card in each computer and Internet Connection Sharing. I know many people don't like ICS, but I am now using it with ME, and it has been improved immensly since 98. It is much more stable these days. If your modem connects to your computer with UBS you just set up your network with the NIC in each computer. If the modem connects to a NIC you will have to add a second card in the computer acting as the server. You need to make sure you use a crossover cord, not a standard patch cord. For a better explanation many websights explain the process, including this one: http://cwdixon.com/support/win98_support/dun_ics.htm
In setting up a firewall, you do need to make sure that it supports ICS, not all of them do.

·
Godfather
309 Posts
You can use a Linksys Router(cheap) for a network. I use it. It is very good.

Unfortunetly I have ATT(They are the spawn of Satan) and I am capped at 1500kbs/128kbs while people just a few towns away recieve uncapped speeds which are just as fast t1s for al lower price then I pay :(

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Originally posted by gcutler
same one with Wireless Access Point Built in http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ARK3 will cost you $134 and will allow you to not worry so much about cabling.
Don't forget, you also have to buy wireless cards for each computer on top of the $134 for the router. Wireless is a much more expensive option, less secure and slower. I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
Actually if implemented properly the wireless solution can really give alot of freedom. Even the cost of the Wireless NICs has come down, but you are right, you can't get that generic and stable $20 card like you can with the wired type.

As for speed, if only used to access the internet, the speed is not as big as a deal. What good is having a 100MBp network if you are only using the network to connect out to the internet at a max speed of 1MBp based on your best DSL speed.

Just that there are considerations....

1) If the budget is like $100 total for everything for 2 PCs (including router)
2) Not someone who wants to get involved with the issues of wireless
3) If they share files amongst the other PCs

Then Wireless is not a good idea.

But is someone had a budget of $225 for 2 PCs (including router), it can be done very well and safe and easy.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005854E/
Linksys Wireless nic $45
But even with the limitiations, I know people who can never go back to Wired. At work we setup a test Wireless network and after 6 months wanted to take it down, but anyone who used it made such a stink about it, that our test environment became production over night (the fact that most of the IT department fell in love with it as well made the conversion to production less problematic) Nothing like being in a conference room staff meeting with not one wire connected to any notebook (power or network)

But my paranoia says, thats way tooo may radio waves zapping thru our brains :shrug:

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
Speaking of paranoia, a few nights ago one of the local tv stations here in Omaha had a news segment where they went for a short drive and tapped into 59 wireless networks. Very few have any kind of security. Bob, if you can run cable for a dish system you should be able to run some network cable. :D

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
Originally posted by Bogy
Speaking of paranoia, a few nights ago one of the local tv stations here in Omaha had a news segment where they went for a short drive and tapped into 59 wireless networks. Very few have any kind of security.
And all it takes is like 5 seconds to fix that. Something else to consider, you'd be shocked how many people who buy the regular wired DSL Routers don't change the default password. And many of the routers will give some hint of when probed so even with the Routers, not very secure if the default password is left as is.

Sad thing is this info is available to the implementers but they often don't read the white paper or even manual. Even on my Dish recievers I change the default password so a "Visitor" can't drive me crazy by turning on the protection and blocking CNN :D

·
Banned
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great uinfo. For costs and security I will probably go wired with a router. I dont have a laptop and my computers stay in one spot. I will definetely use a password so people cant mess with my system. Now if verison would get my service on line. I am looking forward to high speed access. The money I save by deleting a phone line will roughly equal the cost of DSL, so its a good deal for us. Thanks for all the responses.

Oh yeah whats 100 meters in feet?

·
Banned
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so the ethernet cable runs max length is over 300 feet, thats amazing, mine likely will be shorter than 50 feet. Its a matter of getting it thru the walls the easiest way. Easiest is likely longer....

Thanks Chris.

HO HO maybe I should go wireless and see if any neighbors systems are availabe at no charge?:) Just joking but (I bet folks do that on occasion. is there a way for a wirless sub to know if someone sealing their signal? I am curious about that since Jen says wirless would be neat, she wants a laptop some day.

I have had problems with E remotes, there are other subs close by and every now and then I have had to change the address. Either that or neighborhood kids are having fun, In my youth I once opened a neighbors electric garage door with a kit my mom bought me to learn about electroinics, she was not amused:(

I just opened it for sport, didnt do any harm but ratle a neighbors nerves:)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
Bob,

Every Network Card (or router) has a hard coded Physical ID assigned to it (something like 01-23-45-67-89-AB-CD). No card in the world is supposed to have an identical address (as vendors will always have the first 2 or 4 digits that only belong to them). If you went into the diagnostics/setup of the Wireless system you could see a list of active addresses. You could easily find out what MAC addresses are active on your Wireless Access Point and then see which ones match your two PCs and Router. And if there were extra devices on the network it would probably be proof that you had a visitor. :nono:

If you are running 95/89/ME, load WINIPCFG, pick the network card (may default to modem). Then in the details you could see the Physical or MAC address. In NT, W2K, or XP, you would do

IPCONFIG /all,

Here is a heavily edited (some outright lies) listing of my IPCONFIG ...

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gcutler's PC
....Removed non importants stuff....

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com(R) 10/100 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 01-23-45-67-89-AB

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
My local news just has a "Special" on the potential insecurity of wireless, but they actually found supermarkets and government agencies (tomorrow is for the home networks). It was shocking that as of May 6th 2002 there would be corporate or govt agencies that were unaware of the default settings being insecure. Home users no shock, but the IT people on these companies mentioned need to be spoken to.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
Even better, if he is ever at a friends house who does not have DSL or Cable Modem, he may go insane trying to use the connection from it being unbearably slow with a the dialup connection :grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
AOL is more evil than ATT. I spent about five hours a couple of weeks ago restoring the computer of my daughter's roommate. After they got their cable modem installed she deleted AOL, and it somehow took all the network protocols with it. At least it gave me a chance to get rid of all the other junk she had downloaded, or that had downloaded itself over the past couple of years.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,027 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Haller
HO HO maybe I should go wireless and see if any neighbors systems are availabe at no charge?:) Just joking but (I bet folks do that on occasion. is there a way for a wirless sub to know if someone sealing their signal? I am curious about that since Jen says wirless would be neat, she wants a laptop some day.
Well there are some altruistic folks who are setting up urban wireless networks for the masses. Maybe you should think of your neighbors as friends instead of "network intruders".

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-273516.html?legacy=cnet
http://www.nycwireless.net/

:)

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
I do not really consider wireless (802.11b) to be that insecure...
I mean, look, if you need privacy for what your sending, you should be using another layer of encryption instead of just WEP.
If you are using RSA 128-bit data encryption while your making an online purchase through an "unsecure/non-WEP" wireless connection, you still have just as much protection as a dialup or cable modem user.

The only thing I can see getting looked at would be stuff like your webpages (unsecured) and your instant messages!

On the "neighbor stealing your connection", you can choose in the access point setup to not broadcast itself as a network. So, only if you know the network name you can connect. You can also setup MAC address filtering, where only the client cards you specify can connect to the network.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.