DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I really hate to bring this up but while reading these Forum posts I see alot of people who said their installers asked for cash. I thought I was the only one !!! :mad:

The guys basically was going to do a [email protected]%%y job and said to me....."making it clean is not on the invoice...just a basic hookup and I'm under a time crunch....of course if you take tare of me ($$) I will put in the extra work. I was furious but what else could I do....I paid the guy $50 cash.

Does D* know their installers do this "stuff" ?

Anyway, be curious other posts.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
It seems completely bogus to me about having to pay the installer anything extra. I would really love to know D*s official stance on this.

· Mentor
44 Posts
I would have either told the installer to leave at that point or called and asked for a supervisor. No way in heck do I pay the installer extra for doing his job. If he does a great job, I may tip him but he is not going to hold me hostage to do his job correctly.

· Godfather
313 Posts
This is crazy. No way am I paying somebody to do his job right. Like Steelr says he may get a tip for doing a great job, but he gets nothing from me for doing his job. Well that's not completly true. He gets a tongue lashing and a boot off my property.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
[email protected] no. I'd be on the phone to the supervisor immediately. Then I'd report both the installer and the company to DirecTV. My installer said they actually work for DirecTV and commented if he didn't do the install right and I called to complain or get something fixed then he'd have to come out and fix it but it's only be a "service call" at that point and he'd only get $15 or something no matter how long it took to fix it. So if it took 3 hours he'd be working for 5 bucks and hour that call. So basically he made sure everything was right to my satisfaction before he left.

No way would I accept to "bribe" the installer to do his job.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
Ours suckered us out of $50 for a "custom install" which was him running wires in the attic. He didn't even do it right, he spliced old wires up there from our old 3-lnb run. It goes:
AT9=={old wires up into attic}=={cut & connect}==={new wire}==={cut & connect again}=={new wire}===HR20

No wonder that tv has signal issues....lazy "bleeping" install.

· Legend
146 Posts
"Please do not ask for extra money as a kick in the teeth often offends!"

Seriously, their job is to install tidily and it is most definitely NOT an extra to "do a neat job". I'm with those who say call his supervisor and tell D* about this strongarm tactic!

· Mentor
40 Posts
Completely unacceptable.

If that happened to me, I'd try to maneuver him towards one of the several key locations around my property to reaffirm/restate his request/demand: I have motion-detection cameras that record with sound (mostly hidden).

*Then* the fun begins!

· Banned
614 Posts
If the installer goes out and does a great job, it should be OK for you to tip if you want to.:sure:

· Legend
139 Posts
NCEarlb said:
I would call D* and tell them about it. I am sure they do not condone this and they would love to know who it was.

Earl
So far, everyone's advice has been right on. Since I have personal experience dealing with this from the other side of the fence- let me recommend you a course of action that will give you the most effective response:

Do not call DirecTV and complain about this. Call up DirecTV and ask for the number to the local installation office. Call that number and ask to speak to the site manager. If you would like, PM me and I will give you the exact language to use to get the quickest attention.

What that tech did is borderline extortion, but definitely considered embezzlement. This is something that I go over in my training classes with technicians; if you are exchanging money from a customer on a quid pro quo basis and it is not voluntary on the part of the customer (e.g. a gratuity etc.) then it is embezzlement plain and simple.

I'm sorry you were put in this position.

· Banned
70 Posts
Well I don't know what those guys get paid, but I would gladly pay for installation if I could get a true appointment and someone to acutally show up.

I have my 4th AT-9 Install scheduled for Saturday.

Instal 1 - 8-12 appt. Guy shows up at 5:30 has three teeth and says he has never installed one before. He starts digging a hole in my front yard for a fence post. Sent him away. I decided to wait on the HR-20.

Install 2 - 1-5 appt. Thought afternoon was safer after Install 1. Guy shows up 4:45. Walks in the front door and it starts raining... hard. He couldn't do it. I told him about 3 teeth guy #1. Has to reschedule for 2 WEEKS later.

Install 3 - 8-12 appt. It rains a lot in the afternoon. Wait till 12. No Guy. Call. On hold for 45 minutes. We call the local office, they say no equipement left. They had dishes but no HR-20s left. I start on the I don't need someone to run the cable from the wall to the box bit... Had to reschedule for 2 WEEKS later again.

Install 4 - 8-12 appt. I actually have 2 installs scheduled for the same day :D One H-20 and one HR-20... Somebody better bring me a dish.

· Legend
144 Posts
sandiegojoe said:
I'd call D* and ask for a $50 credit. Let them track down the installer and bust him.

That said I gave my installer a $20 tip and some homemade cookies for busting his a$$ on a 5 hour installation.
I likewise slipped mine $15 because he stayed well into the darkness and never once hurried, doing an incredibly professional job to a near perfectionist level without a single complaint. I was glad to do it, but I would never be shaken down so I hope you can get some relief from D*, as you should.

Edit: Not to split hairs, but what bpayne said is not technically correct. It's not embezzlement at all. For that to be the case, the installer would have had to have been entrusted with the money to begin with, i.e. had a right to possess it, and then taken it for his own personal use. It's wrong, unethical and probably a violation of their employee code of conduct, but embezzlement it ain't. As my shirt from Target says, "Trust me--I'm a lawyer."

· Legend
125 Posts
I have had 3 installers in the last 2 months.

First guy did the initial install of H20, R-15 and 2 SD receivers. He was very cool. I went into the attic and pulled all the cables. I had it all set up with strings to pull the cables down to each room. He even ran an extra cable for my OTA antenna. He got a $25 tip.

Second installer was ok, but since he was just adding a second R-15, No tip. He was gone in an hour.

Third crew (yes 2 of them) showed up to install HR-20. Guy was a know-it-all PITA. The other guy must of been new, he did not say much. Mr PITA tells me how I don't need OTA anymore as my HR-20 gets local OTA (no shiat) and the locals are much better via MPEG4 then OTA. :lol: I asked him if he had HD at his house he said no. I told him when you do get it call me back and tell me you are wrong. :lol: Mr PITA wanted me to pay him $50 to install a wireless phone jack as I did not have one over there. I told him I will install a hard line myself. He must of brought it up like 2-3 more times. I finally told him, if you continue to harrass me about the phone jack I will pick up the phone and call DTV. He then changed his attitude. Of course they got no tip at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.