DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Godfather
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I would say this, but DTV isn't worth it for me any more, eventhough I love Sunday Ticket I can't figure paying this much money on a DVR and service and it not working. DTV you have 1 year and 9 months more to figure this out, because if it isn't I am gone. A run down of my services would be a Premium member and a suscriber to Sunday Ticket with Superfan and Center Ice and Extra Innings. Oh and I paid $300 for my HR20 and I have been a perfect customer for 10 years. That is all going bye bye, come the end of my contract that I neither verbally agreed to or signed for. I don't know what service I will use, but it wont be DTV unless either they readopt Tivo or fix the HR20. The real sad part is I have always been a strong supporter of DTV and brought many friends and family to DTV. I never bothered getting the signing bonus either. Just my 2 cents.

· Banned
614 Posts
skierbri10 said:
I never thought I would say this, but DTV isn't worth it for me any more, eventhough I love Sunday Ticket I can't figure paying this much money on a DVR and service and it not working. DTV you have 1 year and 9 months more to figure this out, because if it isn't I am gone. A run down of my services would be a Premium member and a suscriber to Sunday Ticket with Superfan and Center Ice and Extra Innings. Oh and I paid $300 for my HR20 and I have been a perfect customer for 10 years. That is all going bye bye, come the end of my contract that I neither verbally agreed to or signed for. I don't know what service I will use, but it wont be DTV unless either they readopt Tivo or fix the HR20. The real sad part is I have always been a strong supporter of DTV and brought many friends and family to DTV. I never bothered getting the signing bonus either. Just my 2 cents.
I think it's Okay to express your bad experiences. However I think it's good your going to give DirecTV time to correct the bugs with the HR20. I feel by next spring it will be working as you expect.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
I think it's Okay to express your bad experiences. However I think it's good your going to give DirecTV time to correct the bugs with the HR20. I feel by next spring it will be working as you expect.
NEXT SPRING!!! Egad, that is forever and so very bad to hope for fixes by next spring. If my HR20s had cost me any $$, I would have returned them the first time the main one locked up and blew off every recording for a week (by recording only 1 minute of each timeslot.)

I stop using a restaurant if they mess up my order twice in a short time. I haven't flown a particular airline since they happily flew me to a city knowing I'd miss my connection and I would have to pay for a hotel--18 years ago! Why should I stick to a service provider who can't understand what it takes to program embedded consumer electronics and release equipment that works.

I am reasonable enough to understand a few blurps on seriously new and complex technology that multiple vendors are having problems with such as HDMI or MPEG2 to MPEG4 transcoding.

NEXT SPRING! I guess no longer than the return policy to let someone out of the 2 year commitment is much more balanced. If the return policy is 30 days, I'd give them 28. 90 days, I might give them 80 something. But if the return policy is only 10 days, look out. it would be going back...

Regards,
Tom

· Banned
614 Posts
tibber said:
NEXT SPRING!!! Egad, that is forever and so very bad to hope for fixes by next spring. If my HR20s had cost me any $$, I would have returned them the first time the main one locked up and blew off every recording for a week (by recording only 1 minute of each timeslot.)

I stop using a restaurant if they mess up my order twice in a short time. I haven't flown a particular airline since they happily flew me to a city knowing I'd miss my connection and I would have to pay for a hotel--18 years ago! Why should I stick to a service provider who can't understand what it takes to program embedded consumer electronics and release equipment that works.

I am reasonable enough to understand a few blurps on seriously new and complex technology that multiple vendors are having problems with such as HDMI or MPEG2 to MPEG4 transcoding.

NEXT SPRING! I guess no longer than the return policy to let someone out of the 2 year commitment is much more balanced. If the return policy is 30 days, I'd give them 28. 90 days, I might give them 80 something. But if the return policy is only 10 days, look out. it would be going back...

Regards,
Tom
I would say that for the most part based on what you have said above, that you can't be satisfied by anything or any company or restaurant. Getting all burned up about it is hurting you, not the company. DirecTV and the restaurants and other businesses will live and go on without you regardless of who you complain to. Sorry to say it, but it's a sign of the times, and the expectations you have can't be achieved. Your driving yourself insane. Companies don't really care about consumers... regardless of how bad service really is. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Please dont take offense by this... it's not personal.

· Godfather
335 Posts
Excuse me but, if I did business this way, I would be out of business. It's so amazing to me how many people in America have become so complacent and willing to accept mediocrity. There is a certain expectation that, if you buy a product or pay for a service, especially with a committment term, that it works to your expectation. D* doesn't advertise that their equipment has problems, do they. D* will eventually work the bugs out, sure, but, what gives them the right to mislead the public? Gimme a break.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
I would say that for the most part based on what you have said above, that you can't be satisfied by anything or any company or restaurant. Getting all burned up about it is hurting you, not the company. DirecTV and the restaurants and other businesses will live and go on without you regardless of who you complain to. Sorry to say it, but it's a sign of the times, and the expectations you have can't be achieved. Your driving yourself insane. Companies don't really care about consumers... regardless of how bad service really is. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Please dont take offense by this... it's not personal.
:) No offense taken. I do have (very) high standards. And thanks for the warnings. I generally don't stress too much about any one provider. I just move on.

And thankfully, there are many service providers who regularly want my business and manage to meet them. Yes, stuff does happen with even the very best. But they take care of their customers immediately.

So far, D* has taken very good care me historically. When issues came up, fairly rare, they have done the appropriate things. I try to maintain a balanced perspective on the HR20 against D* in general. In my mind, I visualize D* as a service company venturing into consumer electronics and floundering. (Yes, I do know about their original history-- I wasn't too far from Thompson electronics at the time of the original anouncement. I can only assume everyone with real hardware experience stayed when D* was sold off...)

Lastly, I think/hope D* will fix the bulk of the real defects by the end of the year. The HR20 has promise. And my experience with 0xFA is so much better. (I've posted in the main 0xFA thread some of the good things and some info that might help D* diagnose how I've gone from very bad to much better experiences in comparison to people whose experiences have gone they other way.)

Cheers,
Tom

· Godfather
289 Posts
skierbri10 said:
I couldn't agree more with your comments. I've been a Premium package customer for over 4 years and have loved D* for every month until about June of this year. I got my new 5 LNB dish installed in June and whoa, what a mess. After several different installers, it finally started working again. My bill is close to $150/month after the premium package, HD package, and 6 mirroring fees.

I too pray that D* brings back the Tivo software. I absolutely despise the new D* software. I just use my Hughes SD-DVR120 for recordings; this way I'll know that it WILL BE RECORDED

· Banned
90 Posts
To listen to the DTV shills and employees make excuses is hilarious, as soon as Comcast has adequate spanish channels in my market i am gone and DTV can shove this contract right up their you know what, they don;t perform so it's not worth the paper it's written on anyway so there is no reason for you to even wait till it's up, especially if you did not sign it. I have been a customer since 96. Now if they fix this junk in the meantime, of course I will stay, I would have no reason to need their crappy customer service because until this HD stuff their equipment was perfect.

· Icon
797 Posts
:lol: :lol:

This cracks me up. Not your pronlems, but the length of your last straw.

Boss to employee: "I'm fed up, you've got 1 year and nine months to find a way to get here on time!"

Wife to husband: "I'm fed up, this cheating has to stop. I won't put up with this for 22 months, 1 year and 9 months is all you have."

:lol: :lol:

I know you're frustrated, but your threat is just so empty.

· DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
richiephx said:
Excuse me but, if I did business this way, I would be out of business. It's so amazing to me how many people in America have become so complacent and willing to accept mediocrity. There is a certain expectation that, if you buy a product or pay for a service, especially with a commitment term, that it works to your expectation. D* doesn't advertise that their equipment has problems, do they. D* will eventually work the bugs out, sure, but, what gives them the right to mislead the public? Gimme a break.
It is amazing to me as well that in this country mediocrity is the norm. Almost every service you use you have to sign some sort of contract that you will pay the provider for "x" amount of months, but their is no repercussion for their failure to meet their end of the contract. I agree with Tibber, we should have higher expectations, and we should vote with our dollars. If Directv is not meeting your expectations, then you should leave today, not 22 months from now. I also don't agree re-adopting Tivo is the "silver bullet" either, there are a lot of problems in Tivo-land, read TC over in the S3 and HR10 forums. I think consumers should stand up for their rights and let suppliers know when they feel they are being "screwed" over. I know there are a few posts in this forum that describe exactly what words to use and how to do it with Directv, and I think if folks want to send a message they should follow through with it, not just suffer silently for two years and dump Directv. That does no good for anyone.

· Banned
614 Posts
Dave_S said:
It is amazing to me as well that in this country mediocrity is the norm. Almost every service you use you have to sign some sort of contract that you will pay the provider for "x" amount of months, but their is no repercussion for their failure to meet their end of the contract. I agree with Tibber, we should have higher expectations, and we should vote with our dollars. If Directv is not meeting your expectations, then you should leave today, not 22 months from now. I also don't agree re-adopting Tivo is the "silver bullet" either, there are a lot of problems in Tivo-land, read TC over in the S3 and HR10 forums. I think consumers should stand up for their rights and let suppliers know when they feel they are being "screwed" over. I know there are a few posts in this forum that describe exactly what words to use and how to do it with Directv, and I think if folks want to send a message they should follow through with it, not just suffer silently for two years and dump Directv. That does no good for anyone.
Before you throw in the towel... do you want Comcast? If you don't want Comcast, can you get FiOS from Verizon? If yes on FiOS, say goodbye DirecTV...:lol:

· Cool Member
12 Posts
I've been a loyal D* subscriber since the service launched, but I'm also about ready to give up. I survived the local channel litigation and kept my dish after D* took my local channels away, then charged me to bring them back. I moved across the country, tried digital cable briefly when HDTV hit the market, then came right back to D*. When the HR10 Tivo hit the market, I was in heaven. What a wonderful device. I set up OTA with a Radio Shack antenna hidden in the garage and told anyone who would listen how they needed HDTV and D*.

Then, tragically, my HR10 harddrive wore out and D* replaced it with the HR20. I'm in a 2 year contract, but I have all the problems complained of here on the forum. Shows don't get recorded. Shows are recorded and auto deleted immediately. Manual recording settings won't work at all. Contrary to salesman and userguide, I don't have my OTA channels anymore. I've spent week after week rebooting, talking to Level 2 tech support, and manually forcing software updates. Ugh.

Today, I made my first trip to the Dish Network web site to explore a direct alternative. Why shouldn't I switch immediately? The HR20 is defective. It won't reliably record and we don't know when the fixes will arrive. :mad:

· Banned
614 Posts
kevintoner said:
I've been a loyal D* subscriber since the service launched, but I'm also about ready to give up. I survived the local channel litigation and kept my dish after D* took my local channels away, then charged me to bring them back. I moved across the country, tried digital cable briefly when HDTV hit the market, then came right back to D*. When the HR10 Tivo hit the market, I was in heaven. What a wonderful device. I set up OTA with a Radio Shack antenna hidden in the garage and told anyone who would listen how they needed HDTV and D*.

Then, tragically, my HR10 harddrive wore out and D* replaced it with the HR20. I'm in a 2 year contract, but I have all the problems complained of here on the forum. Shows don't get recorded. Shows are recorded and auto deleted immediately. Manual recording settings won't work at all. Contrary to salesman and userguide, I don't have my OTA channels anymore. I've spent week after week rebooting, talking to Level 2 tech support, and manually forcing software updates. Ugh.

Today, I made my first trip to the Dish Network web site to explore a direct alternative. Why shouldn't I switch immediately? The HR20 is defective. It won't reliably record and we don't know when the fixes will arrive. :mad:
Tivo wasn't any better then DirecTV in the beginning. So you should consider this first before quitting. It's not hardware... it's software learning curve... Until you have atleast FiOS, wait until DirecTV corrects the bugs in the software.

· Banned
90 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Tivo wasn't any better then DirecTV in the beginning. So you should consider this first before quitting. It's not hardware... it's software learning curve... Until you have atleast FiOS, wait until DirecTV corrects the bugs in the software.
Not ture, Tivo was fantastic from the moment it came out, more DTV employee shill propaganda to be ignored

· Icon
797 Posts
geaux1 said:
Not ture, Tivo was fantastic from the moment it came out, more DTV employee shill propaganda to be ignored
Baloney, I was there, October 4, 2000 the very first week. I remember the bugs, deleted recordings, shows that you were watching in buffer jumping to the end when recording completed, no dual tuner activated, dolby digital dropouts like CRAZY, inability to pick up Sunday Ticket guide data without a full reboot and on and on.

If you want to talk about SA TiVo, I was on board with software 1.2 and remember a 6 hour guided setup that had to be repeated if there was any lineup change and a million other things.

Now TiVo has been very stable for a very long time, but don't re-write the history.

Xaa

PS That same DSR6000 chugs upstairs as a backup. A few drive replacements, but still going.

· Legend
136 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
My Sony SAT-60 DirecTivo has been perfect since the day I installed it in Feb 2001. Only changes have been the addition of the 2nd tuner by software upgrade and the 2nd hard disk I installed for capacity. I am unhappy that D* decided to part company with Tivo. It was a mistake. If I had an HD version of the Sony SAT-60 DirecTivo I would stay with D*.

· Banned
90 Posts
Xaa said:
Baloney, I was there, October 4, 2000 the very first week. I remember the bugs, deleted recordings, shows that you were watching in buffer jumping to the end when recording completed, no dual tuner activated, dolby digital dropouts like CRAZY, inability to pick up Sunday Ticket guide data without a full reboot and on and on.

If you want to talk about SA TiVo, I was on board with software 1.2 and remember a 6 hour guided setup that had to be repeated if there was any lineup change and a million other things.

Now TiVo has been very stable for a very long time, but don't re-write the history.

Xaa

PS That same DSR6000 chugs upstairs as a backup. A few drive replacements, but still going.
Well, I just don't believe this is true. It is just never ceases to amaze em the number of apologists for DTV's piss poor customer service and eprformance on HD and in particular the HR 20. Now on HD, really I don;t care that much about the whole HD light thing. It's still so far beter than standard that I am happy with it because the PQ on SD for DTV and what they offer is so much better anyway I don;t GAS that much. Would be nice to have non HD Lite, but not a deal breaker by any stretch, i'd rather have more channels, when they are available and let's face it, there isn;t that much more available. But the HR20 and their service is a joke,a nd the apologists here smell of employees and shills, plain and simple. Another poor buss. decision by DTV.

But I will agree, and I have been very critical so I think you can take this with some degree of honesty, that over the last several weeks since the last two updates, that the performance of my HR20 has increased dramatically. In spite of the stupidity of DTV's incompetent decision to cut off direct access to retention, the only intelligent voice out there, (sometime tech support can be IF you get the right person) I was able to fix the problem caused by the last update without their draconian solution they always offer.

My HR20's functions are now mostly working, it now almost always records my sports package games instead of never, still not perfect as it should, but at it does not never record them, and it now always records my MPEG4 shows whereas before it only did it about 50% of the time. A lot of other things work better too. SO there is definite major progress.

· Icon
797 Posts
geaux1 said:
Well, I just don't believe this is true.
Then you weren't there. I wish your belief is what it took for those events to have been real. It would have saved a little stress. :rolleyes:

It is just never ceases to amaze em the number of apologists for DTV's piss poor customer service and eprformance on HD and in particular the HR 20. Now on HD, really I don;t care that much about the whole HD light thing. It's still so far beter than standard that I am happy with it because the PQ on SD for DTV and what they offer is so much better anyway I don;t GAS that much. Would be nice to have non HD Lite, but not a deal breaker by any stretch, i'd rather have more channels, when they are available and let's face it, there isn;t that much more available. But the HR20 and their service is a joke,a nd the apologists here smell of employees and shills, plain and simple. Another poor buss. decision by DTV.
I didn't apologize for anything, I just corrected your prior post with the facts of how it was with TiVo. I was there. I'm not saying it sucked, but your "TiVo was fantastic the moment it came out" is just not true.

But I will agree, and I have been very critical so I think you can take this with some degree of honesty, that over the last several weeks since the last two updates, that the performance of my HR20 has increased dramatically. In spite of the stupidity of DTV's incompetent decision to cut off direct access to retention, the only intelligent voice out there, (sometime tech support can be IF you get the right person) I was able to fix the problem caused by the last update without their draconian solution they always offer.

My HR20's functions are now mostly working, it now almost always records my sports package games instead of never, still not perfect as it should, but at it does not never record them, and it now always records my MPEG4 shows whereas before it only did it about 50% of the time. A lot of other things work better too. SO there is definite major progress.
Well, we're a couple of months in now. Sounds like you missed the first several months of the Dtivo. They make a difference.

Xaa

· DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Before you throw in the towel... do you want Comcast? If you don't want Comcast, can you get FiOS from Verizon? If yes on FiOS, say goodbye DirecTV...:lol:
I am perfectly happy with my HR20's, in fact I will be dumping my HR10's on ebay as soon as I catch up on the shows. Now I just got installed very recently so I have not endured the problems that a lot of the early folks did. I am glad they delayed my install by two months, it sounds like they have stabilized the platform significantly in that time frame.

· DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
geaux1 said:
I disagree with this also. My Sat t60 was great, but I had to go through three HR10's when they initially launched before I got a good one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.