DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
We don't know.

I am sure some of it will be a blend between Free/PPV style.

Wouldn't be surprised if there would be some "channels" available for premium as well in the long run.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
wmschultz said:
That was a very diplomatic answer there EB.
But what else do you want?

Nothing other then it is going to be in Beta in Q12007 has been announced yet. Just applying some common sense to the situation, blending in some of the information I have on it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
wmschultz said:
I completely agree with you. I was actually commending you. Nice tact.

:goodjob:
Thank you.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Nothing other then it is going to be in Beta in Q12007 has been announced yet.
I wonder how they are going to run the Beta program, and if it will actually get launched this quarter. Have 3 months to see! hopefully i can be in the beta group!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jabd said:
To clarify...
Is the plan to send the the request for a VOD program go out over the internet and then the program will be downloaded via satellite?
Don't know.

·
Icon
3,280 Posts
do you need a new D* hd/dvr to access on-demand or will they enable it on all recievers like the r-15s???

·
Icon
3,280 Posts
could D* come up with a way to obtain the ON-DEMAND throught RG-6 similar to the way fios does???

with fiber the one connection goes from the STB to an outside spliter than on the spliter an rg-6 hits the FIOS router to access the demand service. and on the bottom of the spliter there is an rg-6 that goes to the fiber ONT.

could D* change there multi switches to get the VOD through rg-6 or would i have to
1) lease 3 HDDVR's (to get vod in every room)
2) get my house wired for cat-5 in every room near the reciever?

if its gonna be this much of a problem to get VOD tha i too might switch to FTTP when available.

·
Legend
115 Posts
dtv757 said:
could D* come up with a way to obtain the ON-DEMAND throught RG-6 similar to the way fios does???

with fiber the one connection goes from the STB to an outside spliter than on the spliter an rg-6 hits the FIOS router to access the demand service. and on the bottom of the spliter there is an rg-6 that goes to the fiber ONT.

could D* change there multi switches to get the VOD through rg-6 or would i have to
1) lease 3 HDDVR's (to get vod in every room)
2) get my house wired for cat-5 in every room near the reciever?

if its gonna be this much of a problem to get VOD tha i too might switch to FTTP when available.
I think it's entirely to early to speculate on anything until they actually announce beta testing, then we will be able to get more information. Sounds like fun though, hope it's available for me to beta test as well.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Kevin Dupuy said:
Which would mean HR20, unless DIRECTV come out with a network adapter over USB, which I believe TiVo does.
Not necessarily.
There are the wireless adapters for RJ-45 connections.

·
Godfather
479 Posts
I can't wait to see how d* implements vod. VOD is the one thing comcast has that I wish d* had. I hope they get ome good free content as well. I like the idea of starz, HBO and showtime on demand. It will be great if they come up with a good system.

·
Godfather
274 Posts
This is just a guess, but if your HR20 is connectied to the internet, couldn't/wouldn't it contact D*TV? therefore D*TV would know how many of us have networked our HR20's and hence they would have a beta group?
Seems the average consumer would not have it networked. I have not connected it to my wireless networks as we are a Mac household, so there seemed no reason to. But now when I lookin setup/info it says: INTERNET ! Not connected.
as though it should be
so I will connect it and perhaps get a suprise someday.
Dan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.