DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DTV Raising Prices and New packages??

112K views 810 replies 218 participants last post by  jtrain73 
#1 ·
I was looking on DTV web site today under latest news, then new channels added and noticed they have new packages and new pricing. $49.99 for choice, 54.99 for choice xtra, plus w/DVR 59.99 and plus w/ DVR and HD 69.99. Anyone else notice this and when the new prices take effect for us. Also HBO is going up $1.00 to start out at $13.00 Starz, Cinemax and Showtime star out at $12.00.

#7 ·
this is crazy what is it that every provider has raised prices this year this is crazy. before today i was telling ppl how i have sceen every provider raise there prices except D* but now it looks like i stand corrected.

this is crazy everthing has gone up.

LOCAL COX
analog cable was $43.35 now $46

FIOS TV
premier was $39.99 now $42.99

ECHOSTAR
??? i saw there prices went up but i didnt pay attention in detail.

DIRECTV
total choice (current customers) was $44.99 now $49.99 (thats crazy)
total choice (new customers) $39.99 for 12 months.

internet--------------
cox internet
5/2 was $39.99 now $41.99 (every internet package was jumped up $2)

verizon dsl (online ordering before 12-1-06)
768 $14.99
3.0 $29.99

Dry loop DSL
768 $19.99
3.0 $34.99

verizon DSL (after 12-1-06 online ordering)
768 $19.99

dry loop dsl
768 $24.99

VERIZON FIOS DATA (before 12-16-06)
5/2 $34.99
15/2 $44.99

verizon FIOS DATA (after 12-16-06
5/2 $39.99
15/2 $49.99

so before i could even get fios data in my area the price jumps,

what is it that caused everthing go up in price this year???

#8 ·
I was on there earlier about 8:50 pm and now it's 11:00 pm and it has been changed back to the old packages. I smell a rat. I wonder if this got put on there by mistake. I called to cancel HBO and asked the CSR about it and she said she didn't think they were raising prices, but we know they are never informed of much. I said i seen it on your web site. It's gone for now anyway. I have a feeling prices are going to go up, but that was quite a jump. Hope i haven't stumbled onto something that wasn't suppose to be known yet and now have no evidence to back it up.

#10 ·
I was going back thru my history and as i was selecting on DTV pages and they would switch vey quickly from the packages above back to the old packages. Just plain weird. I am on this site all the time and haven't heard of any price increases. That's why i posted this post from what was on there web site hoping someone else saw or heard something.

#11 ·
Hi,
If there is a price increase, in the works, going from past history it will take effect on March 1st, and that's still a big if at this point. Also its possible that Directv was making preperations for changing the web site and accidently posted it. More than like csr's wouldn't be informed until Feb if there is a price change coming.

#12 ·
I'm not sure I could conclude that any plans not to raise prices would not necessarily change given the change in ownership going on right now anyway. It may not have been in the works for a price increase, but unless that were stated in the sales (transfer, whatever) contract, there's nothing that says Malone couldn't institute a price increase. I don't recall seeing any previous press releases that indicated the plan for DirtecTv to NOT raise prices, either.

Given that the pay TV industry generally does have a price increase after the first of the year anyway, any price increase in the near future would not surprise me - though it would be very disappointing.

#14 ·
I saw on their site earlier today. They had a Total Choice Plus package with HD (didn't notice the price) and a Total Choice Plus package with HD and DVR for $69.99. I just looked again and it's gone. I guess someone mistakenly pushed a button before they issued a press release about an increase.

#16 ·
Every provider will raise prices.I really get a kick out of people who think that all this HD that people want ,the new satellites, new programs should be for Free.If
the companies would try to absorb the cost they would go out of business.I for one will gladly pay more for my DirecTV.It sure beats Dishnotwork.:D

#17 ·
Jhon69 said:
Every provider will raise prices.I really get a kick out of people who think that all this HD that people want ,the new satellites, new programs should be for Free.If
the companies would try to absorb the cost they would go out of business.I for one will gladly pay more for my DirecTV.It sure beats Dishnotwork.:D
Not sure any of us on this forum is asking that DirecTV be free. Costs a lot to put up those satellites, pay the program fees and provide installation and customer service.

But I just checked my most recent bill. I don't subscribe to a lot of packages, so my monthly bill is "only" about $100, or about $1,200 per year. That's not free, for sure.

We know inflation for most things has been under control for the last couple of years. It's makes sense to wonder why they need to raise their prices. I guess they are hoping that most subscribers won't jump ship to Dish or cable.

They do have some short-term captive customers, as subscribers extend their committment when they get new HD receivers and DVRs. But long term, that strategy can backfire.

I used to get more premium channels, since I felt the prices were pretty good compared to cable. As DirecTV has raised prices, like some others here, I've tended to drop off channels that I didn't watch much, to keep my total bill about the same. At some point I'll run out of premium channels I can drop....

#19 ·
SO Dish is going up on the top 120/soon to be 200 , and top 180/soon to be 250 , by $3.00. AEP goes up by $5.00 as well. All hd subs that had Plat pack will go up by $10.00. So Directv is going up by $5.00 across the board? Still a cheaper increase than Dish's Plat pack at $10.00.

#20 ·
I went to the Wayback Machine website. http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
The last updated page listed was Aug of 2006. It did not have the page with the new prices and packages. I am not sure how the archive works so I don't know if it will show up later.

Update: OK, I didn't read the "about the Wayback Machine" on the lefthand side of the page. The latest page on any websie you enter will be in Aug., so if D* is changing packages and prices we will hear about it before it shows up on the Wayback website

#21 ·
dbsdog said:
We know inflation for most things has been under control for the last couple of years. It's makes sense to wonder why they need to raise their prices.
Maybe their employees want health insurance and to put gas in their cars?

These are not charities or public services, these are for-profit entertainment companies. Why are so many people acting like this is first time they've encountered Capitalism?

(plus in DTV's case, they have to recoup all the money they lost reimbursing people for the R15 problems!)

ApK

#22 ·
Mike D-CO5 said:
SO Dish is going up on the top 120/soon to be 200 , and top 180/soon to be 250 , by $3.00. AEP goes up by $5.00 as well. All hd subs that had Plat pack will go up by $10.00. So Directv is going up by $5.00 across the board? Still a cheaper increase than Dish's Plat pack at $10.00.
HD pack has been 20 dollars since last year (except platinum)..The GRANDFATHEREDHD pack is still 10 bucks

#24 ·
Yet another reason not to upgrade to the HR20 and get locked into a 2 year commitment at this time.

I've been waiting for the HR20 to be demonstrably more stable than a water bed. I tried to upgrade to an HR10-250 at the end of the summer and was persuaded by the CSR to wait another "month" because the next generation box was coming out and it was an upgrade from the current model. Debatable to say the least, at least so far.

Now this significant rate hike may be in the wings.

I'm still in wait and see (or wait and fix) mode. Sitting tight for now.

Maybe there will be more channels bundled with the more expensive packages to justify the increase...like the REELZ west coast feed (yippee!) or LOGO2.

*sigh*

#25 ·
Mike D-CO5 said:
But if you compare apples to apples, Dish might cost more but they have the most HD channels around

#26 ·
HarleyD said:
Now this significant rate hike may be in the wings.
Define Significant?

I have seen the "proposed" rate hikes.. on average it is about $2 a month.
There are some other combinations that could end up more...

If Dish Network had to raise their prices...
If Cable-Co's had to raise their prices...
And now DirecTV ...

What do you think the common-denominator is for all this... the content providers are raising "their" prices. So as much as we want to blame the carriers for the price increases... don't you think they would love to be the cheapest game in town?

Before you ask, no... I can't post the proposed price changes... as I haven't confirmed that they are in fact the ones that are going to happen (even though I don't have any reason to believe they are not).

What is going to get even more confusing, is that the packages are being tweaked so that those that are on fixed incomes, or just can't afford the increase, have some options stay pretty close to what they have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.