DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1] My new UTV Sony SAT W-60 locks both tuners to DirecTV at 90s% Tuner 1 and 80s% Tuner 2 strength...but only on odd-numbered transponders. Even-numbered transponders only locked Tuner 1. Tuner 2 had 0% on even-number transponders.

2] System Test says Tuner 1 is OK. Tuner 2 Fails.

To run this down, I first swapped cables at the dual LNB -- same result so both elements of the LNB should be ok. That should prove out each cable too, right?

Next I swap cables at the Tuner inputs. Now signal tests are also swapped, and System Test says Tuner 1 Fails. Tuner 2 is OK. So neither tuner is broken as far as detecting signal, right?
Naturally PIP fails at this moment. btw, I did not change channels during all this.

Is there something amiss in the polarization voltage commands getting issued from the tuner, thru the cable, to the LNB that could explain it?

How should I check voltages?

When/how are the LNBs commanded to flip polarization?

What help can I expect from Sony Tech Support or a Local Installer on the phone? [I did order the $60 DirecTV Service Plan when I activated yesterday].

BTW, how do I command the UTV to use the second Tuner to record, or is it only invoked when 2 recording events coincide?

Incidently when locating the satellite, the DirecTV "tech support" would give NO support [guess their only concern is with their uplink content].

RCA dish installation kit 1-800-679-4776 "set-up help" is an automated support line that doesn't give much more than the 4-page sheet and video that comes in the kit, but you can preview.

-- Hung up. I don't even want to touch the MultiSwitch yet to crank up the second UTV downstairs.

G

·
It sounds like your cable since you say it switched when swapped the connections on the receiver(tuner).

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, CT

It was one of the cables from the LNB to the Ground Block.
Oddly none of the 8 F-connectors I crimped on, but one of the connectors from the RCA self-install kit had a tiny bit of aluminum shield left to reach across to the copper center wire. Hard to spot.

Before you string your cables or hook them up put your continuity meter between the center wire and the outer connector to check for a short anywhere along that cable. [I had only pre-checked my home-built cables for end-to-end continuity, not shorts. I neglected to check the RCA prefabricated cables at all.]

Now PIP works, and signals are 88-98% each tuner. I'm ready to make the popcorn. C'mon over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.