1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,436 Posts
Yawn….didn’t even know it was carried on DTV. We really don’t watch any of those (ahem) news channels- too involved in sports, movies, food network and a few others.

Reactions: AZ.

·
Icon
1,260 Posts
With the huge drop in viewership on cnn....heres hoping they are next to be dropped...

Reactions: SamC and danielb57

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
CNN is part of AT&T's TimeWarner. Unlikely to be dropped.
AT&T was contributing a lot of the funding for OAN according to the article and that may or may not be something they're walking away from.

Reactions: AZ.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Not for that reason, since AT&T is spinning out TimeWarner this year.
And even then I doubt Discovery or whomever buys TimeWarner is going to completely shut down CNN. I can see a huge retooling happening or at least enough of one that might draw some eye balls back to CNN.

And yes I'm aware of AT&T funding OAN.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Perhaps being an Election Year --the Thought police must take more control?

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
Or less control.

The established networks that have been around for 30 years have ratings and viewers and are paid to be a part of the lineup on satellite and cable services. The less established networks either have to accept far less pay or pay for their distribution. Space on a system costs money - most "public interest" channels on satellite are paying for their carriage. OANN / AWE do not qualify as "public interest" on satellite (channels must be non-commercial) but DIRECTV has treated many channels the same way. Pay for carriage.

OANN / AWE are not highly rated channels (partially due to their lack of distribution) and yet they have been paid for their presence on DIRECTV. Their contract is ending. Why should DIRECTV continue to pay OANN when other similar channels are paying for distribution?

Nothing personal, just business.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
Perhaps being an Election Year --the Thought police must take more control?
I am sure if OAN wants to remain they can pay to be there like Fox CNN and MSNBC does

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
I am sure if OAN wants to remain they can pay to be there like Fox CNN and MSNBC does
Those three are paid for their presence, but they have earned their place (love them or hate them - don't tell me which) by being close to the top of the ratings charts. The channels that pay would be Blaze TV or NewsMax. No payment, no carriage.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
Those three are paid for their presence, but they have earned their place (love them or hate them - don't tell me which) by being close to the top of the ratings charts. The channels that pay would be Blaze TV or NewsMax. No payment, no carriage.
It goes both ways. The higher the ratings the higher the ad revenue which the carrier gets a piece of

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
It goes both ways. The higher the ratings the higher the ad revenue which the carrier gets a piece of
That's entirely up to the contract negotiations. Many contracts allow for local ad insertion by the carrier but I'd imagine that most don't contemplate profit sharing.

·
Legend
370 Posts
Fox paid to be on all outlets for ten years....in the early days

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
I called dtv yesterday and they said they are in negotions with oann and gave me a 10.27 credict

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
They didn’t announce it four months ahead of time with the intention of negotiating it’s gone

·
Registered
138 Posts
They didn’t announce it four months ahead of time with the intention of negotiating it’s gone
Well if they are stupid to listen to someone thats polling at 30 % dtv deservers their fate

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 111 Posts