DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I'm getting an R15 DVR installed this Friday. I already have a DirecTivo in the living room but wanted a DVR in the bedroom.

The rep at DirecTV mentioned that they'll have to make a second cable run to the box, but my dish outputs are all in use. Do installers put a multiplexer or splitter in these situations? Do they cancel the install? What would happen in my case?

Thanks in advance.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
litzdog911 said:
The installer should provide a multiswitch to add additional outputs for your dish. Be sure that they know ahead of time that you'll need a multiswitch. Most likely it will be a Zinwell WB68 that provides 8 outputs.
Thank you. Do they normally install multiswitches in the room or do they have to install them at the antenna? Also, do you know if they'll make me pay for the multiswitch? I mean, this is basically the antenna's fault that there is no more connections available...

·
Legend
188 Posts
aubrey_q said:
Thank you. Do they normally install multiswitches in the room or do they have to install them at the antenna? Also, do you know if they'll make me pay for the multiswitch? I mean, this is basically the antenna's fault that there is no more connections available...
They installed my multiswitch in the basement where all the runs originate from; i.e. "homerun". It cost $75 for the switch.

Bill

·
4 Posts
aubrey_q said:
My multi-switch is in the room.
I had 2 cables already coming into the house and to avoid drilling another hole in the wall for a third cable, the installer put the multi-switch inside behind the TV.
The switch is a SAM3402, it is approx. 3" x 2", has 2 sat inputs, 1 ant input and 4 outputs. I was not charged for the switch, but this was a new install.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I think they'll pretty much have to install the switch behind the TV because I really see no other way.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
Are you sure all your dish outputs are used? I have the 3 LNB oval with the built in multiswitch. When I upgraded my D11 to a second R15 last Aug, they just ran one more cable.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
For any of the multi-satellite dishes (3 and 5 LNB) you will need to have ALL of the outputs from the dish (4 of them) connected to the inputs of the multiswitch. You can't use only two lines.

Then you run lines from the multiswitch to each receiver or dvr tuner.

Usually, you want to put the multiswitch someplace that is easy to run all the lines from the dish to, then wire from there to all your tv locations.

Carl

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
carl6 said:
For any of the multi-satellite dishes (3 and 5 LNB) you will need to have ALL of the outputs from the dish (4 of them) connected to the inputs of the multiswitch. You can't use only two lines.

Then you run lines from the multiswitch to each receiver or dvr tuner.

Usually, you want to put the multiswitch someplace that is easy to run all the lines from the dish to, then wire from there to all your tv locations.

Carl
Carl, I have a 3-LNB dish and if what you say is correct, then this could result in either a no-install or just have the DVR with one line (I know, I know). There is simply no feasable way I can get a second run into my bedroom. They would have to drill into the vinyl that's lining up the walls outside my house, and in the second floor to boot. I'll definitely bring this up to the installer when he calls.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
aubrey_q said:
There is simply no feasable way I can get a second run into my bedroom. They would have to drill into the vinyl that's lining up the walls outside my house, and in the second floor to boot. I'll definitely bring this up to the installer when he calls.
They'll do that. They ran my 2nd line around the house, up to the second floor, through the wall and through a closet to an interior wall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.