• Remote Access

Votes: 140 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You know, I was thinking about this. DLB is currently much more important to me, but if "Remote Access" comes with two-way synching it would be pretty sweet. By two way I mean once enabled, I can send the list of SP to my DirecTV account, so that when I use the "Remote Access" it can check conflicts "live".

If nothing else, browsing the list of "what's going to record" in my spare time at work might spare me the occasional missed recording due to conflict. Or if there's a late-breaking change, I can alter things from the office and have it set before I get home.

I think Remote Access is similar to DLB in that once you get it, it's hard to imagine living without it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jcricket said:
I think Remote Access is similar to DLB in that once you get it, it's hard to imagine living without it.
I would agree, that both will change the way you use a DVR...

But even in my foggestest imagination, I can't see me relying on Remote Access that much (after the initial...ooohhhh let's try it out).

But as I have said about most features in the system....
They are not all for everynoe... but doesn't make them "less important".

·
Banned
87 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

But even in my foggestest imagination, I can't see me relying on Remote Access that much (after the initial...ooohhhh let's try it out).

AAAHHHH, the voice of reason. When is everyone going to understand, that the first thing D* needs to do is make the HR20 have the same functionality and dependability as the HR10. Software interface aside. I could care less about the interface. Give me DLB and OTA along with some inkling of dependability and I'll start using it.

DLB.

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I have remote access via TivoWebplus on my DTivo and while it's nice it isn't that big a deal. It doesn't change the way you watch TV like DLB does. I've had it and while I would like to keep it it wouldn't be that big a deal if I couldn't. Now MRV on the other hand I can't give up....

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

You cannot imagine it because I am guessing you dont travel much. However, try going on a 3 week road trip, then it becomes essential. You are on a trip you get to watch TV one night so you go back and delete those shows on your DVR to save space. You hear about something that you will want to watch so you log on and schedule it to record. I am considering getting a slingbox but it seems like a lot for what I used to believe was basic functionality (my old ReplayTV).

·
Icon
777 Posts
PoitNarf said:
From what I recall reading, remote scheduling (most likely via D*.com) is in the works and will be implemented.
I really hope this isn't true. ReplayTV did the same thing and it sucked. You could only schedule things 24 hours or more in the future because the replay had to dial in to get the data and update your schedules on the server. I would much rather have realtime access to the unit to check on recording status, schedule new recordings, etc and not have to have my viewing data and preferences stored on a server.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
dervari said:
I really hope this isn't true. ReplayTV did the same thing and it sucked. You could only schedule things 24 hours or more in the future because the replay had to dial in to get the data and update your schedules on the server. I would much rather have realtime access to the unit to check on recording status, schedule new recordings, etc and not have to have my viewing data and preferences stored on a server.
SA Tivos do it from the remote server and I think you have to do it within the hour. I would much rather not have to open up ports on the router and firewall if at all possible.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
dervari said:
In theory, you could force the HR20 to establish a PPP connection on-demand through the Internet based on password, etc. An HTTP-like service would need to run on the HR20 for the scheduling. This would almost certainly require a high speed line, so remote access would require the Ethernet Cable and a Home Network.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
brott said:
In theory, you could force the HR20 to establish a PPP connection on-demand through the Internet based on password, etc. An HTTP-like service would need to run on the HR20 for the scheduling. This would almost certainly require a high speed line, so remote access would require the Ethernet Cable and a Home Network.
You forget that DirecTV just so happens to have a 24/7 pipe directly into every HR20: the satellites. They can send down a command telling the HR20 to do whatever they want it to do. They do not need to initiate things over the Internet.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Jeremy W said:
You forget that DirecTV just so happens to have a 24/7 pipe directly into every HR20: the satellites. They can send down a command telling the HR20 to do whatever they want it to do. They do not need to initiate things over the Internet.
Yes, but real-time access to the box would require an active link directly into the HR20. DirecTV could do a radio-IP type connection through the Satellite link, but the return traffic would have to be over either a phone line or (more likely) the Internet since the Satellite connection is one-way. Since Firewalls would invariably block access back through the internet, the best method would be to create an on-demand Point-to-Point connection from the HR20 to DirecTV through the Internet. A command issued through the Satellite to the HR20 would be used to initiate the PPP link. Once the PPP link is established, then real-time changes should be available since the PPP connection would allow two-way communication. A Service would need to run on the HR20 to handle the requests.

Any other method would be near real-time access and would require storage of settings/info on DirecTV's servers. The HR20 could then sync to these servers every 15-60 minutes (depending on implementation). This may be the method they choose since the data they would collect could be sold.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
brott said:
Any other method would be near real-time access and would require storage of settings/info on DirecTV's servers. The HR20 could then sync to these servers every 15-60 minutes (depending on implementation). This may be the method they choose since the data they would collect could be sold.
To me this sounds like a reasonable compromise. Set up the receiver to sync any changes and check in for any new changes with DirecTV's web site (or something) every 5, 15, 30 or 60 minutes. The data transferred should be small (it's not the shows themselves, and not the program guide data, it's just your teensy list of SPs, and maybe what you have recorded).

Sure, it's not "perfect", but I think it would work pretty well for most people.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Another approach: have the Directv server send messages via satellite and receive information via network. (Asymmetric routing)

Yet another approach: (One I like better) have the Directv server send one message via satellite to the receiver which then initiates a bi-directional link to the Directv server over the internet. This doesn't require me to open ports on my firewalls, doesn't have the latency of a sat. link to the network, simpler data routing, and keeps internet traffic on the internet and sat. traffic on the sat.

Merry Christmas, (I'll get patent request into the PO later today...)
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
tibber said:
Another approach: have the Directv server send messages via satellite and receive information via network. (Asymmetric routing)

Yet another approach: (One I like better) have the Directv server send one message via satellite to the receiver which then initiates a bi-directional link to the Directv server over the internet. This doesn't require me to open ports on my firewalls, doesn't have the latency of a sat. link to the network, simpler data routing, and keeps internet traffic on the internet and sat. traffic on the sat.

Merry Christmas, (I'll get patent request into the PO later today...)
Tom
Didn't I say that? :scratchin

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
brott said:
Didn't I say that? :scratchin
Yes, you did. I missed thine most excellent post :) ...my bad... I'll put your name on the patent (dagnabbit...)

Merry Christmas,
Tom

81 - 94 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.