DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started out at the Tivo Community asking about any way to modify the HR10-250 like my DISH VIP 622 DVR. The answer was really "No" so I asked about any DVR HD from D*? Some conflicting info was received concerning outputting SD & HD at the same time and if the PQ and picture size would be acceptable for my set-up.

Question is who has a HR20 and is outputting both a HD signal and the same program using a SD signal at the same time ? Does it work to your satisfaction? I have three other LCD sets networked ( 4 if you count this computer) by RG6 to my SD D* Tivo and my E* VIP 622 DVR and they work great. Since the HR10-250 never had this dual output design I first thought it could make sense to up-grade (may be only reason @ present) to the HR20 DVR to have this function and eliminate my SD D* tivo.

I can understand why some in the Tivo camp may not really know but I'm sure someone here has this setup now and what are the true results? Thanks for any input.

PS: was going to keep my HR10-250 and just add the HR10 to replace the D* SD tivo if this makes any sense.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
I don't have my outputs sent to separate TVs, but I do know that all the outputs of the HR20 are active simultaneously - just for grins my HR20 has both component and S-video running through my A/V receiver at the same time.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
It works on multipule sets/monitors.
Don't have it setup that way now but I did for awhile.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
mdickson said:
It works on multipule sets/monitors.
Don't have it setup that way now but I did for awhile.
I use all outputs all the time and they work fine. (simultaneously)

·
Legend
325 Posts
I use the HR20-700 dual output capability daily in my setup and it is a vast improvement over the need to manually switch between 1080i and 480i on the HR10-250.

I send the component video outputs directly to my Sony SXRD in the main viewing room and the Composite Video/Audio outputs to a Channel Vision modulator which in turn broadcasts the 480i signal thruout the house on channel 50.

I recently replaced my 4:3 remote TV's in the kitchen and bedrooms with 19" Samsung LNS1951W HDTV's in order to view the output in widescreen mode. I must say from 5 to 6 feet or more distance the picture on the Samsung is so good you would swear you were looking at HDTV, not 480i widescreen.

I broadcast the signals from my two HR10-250's on channels 60 and 70 respectively but as mentioned above I must downrez from 1080i to 480i manually if I want to see the signal outside the main viewing area.

Now that I have had the HR20-700 for a few weeks, I really like the capability to move from room to room watching that all important football game in multiple venues without carrying a remote control with me to flip between 1080i and 480i as one must still do with the Tivos.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Leftcoastdave said:
I use the HR20-700 dual output capability daily in my setup and it is a vast improvement over the need to manually switch between 1080i and 480i on the HR10-250.

I send the component video outputs directly to my Sony SXRD in the main viewing room and the Composite Video/Audio outputs to a Channel Vision modulator which in turn broadcasts the 480i signal thruout the house on channel 50.

I recently replaced my 4:3 remote TV's in the kitchen and bedrooms with 19" Samsung LNS1951W HDTV's in order to view the output in widescreen mode. I must say from 5 to 6 feet or more distance the picture on the Samsung is so good you would swear you were looking at HDTV, not 480i widescreen.

I broadcast the signals from my two HR10-250's on channels 60 and 70 respectively but as mentioned above I must downrez from 1080i to 480i manually if I want to see the signal outside the main viewing area.

Now that I have had the HR20-700 for a few weeks, I really like the capability to move from room to room watching that all important football game in multiple venues without carrying a remote control with me to flip between 1080i and 480i as one must still do with the Tivos.
This is a bit off topic, but a capability that's enabled by the dual outputs. I'm considering the Channel Vision scheme you're describing above to take the 480i output of my SD Tivo and the 480i output of my HR20 and broadcast both throughout the house to my other TVs. With this I could create a media hub so I can watch content off either hard drive in any room. How has your experience been with the Channel Vision stuff, and do you use the IR add-ons?

·
Mentor
32 Posts
absolutbob said:
This is a bit off topic, but a capability that's enabled by the dual outputs. I'm considering the Channel Vision scheme you're describing above to take the 480i output of my SD Tivo and the 480i output of my HR20 and broadcast both throughout the house to my other TVs. With this I could create a media hub so I can watch content off either hard drive in any room. How has your experience been with the Channel Vision stuff, and do you use the IR add-ons?
As long as we are off topic...
Use Channel Vision, with it setup right you can use it the way you have described.
The IR works great.
I use my channel vision and D* more for audio. I have an old school D* receiver
setup just for use with the XM channels and then route through the house via Niles
'Whole House Audio', I use IR and programable remotes to 'surf' the music in any room in the house. (6 Source 10 room system)
On the video side I have HR20 setup for two rooms Using HDMI for the main monitor and then send component to Bed room. (but have not used it in a few weeks I sleep in bed and don't tend to watch TV anymore).

Anywho, yes you can use Channel Vision to do alot of 'cool' syuff and it works great for all kinds of Network IP configs as well.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hasan said:
I use all outputs all the time and they work fine. (simultaneously)
Thanks everyone for the replies! I think this is a selling point to up-grade to HR20 from the HR10-250 with my set-up. Haven't seen many others however, and didn't really see that this was possible with the HR20 until now.

·
Legend
325 Posts
absolutbob said:
The short answer is Channel Vision makes good gear at a good price. I would use it again if faced with the same application.

I presume when you ask about IR add on's that you are asking how I control the devices from the remote locations. I use infra red repeaters in three remote locations and they work just fine depending on the device I am trying to control. For example the HR20-700 and HR10-250's are terrific when activated via infra red repeaters because they have a broad receptor on the unit. My old 1999 vintage ReplayTV's were terrible because they had a narrow reception window on the receiver. I have universal remotes located in the remote rooms and use these to remotely control the native devices back on the mother ship.

As for the Channel Vision modulator, I bought a three channel unit that accepted composite video input and outputted via coax. I selected it at the time (back in 1997) because it seemed as reliable as other brands but cost slightly less per channel (around $150 per channel at the time) than the competition.

The picture quality comes through with minimum signal loss and the audio is more than adequate for mono tv setups. I have not looked at replacing or upgrading the nine year old Channel Vision equipment in a long time but maybe I should. It would be nice to add a few channels for security cameras and other A/V gear like DVD players but that is a whole 'nuther discussion.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
This feature was the sole reason for my upgrade. I have the HR-20 installed in the theater room closet (with the rest of the theater gear) It feeds Component out to the AV receiver (which does component switching) and then to an Infocus In76 projector. I have the output set to "native", as I've found that the upconversion chip in the Infocus does a better job than the HR-20. Audio is fed to the receiver via optical out.

I also have the s-video and L/R audio connected to a $20 RF modulator from Wal Mart. It feeds the signal into the house coax, serving up the signal to the other TVs on channel 4.

Everything works perfectly.

I am curious though, for those of you using the Channel Vision device (which I know nothing about) will it accept a 720p component in, feeding it out 480i? I'd like to find a way to feed my Xbox 360 to the other TVs, since I have the wireless controllers, but I haven't found a way to do it without unplugging the component cables from the receiver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.